Smitty gets fitty

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Smitfire, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thursday 11/07/13

Week 8/run 2 of C25K. 28 minute run. What it says really. Getting very annoyed with brambles. A week of nice weather and my running route now resembles hurdles made of spikes. Good for the agility but it's tiresome.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Saturday 13/07/13

Week 8/run 3 of C25K. 28 minute run. Just one more week to go of 30 minute runs and I've graduated the C25K. Think I'll have a week off running at that point. My feet are really feeling it.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Are you ready for a 5k yet Paul?

I might have to come over to York and drag you to the ParkRun. You'll thank me for it (one day.)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Heh...steady now 'Mr 10k'. See below for update...

Monday 15/07/13

Week 9/Run 1 C25k. First 30 minute run. My feet really felt this one. Shin splints also started to flair up a little. Think I might need to drop back to 28 minutes. Completed the run but it was by no means pleasant. Will try again on Thursday and see how we go.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Paul,

I'm not an expert by any means, so I can only speak from my own personal experience.

What I have found is that I identified that I was far too tense when I ran. Since I've learned to relax, the shin splints have become almost non-existant. (Whereas they used to limit me severely.)

It might be worth trying that approach. Focus on each part of you in turn: hands, arms, shoulders, waist, legs and ankles. Try to keep each part as relaxed and floppy as you can. It's a damn sight easier when you're running on the flat than on hills, by the way.) As you loosen up, try to lengthen your stride slightly without putting in any extra effort, so that you sort of 'flow' along more.

You've seen me: I'm not exactly the lightest of chaps. If I can feel like I'm 'flowing along' then I'm sure that you can!

Hope that helps.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You see I think I've almost got the opposite problem.
    I've always had fairly weedy joints, prone to injuries but flexible. I could head kick from day one of training with no stretching at all but I have no resilience or stability to back it up (one reason I'm starting with the weights I got off you is to try and remedy that).
    As such I think my lower legs and feet are bearing the brunt of the increased loading during a run and are finding it hard to adapt.
    It's whyI made sure to stretch a 9 week plan into something that's now taken me more like 15 weeks. Just so my joints had time to get stronger.
    But it's a fine line and I think the 28 minute runs last week and the 30 on Monday was just a little bit too much at this stage.

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Chill Winston! Actually, can I sig this?

Oh, that kind of 'weedy' ;)

I struggle to balance poor stability in my shoulders (band pull aparts are helping) with tightness in my hips (stretching/yoga are helping), so I feel your pain.

I think you are right to take things steadily to give your ankles/knees/hips a bit of time to adjust to the new stresses induced by all the running.

Good effort, keep it up

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Of course! :)

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thursday 18/07/13

Week 9/run 2 of C25K. 30 minute run. I'm such a plodder. Did the full 30 mins but again...it's not what I'd call pleasant. Finished up with some Yoga in the conservatory to stretch out. Had a little Yoga clone next to me. Although she calls it "Ogre". :)

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Forgot to mention I vaulted some hay bales part way through the run for a bit of variety.
    Rural parkour stylee!

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You is an aflete innit*? :D

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Saturday 20/07/13

Week 9/run 3 of C25K. 30 minute run. C25K completed!! Go me. Last run in the progression. Felt pretty good. Shins a little sore at points and very hot and sweaty but plodded through it all the same. Got whipped across the shins by some nettles and also bashed my elbow jumping down from climbing a kissing gate.
    Think I'll have a rest week and then work in some weights sessions and a sprint session to round out the fitness improvements. Maybe even join the local park run and log some 5k times.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Well done you! :)

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Well done!

Now to start training for a 100k. ;)

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Please tell me you misstyped and put one too many noughts in there?

16. Bozza Bostik

Oh ok...do the 10 first! :)

There is actually a C210k "add on" if that's any interest to you. I might do a few months of 3 and 5ks, HIIT etc when i'm done with C25k, then look at that.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Monday 22/07/13

Dropped my morning run today (having a rest week from running) and instead did my first official session on the weights! Go me again. I've dabbled with various routines over the years but never stuck with anything or properly planned what I was doing (those two things are probably related).

So this time I want to keep it going for at least a year, be realistic about what I can do in that time and actually achieve something.
    I'm doing a nice and simple variation on the strong lifts 5x5. I can't manage 3 sessions a week so it'll just be two sessions for me. Progress will be slower I'm sure but slow and steady is how I like it.
    I even hubristically measured my already Adonis-like physique in an attempt to track my progress over the coming months. Heh.

Tonight was squats, bench and rows. I won't bore you with the colossal weights I was shifting, but safe to say they were hefty. Oh yes.
    Warmed up with some KBell swings and body weight exercises. Then finished up with some ab-wheel rollouts on the knees, foam rolling my back and thoracic bridges (thanks for those Frodo..my new favourite exercise).

And then to cap it all off I was mixing a quick protein shake in the kitchen and caught the glass with my spoon and spraffed the best part of a pint of milk and half mixed powder all over the kitchen top and floor. Herp and indeed derp.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Wednesday 24/07/13

Now I've completed the C25K I'm varying things a little. So tonight I did a sprint session instead of a slow run. Walked over to the local playing fields. Little jog round to warm up, some joint mobility and then 8 sprints. Was trying for 10 but didn't have the energy. It's two football pitches side by side (although it's set up for cricket at the mo'). I sprint (of sorts) across both widths and then walk along the length and then repeat down the other side. No idea on real distance or even if they are any sort of regulation size. Quickly lost energy after 3-4 and number 8 was pitiful. How do you hurt your elbow doing sprints!?! Well I have. Sore left elbow. :(

19. Bozza Bostik

Good job!! 8 sprints is a lot when you start out (imo).

A mate of mine went for his first run in many years a few weeks back...and hurt his bicep :dunno:

20. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Regulation sizes are maximum and minimum, so without actually measuring the piches you can't do more than estimate the size.

Sounds like a good system you've got there. When I tried doing interval sprints I didn't think of doing anything nearly as clever as that - I just sort of guessed when to start and stop, which was completely unsatisfactory. Which is probably one of the main reasons why I didn't persist with them.