So how does Hapkido stack up?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Kframe, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

True... hence the importance of taking every technique and working it faster and faster up to full speed and seeing if it works. If it doesn't work, drop it from your 'go-to' list. If it won't work going fairly full speed against an atack you know is coming.... it probably won't work if it is unexpected.

As an 'instructor', I teach pretty much the whole curriculum because different techniques work well for different people. As a student, your 'go-to' list of techniques that fit you, work for you, and that you will use is actually a fairly small core of basic simple stuff you do over and over and know works for you. I think sometimes people get sucked into the 'I have to learn all of the techniques for the test' mode instead of filtering and building a set of techniques that will serve your purpose effectively.

Unfortunately I think Hapkido (and other arts) tend to accumulate a lot of material that is suitable for demos-only and often this is what gets propagated around in videos and this is what students think they should be learning. Simpler is better... and so is making sure it works against speed and power.

2. Juddy

Juddy New Member

You'll find alot of Hapkido styles and other styles including TKD will practice punch evasion/catching as part of feeding into certain techniques such as counter strikes and locks, it gives momentum for throws. Other styles that I have experienced that do multiple punches are Silat and Kali although they use the term "dirty boxing techniques".
    If you are concerned about defending against realistic striking cross training in boxing works.
    I used to box and find it translated well for anticipating punches and compliments my Hapkido training.
    Hope this helps