Snapping Hip Syndrome

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Coges, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Does anyone else suffer from this? I've had it for years although it never causes me any pain during the popping/snapping. I have had injuries which I thought to be to the hip flexor and and always thought I've had tight hip flexors (sitting at desk all day). The injuries have ranged from a minor strain in the hip area and general soreness to a strain so bad I couldn't lift my leg for a week. Any physical therapists I've seen have always prescribed the usual rest with some stretching and strengthening. Recently saw this article from Tony Gentilcore

http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/adapt-darwin-i-ching-whatever-man-we-gotta-roll-with-it/

in which he calls it Anterior Hip Instability and warns from stretching the hip flexor. I've recently injured this area again (see Osteo tomorrow - different guy from those mentioned above) but wanted to know if anyone else has come across this knowledge and what they do to combat this anterior hip instability.

Hope that makes sense. Cheers.

*edit - oh and I should mention that the actual strains sometimes extend to the top of the quad and lower abdomen too*

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. Coges

Coges Valued Member

In case anyone's interested. I've no more information on anterior hip instability apart from the fact that I may or may not have it. What I do know is that I have a slight tear in my TFL and have to take it easy for a few weeks.

I've been advised to avoid static stretching the area for a while and use specific warm up drills for any activity I do and to strengthen the hams and glutes. With any warm up he said to do things like leg raises but start with a bent leg to make the movement less intense and to then increase to straight leg and increase height with comfort levels.

3. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

That's strange because I've seen therapists for my snapping hip syndrome(more like a clunk or grinding sensation) and I've been told to stretch my hip flexors intensely(at least 3 times a day more) because of how tight they are(from a sedentary lifestyle up until I was 21). Here's an article I'm using currently:

http://anthonymychal.com/2011/11/how-to-cure-snapping-hip-syndrome-2/

4. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Thanks. That's a great article. I haven't seen his website before but have read a couple of his articles on T-Nation. I already do my hip flexor stretches that way but might have to incorporate the "sucking hip" part into it.

Yeah I've been told the same thing over a long period of time regarding the stretching of the hip flexors. The crunch came for me when I saw a therapist who actually tested my hip flexor's flexibility. He said that there was no problem there. He didn't however test it's strength and this is a conclusion I've come to myself. I've been experimenting recently and for me it seems to respond best to some stretching, strengthening and hamstring and glute exercises. Before I kick or stretch I will do some single leg RDL's and hold the warrior 3 position (from a Paul Zaichek newsletter) for time and my legs feel immensly better.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012