Slothosaurus Training Log!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by LemonSloth, Aug 28, 2013.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

16/10/13:

Sadly most of my evening was taken up with paperwork, so I didn't get much done. Did my usual grip strength training with the gripper (1 x 10 on each hand, 1 x 5 holds with 5 seconds rest on each hand, 1 x 10 applying pressure with just the thumb on each hand, 1 x 10 with the finger tips rather than a conventional grip), gentle stretches, spent about half an hour drilling hooks, chudan zuki, mae geri, mawashi geri and a few different uke waza. But that was about it. I was supposed to go to the park to meet up with a couple of guys and do pad work, but I wasn't feeling well enough so I left it out. Since those guys have let me down a lot in the past, I wasn't exactly too sad about it either.

2 mile walk for shopping, pushing both kids again.

===========

17/10/13:

Tai Chi this morning for about an hour. There's a local group led by some really lovely people and I'd been meaning to attend for some time but just hadn't got round to doing it. Rather disappointed in myself for not doing it sooner, I think I'm gonna have to try and go more often. Good for the mobility and balance issues I have with my right leg.

1 1/2 mile walk to go to Tai Chi and back.

Bleep test - made it to level 10.1 before my legs started to cramp up, definitely made some improvement! :D

Grip training as mentioned from yesterday (again, at 40kg).

Gentle stretches, including attempting the splits and lower still.

Will probably do more later, so we'll see how that goes :)

EDIT: Later came round. My calves and my left hip are severely angry at me and I have spasms in the soles of my feet of all places (again!), so it wasn't the most gruelling session. Methinks I shall need the tennis ball and foam roller again :(

Calf raises - 5 x 1 minute on, 1 minute off.

Another 1 1/2 mile walk, this time for shopping.

(all done medium fast, mix of moving and stationary)

Mae geri jodan x 50
    Tsugi ashi kizami zuki gyaku zuki jodan x 50
    Jab, cross, low roundhouse x 50
    Hiza geri x 50
    Jab, cross, hook x 50
    Ayumi ashi junzuki jodan x 50
    Empi uchi x 50
    Kizami zuki & gyaku zuki jodan, attack and retreat x 50
    Mae geri chudan, mae ashi mae geri chudan, mawashi geri chudan x 20
    Uppercut x 30

That's all she wrote folks!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

3. LemonSloth

I'm watching it as we speak, he's made me cringe a fair few times but it's also really cool to see someone else's journey and how it affects them - cheers Haru :)

4. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Cool. :) Do you happen to know the proper Japanese word for "uppercut"?
    I haven't gotten to that yet. :eek:

5. LemonSloth

Closest I've gotten to an uppercut in karate was "Ura zuki". But since I'm also doing kickboxing, I can be lazy with the occasional word :p

6. Princess Haru

I liked when he talked about the 10 day meditation retreat, and this was the training he really needed outside the gym to make what he was doing in the ring more focussed

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Having become a recent addict to grippers, if you can crush your current gripper for 10 reps easily/close it with thumb only/finger tips only, you may need a heavier resistance one (or two! Or three!).

You could try out a Captains of Crush #1, or a Heavy Grips 150 (or the strengthshop equivalent - I think Haru has these?), and, if you get that one and it's too much, you can also get a slightly easier one (CoC #0.5 or HG100) and work up to the harder one using negatives and assisted static holds (i.e. two hand close, one hand hold and slow release etc).

My goal is to be able to crush an apple with one hand, something proper as well, like a Braeburn, Cox or King William, none of this powdery nonsesence. I am getting close, managed to put fingertip bruises in a Braeburn the other day... :evil:

8. LemonSloth

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. I don't know about you, but I find it ridiculously easy to forget about the mental aspect of training and how that affects what you do and how you do it. Perhaps its' a side of me I need to think about more? :dunno:

I've been looking at these actually, the reviews on most sites of them is that they are well worth the money, but I can't afford them for at least another month or two :cry:

Good stuff dude! I've noticed when I start to try and crush tennis balls I'm getting a small amount of compression with my whole grip and with just my finger tips, I can nearly split the ball in half on my first go, but I like your apple idea :D

9. LemonSloth

18/10/13:

Swimming this afternoon, swam 1k as follows:

25 metres front crawl w/ just the legs. Good way to get the hamstrings working.
    25 metres front crawl w/ just the arms. Starting to get a nice rhythm going on.
    50 metres breath stroke.

Rinse and repeat x 10. Pauses lasting between nothing at all and a couple of seconds for people to move back into their lanes.

Quick splash around running through water, 50 metre front crawl sprint (I still suck at this, but the first 25 metres are feeling awesome now), 50 metre back stroke sprint. Definitely not a fan of back stroke, cracked the top of my head on the stairs at the edge of the pool :cry:.

3 mile walk for shopping and swimming deliciousness.

Kata - Gekisai Dai Ni x 15, all full intensity. Starting to really enjoy this one with the bunkai as well. Couple of teething issues with linking up the movements, but it's really starting to make some sense.

Chi ishi:

"Limp Wave" x 30
    "Wrist roll" x 80 revolutions.
    "Shiko Roll" x 30
    "Round the Sloth" x 30
    "Setting Sun" x 30.

On the fourth set of movements on my left side, my shoulder let out an almighty crack and hurt like you would not believe for a few seconds, but now I have full mobility back in the shoulder again. Still a bit tender mind.

Gonna go roll my feet and legs out, but that's all she wrote tonight folks.

10. matveimediaarts

If you can get hold of some of that big rope that's used to mark lanes in swimming contests, you can throw it across the water at a sufficient distance to give you a warning that you're about to smack your poor noggin against the wall. :eek:

I am impressed with your kata knowledge. I'm still working on the old kihons. /jealous

11. LemonSloth

That's a fair point, I hadn't thought about that :eek:. Cheers dude :)

Thanks, but it's really not all that spectacular. There were a couple of movements in the kata that had been bugging me for near on a week I'd been trying to get a feel for in my head, so in the end I just figured I might as well go for it and drill it until those movements felt OK. Now there are other movements that are gonna bug me :p

==========

19/10/13:

Back in the dojo today at last! Whole hour and a half was spent almost entirely on mae geri, mawashi geri and junzuki, or rather good weight distribution and movement with those techniques. Today was the first time I came away angry at myself though. The first 45 minutes I couldn't pivot my feet properly, my balance was shot to hell in a hand basket, my hips and bad ankle were hurting, I was really slow, there was no snap to my movement - the whole thing just felt really, really bad. It doesn't help I'm not there enough, but still. The second 45 minutes were definitely better and I started to move more comfortably, but it really put a dampener of the rest of the session. The last time I moved that badly was when I was recovering after tearing the ligaments in my ankle! :bang:

Still, my tsukis seem unaffected, my legs are still strong enough to take the strain of me balancing on one leg (if anything this seemed easier today), my shin splints aren't hurting me as much as usual and I have more techniques to drill, so not all bad :)

Came back, read one of my books for a bit, got miffed at the kids playing up so I went down to the park for a bit:

Resistance band (again, big green loopy one):

Hiki te x 20
    Various Kelly Starrett style mobility stretches held for various times (stretches 1, 2, 4 & 5 from the video below):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eveYJP1indI"]Episode 211/365: The Simple Five Way Shoulder - YouTube[/ame]

Primal movement based stuff - woodsman chopping with an axe style movements, caveman dragging fresh kill and a few others involving squatting, leaning, twisting, etc..

Hamstring extensions x 40

Band assisted chin ups (1 set) and pull ups (2 sets) (5, 5, 5), 10 seconds between sets.

Gymastic rings - I suck at these harder than a Dyson sucks up dust bunnies.

Band assisted muscle ups 1 x 4
    Body Rows - 5, 5, 5 (45 seconds between sets)
    About 5 minutes of hoisting myself up, holding that position, lifting my legs up, lowering them then dropping down and generally just playing around trying to get a feel for them.

Tennis ball tied from a tree. 50 x jabs on each hand working on hand/eye co-ordination, foot movement & head movement, then 50 x hooks on each hand doing the same.

That's it for now. Gonna do some calf raises, probably a bit more training tonight, we'll see how that goes for me.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  12. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

How do you find these for dodging and footwork?

13. LemonSloth

It's not too bad actually. It could do with being a bit heavier in my opinion to force you to move your head and feet a little faster but it's easy to set up, not particularly strenuous to use and helps make the movements a lot more natural. So all in all, definitely worth a try :)

EDIT: ...And with the powers of Google Fu and a basic understanding of human anatomy, it seems I may have slightly inflamed tendons in my hips, which is why certain movements have been so damn hard to do lately. Time to lay off the kicks again for a while. Gah.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  14. matveimediaarts

Ice always does the trick for me. :) All-natural analgesic that can be had on the cheap. It takes longer with nasty injuries, but it works. :eek:

15. Princess Haru

Have you considered compression shorts under your gi? Might help with hip pain. I would also have some ankle and or knee sleeves depending where you feel random on/off pain and use when it's bad. This is what I do currently in the gym, I will wear knee sleeves when stretching or heavy load, and use my old singlet as compression shorts to keep hips warm. I probably could do with some ankle ones since my gym work with low Squats has been working my ankle mobility a lot lately. I'm still looking for affordable compression shorts in white or grey to wear for Judo.

16. LemonSloth

No, I hadn't actually. I don't think I have ever heard of them, what are they? Are they anything like cycling shorts?

I have knee supports already and thankfully I'm getting to the stage I don't need them as much. With my ankle it's mostly in my achilles heel, but occasionally it's on the outside ankle and the ligaments at the top of the foot/bottom of the shin. I've taken to wearing wraps when I go to the dojo which does help, but today was just really poop :(

17. LemonSloth

20/10/13:

No training today. Spent the day sleeping, eating and rolling (foam roller, tennis ball). In a lot of pain today, so I'm hoping that will subside. Did use the grip trainer as per normal though.

21/10/13:

Again, very easy day. I'm actually in more pain across my back, shoulders and hands than I was yesterday, but my hips don't hurt as much. That said, I'm still not up to lunges, big movement or anything else and when I tried a slow mae geri earlier it hurt. :bang:

So yeah, I'm feeling pretty miserable. Trying to stop myself from just ignoring the pain and seeing if taking it easier today helps.

Barbell @ 40kg:

Deadlift followed by Pendlay Rows - 5 & 5 x 5, 20 - 30 seconds rest.

Shrugs 5 x 10 - 10 second suspended rest between sets (I just held onto the bar, didn't put it down)

OHP followed by standing trunk twists - 5 & 5 x 5 - 20 seconds rest between sets (5 presses immediately followed by 5 twists in both directions, then 20 seconds rest).

BTN OHP 1 x 5 - I still hate these.

Squats & Good mornings - 5 & 5 x 3 - no rest at all. My pelvis and hips started to grumble, so I left it there.

Grip Trainer - usual cycle (1 x 10 reps with full grip w/ slow release, close & hold grip, thumbs & fingers partial/whole grip and even two handed for giggles).

Calf raises - 5 x 1 minute on, 1 minute rest. They're really starting to help with my old injuries and general mobility.

EDIT: Lots of time spent stretching and using the foam roller. Sat in a chair drilling the below at least 30 times per technique:

Jodan & chudan zuki, naname jodan zuki & chudan zuki, uraken uchi jodan, gaiwn uke jodan & chudan, naiwan uke jodan & chudan, nuki te uchi jodan & chudan, shuto uchi jodan, gedan barai, hiki uke chudan, ko uke chudan, ura zuki jodan & chudan, upper cuts, jabs, crosses, hooks, chudan uke, shotei uchi, empi uchi.

Figured if I can't do a lot of walking and kicking I could still work the upper body.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  18. matveimediaarts

:( Get well soon, good Sloth!

19. Princess Haru

I'm going to guess it was the gymnastic rings and chinups (or could have been the swimming, from nothing to 1k). Dunno what weight you are. Of course it depends what exercises... When I did TRX style rollouts at my last gym, my delts and shoulders were so trashed I was unable to do much upper body for rest of the week. I seem to have the same thing with full Ab Wheel rollouts. A friend of mine did some massage which helped reduce the pain to less than 4 days the next time I tried it. Just a thought.

I would do less whole body and more upper/lower split workouts. It might help you identify which of these are causing more post training pain, and if this is DOMS or something more.

20. LemonSloth

Cheers dude :).

I think you might be right. I didn't really suffer any side effects from swimming, the only thing that was vastly different was the rings - I've done chin ups before and they don't really cause me problems.

230lbs/16st 7lbs/105kg roughly last time I checked. Carrying a bit more padding on me than I should mind, but not very much any more.

You might be onto something. I've been using the foam roller & doing a few more yoga stretches yesterday and today and they're definitely helping. Upper body seems to be pretty much all DOMS + awful sleep induced, but I've definitely naffed the tendons in the pelvic/hip area. Gonna lay off a lot of the kicking and excessive foot work for a few days, see how I do.

Cheers peeps :)