Snowmaggedon has begun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Well it started snowing and is supposed to continue for the next 24 hours with snow totals between 1 to 2 feet. The temperature is currently 1o degrees Fahrenheit and that is the high for the next few days. It is going to the single digits and below zero for the next few days.

Should be fun cleaning the driveway tomorrow morning (Round 1) It will still be snowing, it will be windy and it will be around 0......

axelb and Mitch like this.
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

In London we will be utterly crippled by about 3mm of snow over the next week. Solidarity!

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It got a bit chilly today.

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I had a winter service this week, so ready for the white outs!

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Men in Newcastle considering rolling down one t shirt sleeve.

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Suh-weet! I would love to trade with you for a few days. The weather today was like low 46, high 73 F, and sunny, and that's pretty much how it's been all month save 2 days of rain.

7. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Now THAT's my kind of winter weather! :)

8. Xue Sheng

Well we ended up with 15 inches of snow and temperature yesterday...well the high was 5 Fahrenheit.....the low was -8F with a windchill of -20.

Today was down right balmy....it started at 0F and got all the way to 22F

9. Xue Sheng

Beijing is pretty much the same by the way....but I'm not in Beijing so I had to go out in it and clear the driveway :D

10. Xue Sheng

NO WAY!!!!! I'm keeping my -5F with a -20F Windchill :D

aikiMac likes this.
  11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It took me 1 hour to drive just over 1 mile this morning because we had hail stones yesterday evening that froze solid overnight and I don't think anywhere near me had been gritted! GRRRR!

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yesterday afternoon, today, and tomorrow, my daughter's college is shut down because it's too cold.
    ... But the high temperature at "home" (where I live) yesterday was 74F. (LOL!)

But seriously, when there's a weather split that dramatic, something feels broken to me. :eek::eek::eek:

13. Xue Sheng

Polar vortex to the west of me..... snow storm to the right......I'm doomed.....its the "Day after Tomorrow" in my neck of the woods.....:D
    [​IMG]

Actually a mini-snowmageddon is hitting right now, 4 to 8 inches expected and the polar vortex stuff hits here tomorrow
    Just started snowing at my office....was snowing at my house when I left for work this morning...should be fun when I get home.....and it is suppose to snow until mid-night. So I get to get up tomorrow morning at 5:00am and face the polar vortex and the aftermath of the mini-frosted-snowmageddon to clear the driveway because Mrs Xue will never stay home from her office and she will need to get out to go to work.

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I think the UK is going to have to accept that it might be time to bring in laws enforcing snow tyres over the winter...you know, like civilised countries have. ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  15. Xue Sheng

Well........ time to panic..... the "Polar Vortex" is now in my area..... -25 Fahrenheit tomorrow...just a bit north...-35

16. Xue Sheng

Eskimos have 50 words for ‘snow’...luckily there are no Eskimos in the UK :D

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

LOL, same here.
    Last week we had roughly 2mm of snow and people went nuts.
    Salt on the walkway for days to come, my dog having trouble with one paw particular right away (luckily nothing bad, but he was bothered by a little cut).

Yesterday more snow, so that it was actually fun.
    But not getting anywhere by bus; at least with no certainty. And I certainly don't want to be stuck anywhere in the bigger city.
    Today similar, busses still don't drive regularly.

Not sure, if I'm missing the sarcasm here :oops: - are you really not legally bound to have winter tyres this season?
    Could you really be driving with summer tyres? :eek:

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No requirement to have winter tyres in the UK. Realistically there'll only be 2-3 days a year that would really warrant them anyway.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Bozza Bostik

True! But sticking them on for a month would save a hell of a lot of aggro and money.

Or at least stick them on public transport for three months.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  20. Bozza Bostik

Yeah, it can be bad for their paws. Clean 'em up when you've walked them. Just in case you don't know....Sudocrem is good, not sure if you can get that (You're in Germany right), that's what we use. Zinc paste or creams, winterpad is good too.

You could try boots in the really harsh weather, but our dogs won't wear them and you always come back from a walk with one missing. :)