Small circle founder Wally Jay dies

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by kuntaoer, May 29, 2011.

1. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A sad loss to martial arts.

RIP Wally Jay.

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

A great loss - RIP.

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I attended a seminar with him around 1980 and found him to be a friendly, entertaining and informative instructor. All the old guard seem to be slowly leaving this place.

Professor Jay R.I.P.

powchoy

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

He was an interesting guy who made a great contribution to the art.

Hats off & glasses up....

6. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Wally Jay

Just heard he was ill yesterday. A loss to the m.a. world.

Bill

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Very sad news - my condolences to his friends and family

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

May he rest in peace - another legend passess

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

RIP Master Wally Jay.

10. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

He was one of the truly great pioneers of the martial arts in America. And more than that, he was a very special human being and a great teacher with a lot of love of his art and those who practiced it.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

12. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

So sad when inspiring figures from the martial arts world pass away.

14. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

RIP....a big loss for the world of martial arts.

15. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

years ago I trained with his son a few times but very unfortunatly never trained under Wally.
    I understand a great guy, unassuming,talented and no ego.I understand he was on the mat until the last.
    A very positive role model and excellent example to us all. Who he rubbed off on both physicaily and by example will always cherish those golden moments.

16. Batmanb

Batmanb Valued Member

17. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

In the early eighties Prof. Jay came to our dojo several times. On a few occasions I had the unique opportunity to be Uki. I have experienced his "Dance of pain" that he so nonchalantly used to demonstrate. I never forgot those lessons. I have used his techniques of finger manipulation many times in real situations and have never forgotten his "small circle lessons" .

I still apply that theory to things like a throw.. If I'm being thrown, I grab on and create a smaller circle.. works every time.

I remember him being an extremly friendly and down to earth man... always willing to chat about ideas and always willing to experiment.

I have told my students about him many times and teach the theory of small circle to this day. I am not a jujitsu practioner but the theory still holds. Small circle applys to all styles, you just have to think about it.

I really consider him a major influence in my martial arts, though I did not practice with him extensively and only trained with him less than 20 times... his ideas influenced me greatly.

Kampai sir... RIP.

Mike O'Leary

18. ladywarrior

ladywarrior Valued Member

Yeah, it's so sad to hear. RIP Grand Master Wally Jay. His funeral is next week.

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

When and where is it being held?