Slothosaurus Training Log!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by LemonSloth, Aug 28, 2013.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Nope. All the usual candidates have been checked (inc things like lack of nutrition and lack of sleep), had a generic blood test that came back clean. GP thinks it's a case of chronic fatigue but for the most part I can manage it pretty well.

24/02/15 - 26/02/15:

Again, keeping it light this week. Nothing on tuesday, a few light sets of dips, static holds & static L-sits on the parallel bars on wednesday and today one super quick set of trap bar deadlifts starting at 50kg x 10 up to 130kg (all the weights I have at home) @ 3 x 3. Little resting time as possible. Harder than it should have been but not a surprise.

2. LemonSloth

26/02/15 - 27/02/15:

26 - nothing, needed to sleep.

27 - Aikido:

1.5 hours.

Rough session to start with. Being away from class as often as I am is killing my training.

Ended up with me taking two of the lower grades and trying to help them with their techniques while revisiting them myself.

Always feel like an imposter doing that but then at the end they were called up and asked to a technique I had been helping them work on. They got a round of applause for it so I guess we were doing OK.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Reminds me a good bit of how my cardio comes and goes. Literally there are days when I canna walk up the driveway without being winded - then there are times when I can go 12 rounds, go home and do wind-sprints at 3 am...
    though I take it your fatigue pattern not so dramatic up and down, more predictable and occurs less frequently.

4. LemonSloth

It's a bit like that actually. I wouldn't call it predictable and you're right, it's not so dramatic thankfully (no offence).

======

02/03/15:

Chi ishi shenanigans:
    20 minutes continuous, just playing around with it in different ROM's and so forth (think 5kg concrete mallet on the end of a stick).

Three sets of gripper work with CoC, press ups and ab wheels.

Trying different types of press ups with my hands spaced out in different angles, distances and such. Found I'm already a surprising amount of the way there to doing superman press ups and crucifix press ups. Go figure!

Got left at home to watch the kids while my wife went to a Green Party meeting so no opportunity to go out doing things.

5. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Would that not be..."Chi-nanigans"?

6. LemonSloth

Brilliant :happy:

==============================

03/03/15:

Nothing today. Embarrassing really. I went to the gym, got my kit ready, everything...and forgot my key.

So nothing for me today :p

=============================

04/03/15:

Swimming shenanigans:
    1k in all:
    200m breaststroke,
    100m front crawl w/ just arms, backstroke w/ just legs,
    600m front crawl/breast stroke alternating,
    100m front crawl.

Damn...Normally I do the first 300m as a warm up, have a quick stretch and then just swim taking a few seconds (about 5) to catch my breath every 100m or so. This time I went through the first 400m non-stop at a surprising speed, quick pause as my left leg cramped, 500m w/ no stops and then just a courtesy stop before the last 100m to get my head into it.

Felt kinda awesome.

Weighted walk shenanigans:
    1.5 miles, +35kg.

Definitely too light now, need to start creeping up the weight again since the distance remains roughly the same (I do try and mix up the routes though so different levels of up/downhill goodness).

7. LemonSloth

05/03 & 06/03/15:

I honestly don't remember right now. I know I spent most the time pottering round after poorly family members again, but I can't recall right now. I'll update if that changes.

=====

07/03/15:

Chi-nannigans:
    20 minutes chi-ishi work.

Followed by press ups, CoC grippy stuff and stretches.

=====

08/03/15:

Gym shenanigans:

Went to the gym tonight. Wasn't feeling particularly energetic or strong so I mostly played with the machines before closing time.

Seated chest press shenanigans:
    Multiple sets and reps up to 205lbs and then my arms gave out. Not sure if I was happy or sad with that. Really wanted to get to 220lbs.

Leg extension shenanigans:
    Few warm up sets, multiple high rep sets on the max weight because it's not massively heavy (I don't even know how much it goes up to still, most the stickers on the weights have been peeled off over time).

Seated row shenanigans:
    Multiple high rep warm up sets, ramping up to fewer reps & greater weight. Got to...134kg IIRC which was my 1rm today. Felt like on a more energetic day I might've done more, but that was hard (also, why are only some of the machines in Kgs?!).

Creeping up to closing time, went and had a shower, then...

Quick OHP shenanigans:
    w/ bar @ 1 x 10
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 40kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 5 (was a grind)
    w/ 65kg @ 1 x 3
    w/ 70kg @ 1 x 1 (push)
    w/ 75kg @ 1 x 1 (push)
    w/ 80kg @ 1 x 1 (push)
    w/ 85kg @ 1 x 1 (push)

Had a few minutes before I had to leave, so I had a quick go. Considering the general sleepiness, that wasn't bad. Toyed with trying to go for a 90kg push press but as 85 took me two tries to get up as it was, decided not to push my luck.

8. InkyTommy

Heh! :evil:

9. LemonSloth

10/03/15:

Chi-nannigans:
    20 minutes of shenanigan goodness.

===========

11/03/15:

Swimming shenanigans:
    500m mixing front crawl & breaststroke.

Pool was crowded and I didn't have much time so I cut it short.

Zercher squat shenanigans:
    Multiple sets of each weight up to 70kg (which felt super easy). Went for 80, fluffed two clean attempts to get it up (doing it at home so I have to err on the side of caution to not get in trouble) and decided to leave it there. Think I might be able to work round that for future shenanigans with a bit of pre-planning.

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Don't be too hard on thyself. I can't clean 80 kilos yet (from hang, at least...could probably do it as a power clean, IDK)

11. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Re zerchers from the floor: it doesn't have to be from a clean, have you tried doing a sumo deadlift, balancing it just above your knees with your legs bent (takes a bit of fiddling to make it not hurt your knee caps), then wrapping your arms under the bar and zerchering away? :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2OKweR-N-g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2OKweR-N-g[/ame]

12. LemonSloth

Actually I hadn't thought of doing that :eek:. I was going to rest the barbell across some chairs and what-not but this approach does look a little easier.

Thanks! :D

13. LemonSloth

12 - 15/03/15:

Whew! The days have just flown by! Lots of sleeping, press ups, some stretches, light bag work, chi-nannigans, that kind of stuff.

==========

16/03/15:

Parallel bar shenanigans:
    Four sets of static hold (8s), static L-Sit hold (8s) into dips (3). By the time I start doing dips my arms are still shaking so I have a long way to go but that's still progress. Bit by bit.

Weighted walk shenanigans:
    +40kg f/ 0.75 miles, +50kg f/ 0.75 miles.

Because reasons :p

14. matveimediaarts

15. LemonSloth

Hmmm, the toes are wrong for a sloth...they do look quite similar to lemur feet though.

Also:

[​IMG]

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i'm pretty sure those are small monkeys. why they are pro wrestling though, that i don't know :p

17. LemonSloth

Wow, it's been a while. :eek:

General update, things haven't been great of late. Due to multiple circumstances and general state of previous physical injuries and mental health (general sprains and microscopic tears to ligaments and tendons in my knees and shoulders primarily), the training recently has been knocked right back to the point of doing practically nothing for the last...3 or 4 weeks? Which means although I haven't gained much weight for a change, I have gotten a bit weaker and much more depressed.

Last few days I seem to have healed up enough to be able to carefully kick, move, lift (etc) without any more pain, so I've been starting to ease myself back into things. My OHP has lost a few KGs (struggling with 60 - 65 rather than 65 - 70, creeping 75). My rowing strength is a little weaker but I still managed 2 sets of 10 and 1 set of 20 kroc row reps pretty damn comfortably with 33kg in short succession. Weighted walk with 35kg feels a touch harder than before but it's still too easy. Endurance when it comes to sledge hammer swings has gone down (my shoulders get tight around 60 - 80 swings now rather than about 160 - 170) and my cardio has gone out the window these last couple of months - BUT my core strength seems to have improved and doing front squats with my log is easier than it used to be despite the break.

Been focusing a lot more on doing press ups, L-sit holds on the parallel bars, dips (mixed progress here) and trying to slowly progress towards doing handstand holds. Failing horribly, but slowly progressing all the same :p.

All that said, been helping to move furniture for people and the like and my ability to pick up and carry stuff (tumble dryers, televisions, large wardrobes, etc) seems to have improved dramatically :dunno:

My key to the gym has also stopped working on me and I haven't been able to get that sorted yet. Grrrrr.

So...yeah, that's it. Don't think I'm back to regular posting yet, but I'm starting to get there.

18. LemonSloth

Quick update over the last week and a half or so:

Started shadow boxing again in small doses, been swimming a few times and have started pressing overhead again. Despite my troubles pressing, yesterday I managed to slap out multiple reps of 8 w/ 55kg and it felt pretty damn good. So there's a plus. Also started tyre flipping in small doses (20 - 40 flips a time). It's heavier than it used to be but I'm happy to work with it still.

Still haven't got my key to the gym sorted, thinking I might cancel my membership and save up for an outdoor squat rack.

Using the ab wheel again after all this time sucks like you wouldn't believe :p, but I can still do it. It is more difficult than it used to be but not impossible to use (little in the way of a struggle). So I'm happy with that.

And in exciting news, I've been saving up for a few months and bought myself a cheap strongman log (max load 130kg) to play with at home! :D I'm so excited *squeal*

Still not back kickboxing or doing Aikido though. I might knock the Aikido on the head since the standards, last time I checked, seem to have gone downhill :(. Kickboxing I'm keen to get back to though.

So, that's it for now.

Toodles!

19. matveimediaarts

*SQUEAL!* :D How exciting and titillating! Next month ye need to pick up an atlas stone or 2. When I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll train at your place. No strongman gyms in my area, AFAIK. :/ :(

20. InkyTommy

Does the Ab Wheel actually work? I've always been curiously skeptical about it. It just looks like something I'd buy from the Home Shopping Network late at night after having a few beers (and by "few" I mean "many").