slow twitch/fast twitch muscles

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by fallout, Dec 23, 2003.

1. fallout

fallout New Member

hey, I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain clearly the differences between fast twitch and slow twitch muscles. I think I have a rough idea, somethin like slow twitch muscles are used in aerobic excersise and fast twitch are used for things like sprinting, but is there more to it than this?

Also, what kind of muscles would you want for martil arts, would it differ depending upon your style? and do the two different types look different?

2. antifuse

antifuse Valued Member

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Think of it like this. Fast-twitch muscle = sprinter. Slow-twitch = marathon runner. That's the type of muscle development you're looking at.
    Slow movements will build bulky, short, slow-twitch muscles rather than the long, supple, fast-twitch muscles required for the martial arts.To kick with speed, power and accuracy, you need to be able to move your body through a full range of motion, this is where you can benefit from some dynamic stretching exercises.

Is it better to perform exercises fast to develop fast twitch muscles or to perform slow... and exactly what type of exercises to do??
    Plyometric exercise and weight training can be combined to maximise the use of fast twitch muscles and to develop more explosive power.

The answer is .... by performing fast movements you increase the percentage of fast twitch fibers and decrease the percentage of slow twitch fibers.

Fast twitch fibers are used when you lift an extremely heavy weight. They also "take over" when slow twitch fibers become fatigued. But, fast twitch fibers are also used during high-speed trained movements that use lighter weights. You can increase in the percent of fast twitch muscle fibers by doing fast eccentric movements (eccentric is the "lowering" part of a weight exercise). Although high-speed eccentric training can stimulate muscle adaptation, there is a high risk of injury.

I would say it is safer to lift fast during the "lifting", rather than the "lowering" part of an exercise.

Fast twitch muscle fibers are those that contract quickly, require anaerobic (with out oxygen) energy metabolism of carbs and are used during speed and power activities. Slow twitch muscle fibers are the opposite. These muscle fibers gets their energy aerobically (with oxygen) , and can use both carbs and fat in steady state endurance. Plyometrics are extremely beneficial for training fast twitch muscles.

Believe it or not there are tests that can be done (muscle biopsy) to determine your ratio of fast & slow twitch muscles but they are expensive and a little painful.
    The percentage of both types of muscle fibers you have is genetic, but the majority of "average"people have about an equal amount

4. fallout

fallout New Member

right cheers for that kickchick. This kind of clarifies the problem that I had thought of, when you do aerobic excersise, I run and swim, you are building up slow twitch muscles, correct? Yet I dont want slow twitch muscles I want fast twitch, although I also want good endurance. Do you think you would be able to cancel out the slow twitch muscles you have built up during your run or swim if at the end of your workout you incorporated some sprints?

5. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Don't think about your training in terms of "fast twitch slow twitch". Rather consider what qualities you are looking for. Examples are strength, speed and endurance. You are going to need both the slow and the fast.

If your endurance training is similar to your martial arts needs, you can get closer to an optimum ratio of slow/fast.

If you swim and run to improve your maartial arts training, you should use similar timeframes with work/rest as you will need. Examples for maybe sparring, 3x3 rounds with 1min of rest in between. Train in bursts of 3x3 with one minute in between and then take a longer rest. If your training for short periods of Action using long periods of swimming or running, its not the best training in the world.

Its better to think in abilities rather then physical attributes, like "tone" and "fast/slow twitch" Train your abilities to the level you want them using specific training.

Your martial arts training will however benefit from doing extended periods of aerobic work. For example increased lung compacity. After you get your long endurance training to the level you want, put that into maintenence, doing it maybe once per week, and concentrate on something else.

Its like building a house, your only gonna use the bedrooms and kitchen, but your gonna regret it if you don't build a foundation under it.

6. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Oh, and I wouldnt do sprints after your aerobic workout. For each individual workout, limit yourself to only one pace, like don't sprint after long distance, dont run after weight training (it can be beneficial in recovery times, too long to go into now) and so on.

7. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

DJHalliB makes a pretty good post there. However, sprints with other aerobic activity can be good. It's less advisable to do any aerobic work after resistance work, but running or swimming or cycling, etc., incorporating sprints can be very good training. Do a search on Fartlek training.

8. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Aerobic work after resistance training (I'm talking about 5min low intensity) can speed up recovery after weightlifting by acceleration the release of chemicals produced by anaerobic training.

Whether sprinting with aerobic work is good/bad of course depends on the duration and intensity og both. Doing one or two short sprints after an aerobic lesson won't however change the fact the aerobic work does promote slow twitch muscle fibers.

I don't really know anything about his workouts, so I just made the generalization that after a full session of aerobics, one would not benefit from sprints.

9. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

OK, sure - that's pretty much a warm down! I was talking about doing a full aerobic session after resistance training.
    Again, that's right - but I was talking about incorporating sprints into the general session. This type of varied aerobic/anaerobic/ATP training is good for the martial artist. After all a fight isn't going to be a long drawn out affair (like a marathon) but more of a series of bursts of activity. Therefore, general aerobic training incorporating sprints is a good option IMO.
    I agree - see above. ;)

10. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Different muscle groups are made up of either slow or fast twitch muscle fibers, or some comination of them. Muscles meant to maintain posture, or to be strained for a continued period of time are predominantly slow twitch. Muscles meant to produce a large amount of force, but not for an extended period of time, are predominantly fast twitch. I say predominantly because each muscle contains at least a small amount of both types of fibres. This explains why the quads can sustain endurance activities while containing explosive power.