So are there any schools out there that don't point spar?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Knives101, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Knives101

Knives101 New Member

I know this may sound like a dumb question. I guess I've only been to a handful of schools in my life. And I'm talking about schools that allow punches to the head and mainly focus on self defense. And I don't mean light contact or no contact schools either. No offense to you point sparring guys while I respect it and all it's just not my thing.

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

as you already said it, you have not been to all schools. maybe that's the situation with sparring in your area. in my club we don't do point sparring and such a term or competition does not exist in tkd, only in karate.

3. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Yes. Its a question of finding them. In TKD it is rare - you might want to try something else...

4. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Afraid its a term used in ITF style tournaments all the time, especially for junior grades.. so it does exsist in TKD! Some term is "point stop"

Isnt WTF sparring sort of points sparring with contact anyway!! Afterall, you do stop when a point is scored!

Stuart

5. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Only to cheer for yourself, but no there is no stop in the action in WTF if that is what you are getting at.

6. Ridge

Ridge Now With Added Sarcasm

No stoping in ITF either.

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

no, we do NOT stop when a point is scored and in several seconds you can score several points.

as far the ''term'' is concerned, i meant in tkd schools in my area.

i personally would never do point sparring.

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Bump^^. My brother-in-law is ATA and they "point stop". Each time a point is awarded, the compatents are stopped and then restarted. Not sure how it all works but it seems rather silly. In WTF, you can score 10 points and get knocked out because we don't stop the action.

9. tkdally

tkdally Values sillyness in life

In TAGB sparring there are two types - point stop and contiuous.

Juniors and executives do point stop where the fight is stopped every time a point is scored, the score chart flipped over and then the fight restarted.

Adults usually do continuous sparring where the fight is only stopped in the event that someone's safety kit comes undone, an opponent steps out of the area or falls over, or when a fighter needs a warning. Scores are kept by umpires on each corner and at the end of the fight each umpire shows a colour to indicate which fighter they think won.

Personally I prefer continuous as I hate the constant interruption of point stop and my stubborn streak comes out during continuous.

10. Azeotrope

Azeotrope Valued Member

What's an executive? A person involved in the administration of a business has a special catagory in TKD? :eek:

11. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

An age category! I laughed when I found out that I qualified as an "Executive". No one would confuse me as being an Executive. :D

12. sue1

sue1 Valued Member

According to the TAGB you become old (ie an Executive) at 40 unless you are female in which case you are old at 35 :D

Unfortunately I am in the Executive category although not all competitions have one (our inter club last year didn't).

Sue

13. ronaldk

ronaldk Valued Member

not to mention, point stop makes it a lot less realistic.

ie. if i get in a position where i do score the point, yet i am completely open afterwards, in point stop, i just made a point, while in continious i'd get KTFO. :p

14. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

It depends how you define 'point spar'. WTF could be called 'continuous point' sparring, same as boxing, with the other style being 'point stop'. But maybe Knives101 was asking if anyone fights under rules closer to your usual MMA match?

15. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Have you done any heavy (non-point stop) sparring before?. I take it thats what your after in your training?

Its just ive seen a few people recently who say they dont like point style fighting and they say they want to do full-contact, even though they have never tried it. As soon as they get hit hard they dont like it!!. :D

16. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

There is no referee stoppage after a point is scored in WTF sparring. The fighters may stop their assault to reposition for another attack, or they may continue their attack. It is continuous.

Olympic TKD sparring is for points the same way Olympic boxing is for points.

As for the OP, we do not point spar at my school, but rather practice sparring in Gyeoktugi rules.

17. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

http://www.choikwangdo.com has no sparring and no contact for that matter? is that what your looking for?

its kinda a mcdojo, but without sparring unless its a REALLY soft style its useless IMHO

18. etaku

etaku New Member

most point fighters can beat a wtf fighter, at least the ones in the schools i been too.

19. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Funny...every point fighter vs. Olympic TKD fighter I've seen ends up with the point fighter getting schooled. It usually involves the TKD fighter knocking the point fighter out with a full contact kick to the head, something you're not allowed to do in point fighting.

20. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

yes and no, it depends on the rules.

WTF fighters don't stop after one blow, and a lot of point sparring moves that i've seen score wouldn't hurt anyways.

but if you take a WTF guy and have him do point sparring i think i'd expect him to not do so well because of his training.