Slipthejab keeps it short and sweet...

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by slipthejab, Dec 25, 2007.

1. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

I wrote this big response... but why bother? Deleted it.

As requested, you're on my ignore list.

Take the humbleness you have with your clip and apply it to your everyday posts. That's free advice and you get what you paid for.

As people have stated, you don't win arguments, slippy. People just don't want to bother with you.

I guess I'm joining that crowd, but we did have some fun, didn't we, Luke?

I do honestly wish you well. It's just the stupid internet, right?

Let me know if you're ever in Melbourne, I'll buy you a beer.

2. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

that head kick was clean slip.

Respect.

3. Ouch, nice kick Slip!

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I dont know how slip can sleep at night...kicking grey haired old pensioners in the head... :D

You have however done something that a great many martial artists will never do...knock someone out!...is that a good thing, or bad?!?

You decide kids! :D

I do think Flaslock made a good idea however in his splint mumblings, it would be good to have a video thread section here on MAP....the way this one has gone it would surely liven things up a bit!

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Most individual forums on here have video threads, tends to be youtube stuff though. I posted a vid of me a while back but was for a limited time only :D

Make me really want to try MT now Slips! :D

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A) because IIRC I'm older than he is

B) I probably have just as much white hair.. you can't see it because I was baldy in that fight

C) because even if he was a grey hair pensioner... I'd rather hand out the beating than take the beating.

:D

So yes... I'll sleep like a babe.

7. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Just like he did after eating that head kick! :D

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Lucus huh?

Great kick man. :D

9. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Nice kick Slip. Takes guts to get in there and guts to put the video up. So.........

Here's my first ever Muay Thai fight

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpyHbJV2tdE"]YouTube[/ame]

And the first round of my 2nd fight

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys2eb1AgiB8"]YouTube[/ame]

The rest of the 2nd fight is there if you search on youtube. It went all 5 rounds despite the fact I broke the toes in my right foot early in round 1. The guy was small but really tough!

Criticise away! :rolleyes:

Smee

10. slipthejab

Thanks for the props bro.:)

Niiiiiiiiiiiice. Well done on both the fights. That second fight is a gem. Nice one to have under the belt I say. Yeah your opponent was a tough nut that's for sure you guys traded kicks/punches/elbows for a solid five rounds. My favorite shot was your perfectly timed teep in the 2nd round of the 2nd fight. Textbook and put him on his ass just the way it's supposed to. You punch/kick combos are nice and fluid. Something I need to work on. I'm definitely inspired bro. Thanks for posting that.... it's more of what we need here at MAP. :)

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Haha...at home for Chrimbo and I miss this gem.

I have to say it is somewhat satisfying to see this clip after being on the receiving end of some pointed slipthejab posting myself.
    He's human after all! :)
    Nice KO my man..very sharp.

I might post up one of my Karate grading fights in the Karate forum in solidarity with him.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

13. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Thanks. I just tried to keep it calm and remember my training. I've seen too many scrappy fights where no-one really uses any muay thai so wanted to try to take my time and learn something from my fights.

As some of the older bods on here might remember my background is in the korean and chinese traditional arts and I only switched to muay thai about 2 years ago after getting a bit disillusioned at the lack of opportunity to hit and get hit. My only previous competitive fight experience was points sparring and 2 x 2 min rounds of light continuous about 3 or 4 years ago.

i've been over to thailand a couple of times but never fought so this time I got 6 months off work and went over with the aim of having at least 2 fights. Hopefully 3. I've just turned 37 so the broken toes put me out of action for about a month and it looks like i might miss out on the 3rd fight as i've only got about 2 weeks training time left. I might squeeze one in tho! ;)

Maybe the fact I'm so old was why I kept it calm though.....maybe I cant move any faster than that anymore!!! hahahah :p

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Cool, nice work Smee! :D

Ok so now I am scared again about trying mt !!! :p

15. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Hahaha.....yeah, you should have seen my ribs after that 2nd fight. Black and blue is an understatement! And he landed a few solid elbows on my head - it felt like an egg carton afterwards hahaha.

Do NOT underestimate wee thai guys!!!!

16. slipthejab

Wiser words were never spoken. Now imagine this... if the size difference were in the other direction!!! :eek: So imagine whatever height/reach/weight advantage you had... take that and imagine an opponent with the proportionate advantage over you... :D It puts a whole new focus on K-1 fighters like Kaoklai who regularly fight guys that are so bigger than they are.

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

He seemed a huge step up in quality, guess you must have impressed in that first fight.

18. millasur

millasur New Member

Cant even remember if I posted on this but I'm bored and have noting to do hence regoing thru stuff lol.....

Good job firstly. I have to echo some peoples' comments (I know you sed he was a lot stronger than you) but you're 10 lbs heavier? And well, it looks like you own him, to be frank. It looks like a bit of a mismatch to me (obv not your issue, just saying.) after the first few seconds with the reach etc I wasn't seeing you lose unless he was good enough to get inside and pummel you, but that didn't look like happening lol! (He looked very tentative and stayed backing off..)

Neways, my question's more to do with the protective gear -and kinda related to the comment above - if you were guarding well, could he really have knocked you out lol!? With no headgear, is the only way of knockout realistically a head kick?! Dyou think you cuda taken him out with punches or not?

Again, congrats.

EDIT: oh I see we've moved onto Smee's fights now. Will go youtube! Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  19. millasur

millasur New Member

Smee you look like a monster. hahaha. Vicious that 2nd fight looked! Good job on the first one totally overwhelmed him...

Here's a question - what can you 'do' if it's like Smee's 2nd fight where you know its hard to hurt him?! Is it just a case of waiting for a killer punch or a roundhouse to the head?! Personally I wud be kinda pist I had to go 5 rounds just trading with someone because they couldn't significatnly hurt me and the same for me hurting them...

Also, in all clinch scenarios it seems you both try to spin the opponent out etc. I know that's what's "meant" to happen, is it just I haven't trained well enough?! In clinches in training it's always been a battle for inside control but more or less we've stayed relatively straight (or nothing like you guys in your fights.) I spend a lot more time trying to get my arms inside than moving my feet basically lol... To be honest, I can imagine getting inside control whilst also moving around etc and trying not to be thrown to be a bit of hard work lolol...

Congrats again...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  20. slipthejab

Yeah it can go either way. He could have just chopped me off at the knees if he was smart. What people don't see really is that his first low kick that I manage to somewhat check... still took a week to recover from. When I say recover... I mean not walk with a limp. It's the sort of thing that doesn't look like much... but the week after the fight... yeah it hurt. :D

The weight difference is what it is... he had the choice to accept the fight or not. He chose to so it was on. That's where it's at. On top of that there was a last minute change up in that his corner wanted him in 8oz. gloves and me in 16oz gloves. I didn't want to duck a fight just because of that.

Overall he's the one who initiates the fight. He throws first... I counter pretty much the entire time. So he wasn't exactly there to pet kittens.

It all depends... my chin is OK. I've been rocked before but have never been put down with a chin shot. Not that it can't happen... it just hasn't yet. I'm sure if he caught me right on the button he could have KO'd me. It always could go either way.

In terms of me finishing him off with punches. Despite the errors in my punching I see... I probably could have finished him off with punches. Several of my punches do land relatively clean. Two snap his head back somewhat... the first or second jab and later on a right. But I don't really think I thought about going for the KO in the first round. It's not like it's a priority... as you know the first rounds generally are for feeling out your opponent. It wasn't planned but at the same time.... the opening presented itself and my body just took it. It's not like I consciously thought... ok I need to KO him in the first.

In fact my trainer was not that pleased with it. He expected me to take my time and open him up a bit more. To work more with some of the things we'd been doing in training. But like I said... sometimes the body responds and the mind isn't involved.