Smoking ban in enclosed public areas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by johndoch, Nov 10, 2004.

1. johndoch

johndoch upurs

The Scottish Parliament plans to introduce a total ban on smoking in enclosed public places.

As an x smoker I have mixed feelings about this :confused: I think that its good that it will encourage smokers to reduce their habit but at the same time it goes against something people have done for years. I can imagine an old guy in govan whos smoke at the same bar day in day out for forty years being told to butt out.

Its been done in Ireland and New York so how has it worked there?

What do you think about this; is it good, bad or just ugly? :)

2. budogirl

budogirl Armed and fabulous!

I am slightly torn by conflicting opinions like you. People will find it hard at first but like other things, such as wearing seatbelts, people will get used to it and benefit from it. I too am an ex smoker but hate stinking of smoke and breathing it in whilst trying to enjoy a night in the pub. Ban it in England too!!
    :D

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I think it's great.

The sooner it's made law in England, the better.

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I've experienced it in New York State (USA) and in Ottawa, Canada (who adopted it before NYS). I also have mixed feelings on it.

On the purely selfish side, (and as an ex-smoker), I really and truly enjoy going out to bars and restaurants and not having to come home smelling like smoke. Granted, I dislike having to walk through crowds of smokers at the front doors (and they aren't supposed to be there even), but I can deal with that. So, from a selfish sense, I like it and wouldn't even mind a total ban of tobacco products.

However, on the other hand, I really hate the state sticking its nose into my business. Tobacco is a legal (but restricted) drug, just like alcohol. The argument of the health hazards should be personal choice unless they actually ban it. The state wants to keep its tax revenue on tobacco but wants to "discourage" its use... to me, that's conflict of interest. Ban it or leave it alone. For the argument that it is banned in bars because of hazards to the workers, I have to say that they know the risks when they choose to work there.

The biggest problem I have is when the state regulates private business. To ban tobacco in bars without giving the owner any options is wrong. Drinking alcohol is just as dangerous as cigarettes. As long as tobacco is legal, users should be able to use it private establishments. A better solution would have been to institute "tobacco licenses" in the same format as "liquor licenses" so that private owners could decide to have it there or not... and so that people who don't want to be there can be warned.

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I agree. Smoke hurts my eyes, so I cant stay near somebody having a cigarette for more than around 30 seconds.

And my lungs are dead as it is

6. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I agree with it, only if alcohol is completely and permanently banned.

7. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

Florida passed that law last year. All that's changed is now the smokers go outside. Many places have ashtrays set up for them. I have yet to see any business go under because of it.

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

New York has been pretty strict (in some locales). There is no smoking allowed within a certain distance of entryways and the smoking area may not be encolsed against the weather (NYS gets cold). NY has also tried to enforce no smoking in cars (enclosed area) on public parking lots.

In my area several of the bars have gone out of business citing the loss of revenue from smokers. Places like the American Legion have lost lots of business and have cut back on their opening hours and layed off workers.

9. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I'm very glad they banned smoking in office buildings and on public transportation. When I lived in New York (long time ago), I remember practically choking to death from the blue haze of smoke in the office, and then, going home on the train.

As far as places like restaurants and bars, I don't mind if there's a smoking area set up, as long as I can sit in an area where I'm not exposed to it. If the whole place is smoky, I don't go there, because I won't be able to breathe without hacking my lungs out.

I was in a restaurant once, and realized that I couldn't even smell the cigarette of the guy sitting next to me. I looked at the tip of it, and saw that the smoke was being sucked straight up by the ventilation system. It seems if more places had really good ventilation systems, this wouldn't be such a problem.

10. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

i think its gr8 news! for prople who smoke under the age of 30 i have no sympathy for them. cant understand why any one would wanna do it now! stinks like death, gives you and everyone around cancer, gives you yellow fingers, rotten teeth and any gals i see smoking look like pure tarts to me.

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I couldn't have said it better Thomas. I'm not an ex-smoker, but it truly is annoying to walk out of a restaurant smelling like smoke. I just choose to not go to restaurants that have a lot of smoke. If someone else wants to, what business is it of mine? I agree about laws on no smoking on buses, buildings, even stadiums, but not private bars/restaurants.

12. seikido

seikido New Member

I think it's great--smoking was banned here ages ago, and it's not been a problem or affected businesses in a negative way.

The point is not so much about patrons/customers of these places, but the fact that there are people who WORK in restaurants and bars who would otherwise be exposed on a daily basis to secondhand smoke that may lead to negative health effects--they have a right to a safe, healthy workplace. People can go outside if they want to smoke.

13. renshinkai

renshinkai New Member

I love the smell of smoke, no idea why. Probably it reminds me of being a kid, both my parents smoke. Despite this, I am determined that I won't smoke myself. I feel that if people want to smoke and go into bars, then let them. They enjoy the smoking, why stop them? If you don't like the smoke, I say either put up with it or go somewhere else. Perhaps places should have no-smoking sections?

14. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i tihnk it should be left up to the choice of the pub or restaurant owner. places in britain can enforce their own no-smoking rules already. why should a group of consenting adults not be able to get together in a pub and smoke? i dont smoke and never have, but i LOVE going in to 'old man pubs' and smelling pipe smoke. it is also something i consider taking up when i am abit older (and wouldnt look pretentious :) ). this government is too keen to ban things. choice is the way forward. i really dont see any reason why it shouldnt be left up to the publicans to decide, and then the consumers can decide on what pubs they go to!

15. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

^^^^ What he said!

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Errrrm! Where would that be then? :confused:

17. YODA

The law is being changed for the benefit of the staff of these places not the customers. The poor bloke behind the bar or waiting on tables cannot simply "go somewhere else"

18. Hiroji

all this if smoking is bad for you, but so is alcohol is too is rubbish. at least if someone is having a drink or two they are damaging there own bodies and not my own. unlike the blue poison smoke that spreads into everyones lungs in the room. if you think about it, all smokers could be done for manslaughter.

19. Hiroji

the weapons of mass-destruction the govenment are looking for are sold in little packets for alot of money

20. YODA

Exactly - as far as I know, there isn't a problem with "passive drinking" :D