So exited

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by MATT_LIQUID, Oct 8, 2002.

1. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

Hi guys i cant wait to start ju jitsu. I m 17 and I v been lifing weights for about a year now, so i thought that it would mix well with 1 of the most respected martial arts in the world.

Recently I was attaked with a knife..... I almost went blind, thats not the worst of it. The person who attaked me was 12 and he had no motive for doing it.(next time a child threatens me I will take him more serious)

Now I get to my question. how long does it take for a super fit individual who has a boxing backround, runs and lifts weights to get good at ju jitsu?

Hope to have some replies,

Peace out MATT.

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Depends, depends, depends!

I'd think you'd be looking at about 5 years (at least) in our style anyway, but - as I said above - it depends. The instructor, your aptitude, your attitude, times you can train, etc.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Our people usually get pretty funcional at the JJ elememts of our system in about 18months to 2 years. That is - standing grappling, takedowns & groundfighting. I'd certainly rate them against a person with no grappling experience in about a year.

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I have to study with you sometime YODA - not that i'm a great fighter, but to pick your brains...............wow!

Congratulations on 300 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

6 months, 3 years, maybe never. What style of JJ are you practicing?

Col

6. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Kids these days
    LoL
    ------------------------------
    Sorry to here about Your Eye

7. Dragon_Princess

Dragon_Princess Princess Available

I'd say about a year or a year and a half.:)

8. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

To learn ju jitsu and be good about 2 to 5 years but to get good at self defence this must be within a couple of weeks.

9. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

Hope you've started now

One thing I would remember is that jujitsu doesn't make you invincible to the cold steel of a blade. Even through years of training nothing is guaranteed. I've been doing knife defence for just over 10 years and there are sometimes in a training session when I get 'stuck' by my student. As long as you remember that no technique is infallible then you will go far. I find a fast pair of legs much better. :)

10. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Train hard and the self defence should come quickly, being "skilled" however takes a lot longer. After a few weeks in Kempo i was attacked and used the basics to great advantge. Straight punches and blocks was what did it. I responded like I was taught, although it was very basic to where i am now.

11. johnson

johnson Valued Member

self defense

jj is good complement to boxing - see it as whole body boxing where any technique and part of the body is part of the syllabus. Because the range is so vast it takes a long time to learn. it should take 7 - 10 years to get a black belt in a good style.

if i can do it anyone can. It isnt really something that you can pick up overnight. To find a good club, look at the instructor and ask yourself whether you want to be able to fight in his way in 5 years; look a senior students, what is their standard like compared to the instructor. JJ in the uk has become a bit of a money making machine./ There are some clubs around who do train for the art. We pay £3 a session. We do not pay extra for gis, belts, badges, gradings ete etc. We just pay for the hall.

My experience of jj is that to begin with you are overwhelmed with the vast number of techniques. Gradually you start to observe duplication between different streams of techniques and an overall pattern starts to emerge. The jj that i do has less high impact/power techniques more whip snapping type stunning moves that set up another technique or stretch part of an opponenets body to strike it.

12. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I use to train in Ju-jitsu.Infact i really should go back it wasgreat.
    I totaly agree with scott.The first thinkg i was alwys taught and teach was that if u have a knife pulled on u the best defence is to run.
    As fast as you can.
    Does nebody here no bily doak(wales), Karl grubis or martin curie(Scotland)?

13. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

Guys I'm still waiting to start ju jitsu lol

They keep telling me it will be starting soo?

14. Rob_InDaUk

Rob_InDaUk Grandmaster Sandwich

I was going to start tonight!! But I feinted at school and have to await some test results before i can do any training!! I was very angry at first, having reading myself for the first lesson.

Robert