Sleepy 24/7

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hapuka, May 20, 2007.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I don't if it's because I'm lazy or not but I always seem to feel tired all the time.
    I'm always yawning. On top of that I always feel cold and hungry too. (It is winter time) But I was wondering could there be something wrong with my metabolism? What can I do to help me stay more awake during the day and during martial art classes?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

2. Lily

Lily Valued Member

1. Are you on any medication?

2. Get into a regular schedule on weekdays (you're in school right?), don't stay up late watching TV, playing games, online etc.

3. Is your sleeping environment quiet, calm, comfortable?

Those are just little things to think about, it could be something else but start with the basics before you look for some complex solution.

3. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Sounds like me...except I'm not always cold. It really sucks when you're always tired and have a hard time staying/getting awake to do things you know you want or need to do.

Some possibilities I have come across are thyroid problems and or a sleep apnea problem.

Can't really give you any advice as I myself am still trying to figure out what to do, if you are sure you have are getting enough sleep on a regular basis but still feel tired all the time you should see a doctor.

I hope you figure it out as soon as possible.

4. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

1. Yes I'm on anti depression pills.

2. I try not to stay up too late (I go to bed at 12am) Although I don't do go to school (home schooled), I still have to get up early to do house chores.

3. My sleeping environment is quiet. Although its not very calm or comfortable.

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hey hun,

You should definitely ask your doc about it then.

Why don't you try going to bed an hour earlier as well?

Why is your sleep environment not calm or comfortable? Can you take some small actions to improve that?

6. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Might be a good idea to check your iron levels too. I used to get tired all the time and was put on iron tablets which helped.

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

check your blood, as already suggested iron level

8. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Some really good advice from everybody.

Also in the winter here in the UK i get sleepy all the time, think i get the seasonal depression thing.

All the best.

9. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

do you drink enough?

10. Hiroji

Dont want to attetion whore but are you asking me neryo?

if so id say i do, as well as a few pints of water a day i have tea and coffee...and sometimes beer... :eek: :D

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hehehehe no, i wasn't asking you, i was asking the original poster, but thanx for the info anyway :D :D :D

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

:topic:

Lol that's off topic....... :)

13. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I'm always drinking water through out the day. I always have a glass of water next to me that I can grab and drink. So fluid intake isn't a problem.

14. Hiroji

Ok sorry... :p

15. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Well firstly, 12am in pretty late on a school night in my opinion. If you're going to bed at 12am and getting up at about 6 or 7am, that's only 6 or 7 hours sleep, and the minimum number of hours is about 8. I also think that your pills probably have something to do with it too.

16. Moony

Moony Angry Womble

The tiredness and cold could be related to thyroid disorder. Here are some of the other symptoms of thyoid disorder, if we're going with hypothyroidism...which is the one with the tiredness.

Weight gain, thining of the hair, nails getting brittle and ridges forming on them, tinitus, dry skin, constipation, water retention, poor concentration, high cholesterol, loss of sex drive, i think there's some short term memory issues with it too (it has been a while since i looked at the symptoms).

Best way to rule out the thyroid is to have your thyroid function checked.

17. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

My pills can cause sleeping problems If I take them at night. I take mine in the morning. Because I'm home schooled mum gets me up when she goes off to work (around 8 am) I am trying to get myself off to bed at a good hour. :eek:

18. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I think she is alluding to the fact that anti-depression type pills mess with the brain chemistry which can cause drowsiness etc...

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Too much sleep can have the same effect as too little. If I sleep for 8 hours I feel like I've been hit by a truck for the rest of the day, its best to work out how much you need yourself.

20. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

How much time do you spend outside or even just out of the house?