Smoking ban in enclosed public areas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by johndoch, Nov 10, 2004.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I can't understand how parents can personally subject their own children to passive smoking in such places as a resturant or even the car.

You've all seen the situation. Mum and Dad in the front, both smoking, kids in the back unable to do anything about it.

Shocking!. :woo:

2. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Yeah. I have no patience for smokers. I have a right to breathe clean air, and I feel that right is violated when I'm near a smoker. Smoking in enclosed public places is already against the law here, but I've heard talk of a ban on ALL public smoking, meaning that pretty much the only place you'll be allowed to smoke is in your own house. I think that's a GREAT idea. Nothing ruins my day more than having to wait at the bus stop next to someone smoking, or to be stuck walking down the street behind someone puffing away.

3. eckythump

eckythump Valued Member

I think it should definately be banned in restaurants but in pubs I do believe there should be allowance for areas set aside for smokers (with effective ventilation and a clear seperation of smoking area from the actual bar area)if the owner wishes to provide this.
    There are many pubs where the majority of people there are smokers (infamous harbour runs :D ) and really a lot of these will go under given the age of their customers.I think a lot will ignore the ban It is a "cultural" thing almost a throw back to a previous era and whilst I accept non smokers have the right to non polluted air I'm from a city where their are hundreds of pubs and clubs and I really dont think it affects them not to be able to go into a few of them because smoking is still allowed.
    I can remember a few pubs went the way of designated Non smoking lounges a few years back and they were great on a Saturday because they were almost always empty , with the smoking areas crowded we could get a seat and be served in the nonsmoking lounge whilst everyone else was packed in like sardines. :)
    This "nanny" state mentality can go too far although I do take the Health and safety issues for Staff onboard .I think a lot of the Character of British life is being kicked into touch and this plastic sterile enviroment is a sad replacement personally I'd ban the profusion of Coffee houses that are everywhere you turn in the centre of Glasgow and a good few other cities
    Oh and I would also ban these boutiques with about five sweaters on sale and who dont actually like to sell anything as it ruins the visual aesthetics of the place

4. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

I have never understood what is the problem with stating clearly at the entrance to any resteraunt, bar, or pub that it is a smoking establishment. If you do not wish to be bothered with any possible second hand smoke then do not enter. Also state it clearly in any employee application.

Let the market decide at that point which one wins out... I personally like having non-smoking areas and tend to get upset when I am placed right next to a smoking table without any sort of barrier, but I keep those places in mind the next time I am going out...

5. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

I really don't like smoke or get why anyone would ever smoke. Yet, it's still legal, just like dancing, so there is nothing by law we can do about it. But if enough people complain, boom it's banned in "public places." To say that Bob here can't smoke in his favorite bar should be illegal. The bar owners have the choice and so do the smokers. Recently here in Colorado, "we" passed a tobacco tax, increasing tobacco product prices like none other. I'm sorry people, if you don't think someone should do something i.e. kill others, get a petition to make it illegal, don't push it into a corner. Second hand smoke has come nowhere near being proved harmful (and might i add harmless) but still, both my parents smoked, I don't have any problems. Don't run to the govt to solve your problems.
    Yes restaurant staff included, you knew when you signed up it'd be smokey.

6. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

When im in the Pub or eating out somwhere, and someone lights up near me, the smoke always comes over to where im sitting. i feel like walking up to them, sticking my butt in there face and letting out a big wet smelly fart. to me its just the same thing, only less harmfull to your health.

7. wolfen

wolfen Valued Member

i
    Good application of common sense here. The easiest solution is usually used by this government. i.e.: BAN IT! BAN IT! BAN IT!
    The introduction of "no smoking" areas in pubs and restaurants and "no smoking" at bars seem to work well and there's an abundance of seats in the "no smoking" sections

Tell that to the person who has just been glassed by an aggresive drunk in a nightclub or the parents of the child killed by a drink driver. If that's not a problem of "passive drinking" I don't know what is.

8. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

that is exactly my point as well. to deny the choice is liberal fascism. hitler made exercise compulsory in Nazi Germany "to benifit the health of the nation" - wonder how long it will be before a similar proposal is suggested here.

just picking up on YODA's point on the staff as well; they also have a choice on where to work. if mine and spacepimps proposals to make it optional were enforced instead of an outright ban then this would definately be so.

9. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

also the same government that wants to ban smoking (alongside the lib-dems) wants to create places where drug users can do illegal drugs together in the safety of a government provided room (aswell as being provided with clean needles). why is this encouraged and yet soon smokers cannot smoke together.

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I think it's a great idea, although pity the bouncers who will have to enforce it.

Personally, I think the government should bite the bullet, kiss goodbye to the taxes they earn and just ban tobacco!

Think of the strain that will be removed from the NHS!

Awaits somebody to argue that the tax revenue earned from tobacco is given to the NHS, whilst compiling a bit list of stats to say that is a crock of crap!

11. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

To quote Lee Evans (a comedian):
    To me, it sums it up brilliantly :D

12. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

When you smoke in a pub/restaurant you automatically impose that smoke on others...there is no way to avoid it. Whereas with drinking, the poor guy standing next to you doesn't get affected by you drinking in any way.

13. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Well your giving him the waste products of your drug use without his permission, the beer equivalent would be to drink alot and then urinate on the guy beside you without his permission :D .

14. Timmy!

Timmy! A Hypno-Toad In Disguise

I couldn't agree more. Why should I be subjected to smokers' toxic fumes just because I like going to a pub, club or restaurant? I suppose they would say that they didn't force non-smokers to be in the pub/restaurant with them, but as non-smokers are the majority, they really should shout louder :D

I would love to see smoking in public banned in the UK and I am glad that Scotland has taken the first step towards banning it there. It seems rather a cop out that in England, the government is planning to exempt pubs from the legislation, whilst these are probably the most smoke-filled environment you would find day-to-day. If that is going to be the case, it's hardly worth banning smoking anywhere.

15. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Because there'll still be smoking rooms I'd imagine. Not heard anything about the drug users in government provided rooms though, other than in my own rants at people.

16. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

The problem with the government not sticking its nose in, is that we all make such bad decisions and are all so easily corrupted. Look at the stuff people do and look at online once they think societies constraints no longer apply. We need people to unpopularily tell us what to do sometimes because without rules we destroy ourselves.

The fact is, I don't want to pay taxes to finance your hospital stay when you are dying painfully of angina because you wanted to indulge yourself all your life. I certaintly don't want to be having breathing problems because you want to indulge yourself. This isn't about your personal freedom it's about mine. The expression 'your right to wail your fist around ends at my nose' comes to mind.

Speaking of indulgence, does anyone even enjoy smoking - or are they just addicted? All the smokers I know would like to give up. No-one I know smokes 10 cigarettes directly one after the other 'just because they love them sooo much'. They smoke and don't smoke again until their body runs low on nicotene, i.e. they don't like them they're addicted to them.

We need to show younger smokers that this is a dying tradition that's not worth getting into. We also need to help those giving up smoking by banning it outright. Think about it - you can't leave people that one last strand, that if they survive the whole day without one they can have a smoke at home (thereby perpetuating their habit and making their life one miserable withdrawal after another), the gov. needs to bite the bullet as was said and ban outright. I've heard people say, then you'll get blackmarket cigarettes taking over.... rubbish. How is anyone going to smuggle in enough tobacco to supply the needs of all the U.K.s smokers? - it would be impossible.

While I'm here, I don't think drinking should be banned - it's not usually addictive and it doesn't affect those around you (unless you get drunk, noisy and violent). However there definitely needs to be some kind of system put into place (a punch card system maybe?) to stop people drinking so much. When I worked as a doorman I was amazed at what people were drinking (and the prices they would pay for it). I'm not out to ruin everyone's fun but people go out and spend £100 in one night on alcahol! They rush up to get four pints in when last orders is called....... why? Your just gonna go home to bed in a minute! What's the point of getting drunk now? People are stupid, and are turning there livers to mush, and I for one don't think I should have to pay for there hospital treatment in 10 yrs.

One last point, someone brought up the clean needles scheme thing for heroine users. I think this is a positive step to fight a real and serious problem that destroys lives. Such positive steps should always be encouraged.

End of Rant.

17. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

there wont be. it is a blanket ban on smoking in aLL public places. this is what i object too. if pubs and restaurants want to ban it then fine - i know i only ever go to non smoking restuarants. however i cant see why an all out ban is necessary. what on earth is wrong in having a pub that allows smoking. everyone in their knows the risks, all they are harming is each other, and it would have been the managements choice to allow it to stay that way so the staff would also be there by choice. everyone in that pub is happy.

for a start i dont smoke so im not a member of the pro-smoking lobby, i just dont see the needs to stop people doing it. its a choice, a liberty, and if its not doing anyone else harm against there will then what is wrong with it?

legally you can consent to actual bodily harm in britain (R v Brown and others) so why can you not consent to be in a pub with other smokers. the world seems to have gone mad! darn liberal fascists.

18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Find me a pub which doesn't allow smoking. Its not a choice, you either accept smoke or don't go to the pub.

And I do actually agree with you, yes, all places should offer a choice to non-smokers who do mind cigarette smoke. I don't smoke, but I was forced to get used to it while working at a pub and no longer mind it. But there should always be a sealed off, clean area for non-smokers. Smokers get their smoking areas filled with smoke, why shouldn't non-smokers get their areas clean?

19. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

im not arguing against a ban per se, just a complete ban. i think pubs should be able to choose whether or not to adopt a complete ban or not, and the the consumer can shoose which pub they wish to visit. so you can have both smoking, and non smoking pubs- however this is not what is being proposed which i s why im against it. that way everyone is happy.just for the record there are non- smoking pubs currently in the UK.

20. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

The Laurel Pub Company has started opening a chain of no-smoking pubs across the UK under the "Phoenix" banner, after striking success with four trial no-smoking pubs. The group has ten no-smoking pubs so far and plans 60 by the end of the year.

thats just from mr google search in a minute :D anyway i tihnk there should be non smoking pubs, i just dont tihnk ALL pubs should be forced to ban smoking.