Smitty gets fitty

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Smitfire, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I might pace it out so see what I'm doing. I also think I'm not allowing enough rest in between sprints (which would explain the fatigue). Just reading some guides and some say resting for 4-5 minutes in some cases.

It's amazing how what used to be so natural as a kid feels like a long lost skill.
    Just running fast. Seems easy enough. Used to run up to the shop in my action man slippers like lightning. Now it feels like I'm using someone else's body to try and run. :)

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I wouldn't worry about exactly how long each bit is. The main thing (in my opinion) is that you are doing predetermined distances, so that you have consistency and can measure your progress.

But if you think that longer 'rest' intervals would be beneficial, then you could try sprinting a width then walking a length then a width then a length, and then sprinting again on the same width as before, or something like that.

Simple solution: buy yourself another pair!

That's Plan B. :D

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Use times too to stop you getting bored e.g. 30 secs sprints, 2 minute walks.

Yeah, log everything. It can be fiddley if you are on your own, but it helped me a lot. It's really motivating to see even half seconds being constistently trimmed off.

But I guess it all depends how serious you want to get.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not very. :)

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thursday 25/07/13

Second weights session. 5x5 on Squats and OH press. 5x deadlift. Again warmed up with Kbell swings, grip swaps (around and between the legs) and body weight stuff. Can't be arsed with changing weights about and warm up sets so do what I can with body weight, elastic bands etc.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Saturday 27/07/13

A timed run. Picked a start and finish point to test myself over a set distance. It's not 5k (about 4.5 I think) but it's enough for me. Did it in 29:15. But I felt awful. I think the sprints on wednesday blitzed my legs more than I realised because my shins and feet were really uncomfortable. Not a pleasant run at all.

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That's a respectable time if you haven't run that distance before.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah don't quote me on the distance. It's somewhere further than 4k but not 5.
    Shins are sore today. Damn them. I thought I'd really ramped the running up gently enough to let them adapt. I guess they are just the weak link in the chain.

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Keep focussing on relaxing as you run. That's what made a huge differnce for me. My shins still get a bit sore sometimes, but not to the extent of stopping me from running like they used to.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Monday 29/07/13

Dropped the running again. I really will take a week off from it now and start back gently next week.
    Did a weights session though. Squats, bench and rows. I think my squat and bench form is pretty good but rows feel really weird. Will watch some more tutorials just to make sure I'm doing it about right. Again finished with some ab-wheel rollouts and the ball exercise from this vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mru33xLcDE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mru33xLcDE[/ame]

It is surprisingly difficult and Rener Gracie makes it look a lot easier than it is.

Music = Hadouken! - For the masses. Good training music. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wj8lSt4H40"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wj8lSt4H40[/ame]

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Wednesday 31/07/13

Tonight would have been a sprint session but I'm resting from running at the moment. So I walked my usual running route instead. Took about 45 minutes. Nice to be out in the country. Loads of tiny frogs about because of the rain.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thursday 01/08/13

Weights session. Squat, OH press, deadlifts and ab wheel roll outs. One benefit of training alone in a garage is that I can run through some TKD patterns and kata between sets. :)

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Monday 05/06/13

Training like a pro today...2 sessions in one day!
    AM was running the route I timed a week or so back. The rest from running really helped as my legs felt much better. Still a little ache mid-left shin but other than that felt pretty good. Managed to shave 45 seconds off what I ran last time.
    Awful weather. Persisting it down it was. Measured it as accurately as I could and it's around 4.35km. Not sure if I should stick with that or measure an out and back route that's nearer to 5k.
    PM was a weights session. Squats, Bench and Rows. TKD patterns between sets. Ab wheel at the end and some foam roller on the back.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thursday 08/08/13

Went out for dinner (hunters chicken!) but managed a quick weights session before bed. Session 2 of the week so it was squats, oh press and deadlifts. Weights all feel a little light but this is a marathon rather than a sprint so I'll keep adding gradually.

Saturday 10/08/13

Timed run. Decided to extend my route to be nearer the 5k mark. It's not exact but I've picked a tree about 2.5k round and turn back at that point. Did it in 31.55. Terrain is horrible in places and 2 kissing gates to negotiate so I've a feeling my true 5k time will be a tad less than that. Inspired by Johnno I'm going to sign up for my local park run to get a better idea of what I can do over a proper 5k. My local airfield had a model airshow and a massive Vulcan bomber did several fly pasts as I ran which pepped me up. :)

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Monday 12/08/13

Morning was a slow and steady run. Felt crappy. Realistically I think I only really have one good run a week in me. After that my lower legs tend to get too uncomfortable. This was not that run.
    In the evening I did a weights session. Squats, bench and rows. Really working on technique after watching various tutorials. Rows are not my favourite thing to do. Just don't seem to sit right. TKD patterns between sets, ab wheel and foam roller to finish.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thursday 15/08/13

Weights session. Squat, OH press, dealifts. Really liking deadlifts. It's just a satisfying whole body movement to do. Warmed up with some of defrancos agile 8 under advice from icefield. Usual ab wheel roll outs to finish. Used my homemade wheels as outlined in this here article wot I wrote. Whole different ball game to using the solo wheel.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77902

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Latest update after coming back from holiday...

Before holiday I did my usual weight sessions. Same old mix of squats, bench, deads etc. Very gradually adding weight.
    Also did a couple of runs too.

On holiday I replicated my weights sessions with body weight exercises. Hindu squats, press ups, etc. Keeping the 5 set structure but upping the reps. I even managed to replicate bent rows by hanging under a table on the outside decking. Surprisingly effective.
    I did one 45 minute interval session working my posterior chain using dual handed hydro-resistance equipment.*

*I rowed my family around lake Windermere in a boat! :)

Back to normal this morning with a steady 4k run (approx) round the woods before work. Shins felt good but my feet cramped and felt awful.

18. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Was the bodyweight routine the same as the weights' - 3 exercises per workout? Did you find it effective?
    I was thinking of something like that as I'm going to be very busy these next months and it would be good to listen to others' experiences... :)

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah...I just wanted to make sure my muscles did the same sort of motions as "Stronglifts". Just to keep in the grove while I was away from home.
    So one session I did 5 sets of hindu squats, 5 sets of press-ups and 5 sets of inverted horizontal table rows. Nothing crazy mind. Something like 20 reps each time. Did much the same next session and added in some handstands (like an upside down OH press) and some yoga/stretching.

20. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Thanks man. ;)