Slow vs someone manic?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by JamesR, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

It is also applied in the vernacular to a section of the population who has been identified to have an overactive nervous system resulting in excessive reflexes which seem twitchy.

Considering that the terms stupid, idiot, moron, fool, slow, and have been used to denote people with mental disabilities but are now perfectly acceptable in common use. I have never seen anyone scolded for using them here and I feel perfectly justified in using the word fool, which in this case in the vernacular is highly appropriate to describe the behaviour of the individual's and their nervous system functioning.

I know you probably don't mean to Mitch but this would be enforcing a huge double standard so unless you ban using the above words too then I shall not stop.

EDIT: oh and add to that the use of manic in the title. Do you want to enforce a ban against misusing all psych related words or simply allow them?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Sketco, if you have a problem with a moderator decision, please take it to MP and, for the record, we have asked people not to use the term fool (and fool) on a number of occasions in the past.

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

You'll notice fool wasn't on my list of misused psych words which are allowed here. All I'm asking for is a little consistency and I don't think that's too much to ask. Either let them be used in the vernacular or don't allow any of them.

4. Frodocious

There is perfect consistency - we don't allow the variations of the word fool and we never have. This is the final word on the matter. Please don't use those terms and, as I have already requested, if you have a problem with this issue take it to PM. No more derailment of this thread will be allowed.

5. Frodocious

Thread locked whilst it's cleaned up.

When a mod tells you to drop the issue, please do so.

Edit: reopened. Please keep this on topic, thank you.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

sounds like you might do well training in bjj or judo for a while to learn better basics and ground control.

are you still training under mr blundell?

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Speed and strength can be used to compensate for flaws in technique. This is one of the reasons that working at slower speeds is emphasized so much in BJJ. If it isn't good technique at slower speeds, how do you expect it to be good technique when going faster and with more intensity?

However, training at slower speeds is not the same as fighting. When in a real fight, often it can come down to superior fighting spirit and the ability to go from zero to 100% in an instant. This means that for self-defense, the ability to explode and overwhelm the enemy in an instant is a very valuable attribute.

In BJJ, I was taught that for fighting (opposed to training technique), if I was on the bottom or any disadvantaged position, I had to speed things up to force the opponent to make mistakes or to take advantage of flaws in their transitions. Conversely, if I'm on top or in an advantageous position, I should slow things down to methodically breakdown the opponent's ability to defend themselves.

So if an opponent that is speeding things up, going "ape" on me, not only do I have to protect myself from their speed and strength, but I also want to gain an advantageous position and try to slow things down. So the first defense/offense against someone going "ape" is to gain a superior position.

And going really fast and using strength will use a lot of energy. If you can keep in an advantageous position, eventually, conditioning will fail and the one going all "ape" will get gassed. Once they are winded, you who have paced yourself and been more relaxed, will have a huge advantage over them. Also, when you are in an advantageous position, in BJJ you are applying constant pressure, often this pressure is on a point that makes it harder for the opponent to breath, adding more to gassing them.

BTW: Sketco and others have mentioned in an earlier posts about tiring out the opponent.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Get some Judo/wrestling/BJJ training in. That should sort you :)

9. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I think theres something to be said to going as fast as you can yet still maintaining some kind of controll over yourself in terms of MMA. I say that as the clip was from MMA.
    For BJJ its differnt as you can afford to go slow at times , its a different game. A grappling chess game.
    MMA is not..you cant stay still to get hit or submitted or get in a position to hit or submitt. The top MMA fighters with like Jose Aldo do not go slow. Thats why they are the top fighters.

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Mind you even with swarmers sometimes you will see them fool themselves when they're looking for a transition or submission because some of them don't have the ability to go from full bore to a different position so fluidly.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

¿ explain lucy¿?

12. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

That sounds like a really cool format. You don't happen to know if the organization that does this holds comps in the US Southeast, do you?

If someone is moving really fast, your choices are to disengage, move faster, or slow them down. On the bottom, getting a good grip on them will help slow them down. On top, going for a pin and just smashing them helps. For this, I tend to use the "triangle theory": that is that the opponent's two shoulders and center of their hips form a triangle, and if you can keep all three of those points on the ground, you can pin them.

13. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Wrestling or Judo, especially, will help deal with the speed issue I think. Because of the ability to win a match by pinning an opponent you're forced to work at a different pace which helps you get used to that pace.

Fighting is ultimately an athletic endevor with attributes like speed, strength and conditioning able to overcome superior technique in the heat of the moment. Not always of course, but they can't be discounted.

14. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Not sure, this is just the way the BJJA run things, probably the same or similar for Europe too.