Slothosaurus Training Log!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by LemonSloth, Aug 28, 2013.

1. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

What quality control issues are that? Seems like a pretty cool art form. Had a college roommate who was versed in it and I loved the way he used other people's stupidity against them.

Thanks...but in my heart, I'm still a muay thai guy. It's straight forward, you know? You punch or kick or knee and elbow things. These "forms" and "belts" frighten and confuse me...

2. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Spot the difference.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I like it! It may even be scary enough to keep girls from using it cooties on it. :hat:

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

You...you named something after me?

I'm so flattered!

Wait, is that a pimple on yours or mine? :p

Often a lack of decent pressure, poor quality attacking movements, partners who pre-empt a particular fall for a technique to the point they're practically throwing themselves and (in my opinion only) a lack of hitting people in between techniques ( :p ).

It's an awesome art form, the techniques are fascinating and difficult to learn and the movement is really interesting. But finding a good club is a bit of a lottery and finding good partners can be harder still.

Belts and forms still confuse me to this day :p

Gotta admire the caveman approach to some training methods though. Grab face, smash face, repeat. It's all good :p

You sir, I am disappointed. I was hoping for a gif or a vid that was inappropriate to MAP that I missed :p

5. LemonSloth

01/02/15:

Walking shenanigans:
    +5kg f/ 1 mile, +30kg f/ 1 mile.

Walk was unplanned and sudden so no time to sort out weighted jackets. :p

Still feeling under the weather (yeesh) though general aches and pains previously have dimmed down significantly.

So finished with a few sets of dumbbell shenanigans (squats, OHP & rows w/ 18kg @ 3 x 8 each). Only reason it was that light was because that was what my dumbbell handle was set to and I couldn't be bothered to go get more weights ;). Just to use up some excess frustration at man flu jabberwongles.

It's a technical term :p.

Gentle stretches before bed.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Just curious, what would your dumbell squats, presses and rows have looked like had you not been too lazy to get new plates?

7. LemonSloth

Probably considerably heavier. The rows would've crept closer to 45kg+, squats probably would have been heavier again, OHPing at least 25kg.

8. belltoller

I suddenly feel ...

[​IMG]

9. LemonSloth

02/02/15:

Pretty much a rest day. Youngest decided to not let us have any sleep the night before, so save for some press ups, light CoC action and stretches, nothing. Did the old "Oooh, I'll finish watching this with the wife for the last 10 minutes before I go out!" *5 minutes later* *snoring*. :p

=====

03/02/15:

Got to bed two hours earlier than usual. Still didn't sleep brilliantly but the extra two hours definitely made a big difference.

Barbell shenanigans:
    OHP:
    w/ 20kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 40kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 60kg @ 3 x 8
    (BTN) w/ 45kg @ 1 x 6

Bleurgh, I have neglected BTN presses for too long :p. Wanted to go for moar volume on the back off set but it just wasn't happening. Only a few push presses w/ 60kg too, so that was alright.

Trap bar shenanigans:
    Deadlifts:
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 70kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 80kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 90kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 100kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 110kg @ 1 x 3
    w/ 120kg @ 1 x 3
    w/ 130kg @ 1 x 1

Good news - 130kg (heaviest I have ever lifted w/ the trap bar) went up as easily as I used to lift 90kg when I first started using it - some difficulty but nothing serious - so woop!

Bad news - I swear for a guy who is 6'2" I have the shortest legs known to man :p.

Really just wanted to see if I could still do it as I haven't been lifting properly for a few weeks and my knees were starting to feel stiff. Yeah, I can still do it.

Maize bag shenanigans:
    Bag boxing @ 4 minutes (!) :p

Nothing serious. Wanted to see if my ability to breathe has improved and by extension if my man flu was finally clearing. I can definitely breathe a bit better, went the first two minutes non-stop boxing no problems. Next two minutes were just me drilling punches as I'm rusty already (!) but the looks I was getting from my wife made me think that late night bag boxing outside might not be a good idea :D.

Ah well, there's always tomorrow!

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

go team press!

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Yeah trap bar!
    Now get some trap bar walks!

12. LemonSloth

I'm still scarred from the bloody pyramid you suggested I should do! :p

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

someone should start a pyramid-based workout fad and call it pharaoh fitness. but trap bar walks are made of win :p (i walked 120 a year ago, so you could probably do a crapton more)

14. LemonSloth

That is genius. Throw in some step blocks, some ridiculous music and some spandex and you'd probably have a best seller :D.

Seriously though, I'd be very interested in finding out how the max I can walk over say a 30m distance strapless. That would be interesting to see.

I wonder how much I can yoke?

15. Mangosteen

cmon, pyramid up to 130, it'll be easy!

16. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

When you say "yoke" do you mean the sort of thing Elliot Hulse does with his weighted sled device?:confused:

17. Mangosteen

a yoke is a big rig/bar with weights hanging off each end.
    often times its a farming plough modified for carrying a large weight across your back for distance.

the yoke event involves carry the weight on your back for a distance

18. belltoller

Good deal on your maize boxing progress. I look forward to the day I can get through a few minutes without feeling the need for a ventilator.

Your wife's not one of these "the neighbors, dear" types - so I'm thinking she's jealous - just like mine. If I'm down in the basement for more'n a few she shows up sussing the place out - "what are you doing down here all night?" ( 30 minutes is all night, ya know ) Then suddenly materialises this long list of things that need tending to around the house.

But - I've learnt something amasing - if I throw the MT mits at her and have her strap 'em on - she's a gamer!

Next time the missus gives you the hairy eyeball, just tell to come out side and hold your bag for you

19. LemonSloth

Haha, believe me I've considered it, but it's not something she could choose to do without risking severely hurting herself for trying :p.

She doesn't mind the bag work but our walls are paper thin and occasionally I knock the bag into the wall a bit too much :whistle:

20. LemonSloth

04/02/15:

Took the day off. I had planned to go swimming, go to the gym, do some technique work and so forth and generally just have a nice time. But with the day I had yesterday and some of the news I received...yeah. I would have hurt myself. So nada.

=====

05/02/15:

Gym shenanigans:
    35 minutes walking to and from the gym (I'm not fast today :p)

Squat shenanigans:
    Back squat:
    w/ bar @ 1 x 10
    w/ 30kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 40kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 5

Warm up. My legs did not want to move today.

Sumo squat:
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 70kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 80kg @ 1 x 5
    w/ 90kg @ 1 x 5 (9 rpe - suppose I should start tracking these a bit more)

As above. Just couldn't do them today.

ATG back squats:
    w/ 100kg @ 3 x 5 (8rpe), 1 x 3 (bleurgh)

FIIIIIIIIIISSSHHH!!!!

Oh wait, wrong bit.

Did the first set of squats and on the 5th rep wondered what the hell had happened to me. Had planned to go heavier but just didn't feel like I could today. So I stuck at 100kg and did a few sets.

First rep of each set was a standard ATG squat and each rep per set I paused a touch longer until I was doing a 5 second paused ATG squat on the last rep for each set. Fourth set I just wasn't feeling it. Probably not a bad thing as I cramped up like you wouldn't believe and needed to stretch.

Dumbbell shenanigans:
    Bench press w/ 12.5kg @ 10 x 15

FIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSHHHH!!!!

Saw these on Fish's log, though they looked fun, gave them a go. Never mind the dodgy looks I kept getting from the dude in the gym who must've thought I was hilariously weak or had no clue what I was doing (though I did get a raised eyebrow at the 5s paused ATG squats :p).

A lot easier than I thought they'd be, but still harder than I would have expected. Definitely willing to do these again but with a bit more weight.

Going out a bit later so I have no idea what I'll get up to.

Also, thinking I've gotta try Zaad's pyramid again. Much as I'm sure I will curse him for it.

Also, my parallel bars turned up today! Callisthenic wootage to be had! :D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015