Sleeping skills

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by axelb, May 1, 2018.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Something we probably all know well enough, sleep is good for us.

I watched the recent Joe Rogan podcast with Matthew Walker, Professor of Neuroscience and Psychology.
    I found this an interesting discussion, and some fascinating facts about skill learning is practised at 20% in your sleep.

now I just need to convince my children this :D

David Harrison likes this.
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Thanks for that, I'll watch it later.

Dreaming was an important part of training for me. I used to visualise sparring as I went to sleep so that I'd dream about it. I had a few breakthroughs in my dreams that carried over into waking life, as weird as that may sound.

Anyone else have that ideomotor effect when you're drifting off and there's a fight scene on the telly? My limbs start twitching in response to seeing other people fight.

axelb likes this.
  3. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

An interesting thing related to sleep that I haven't done (though I've tried and will probably try again in the future) is lucid dreaming. It seems like with good dream control you could practice fighting in your sleep as well. Re-figure out exactly how that anaconda choke against a turtling opponent works without having to go to open mat (or freeing up time during open mat for other stuff). Etc.

The issue for me is the dream diary. It is really hard for me to record this. Either its too dark to see to write if I wake up in the middle of the night (and making light wakes up my wife), or I'm too sleepy when I wake up after a dream and just want to go back to sleep.
    Maybe recording just in the morning when I get up would work...

David Harrison and axelb like this.
  4. David Harrison

I've managed to lucid dream a couple of times (I've kind of half got there many times, but only really broke through twice), but to be honest just learning how to move around was enough of a challenge. It didn't feel like I was in my body like in normal dreams, it was more like an out of body experience.

As for writing down dreams without waking your better half, how about having your phone ready to just jot down a couple of notes to jog your memory when you get up and write it up properly?

axelb likes this.
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm the best at sleeping out of anyone I know. I'm like a Grandmaster at sleep.
    Can sleep any time, any where.

axelb likes this.
  6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

My late training partner Larry was originally a TKD guy.Was coming drifting out of sleep with combos running through his mind.Unconsciously front kicked and dropped his girl who was standing next to the bed.Woke up hearing this moaning but when he opened his eyes no one was there. o_O

Then he looked down at the floor.

P.S.-she was ok.Merely a flesh wound.

You can't use your body in dreams,which is what we all try to do.That's why when running in dreams your legs feel like cement.You're trying to run but can't-'cause your asleep.(If you're lucky you might be able to front kick your lady,tho').

If you get lucid you have to "think" moving somewhere,don't try to walk,run,etc.For example,just decide "up" if you're going to stand,or "forward" if crossing the room.

You won't retain enough.Most dream logging has to be immediate or kiss bye-bye.

Plenty of good studies and literature on dreaming,just avoid the New Age and interpretive stuff. Because sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

"I love my cigar too, but I take it out of my mouth every once in a while.” “I got $25.00 from Reader’s Digest last week for something I never said."

P.S. Question-How many here have kiaied in their sleep?

That's spooky!:eek: Real spooky.:eek::eek::eek:

I don't recommend it as a self waking technique!

7. David Harrison

You can, actually. Becoming physically adept and not succumbing to treacle legs and whatnot in dreams seemed to directly correspond to confidence of physical skills in waking life for me.

Yes, that was my experience. However, I do know someone who is a regular lucid dreamer and they learnt how to use their body in lucid dreams, so the experience can be different.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Oh yeah, I meant the physical body, sending signals to one's actual legs,which is what folks normally do-but not always.Sometimes a person can't run,other times they can. The mind is a terrible thing.

So how many front kicks can you execute in a row? see * below.

They have bridged the gap and are not trying to use the physical body,and have learned to use the "body" they have in dreaming,otherwise they would be back at the cement leg place.

*I wasn't saying we can't "run", or for instance wield Kali sticks in dreams with our "arms"-we can,but not if we're trying to use our real arms.Get it?o_O

Sorry I wasn't clearer.

9. David Harrison

I see.

Though, there is no way to stop neural signals being sent through the body that mirror the imagined movements, even if muscles aren't being noticeably activated.

10. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

So this seems relevant to the discussion of body control while lucid dreaming...
    The closest I got...
    I had chosen a reality check that was very subtle and easy to do: I put try to breathe through my nose, but have my throat closed (it takes a subtle physical muscle action in my throat to do that, and your mouth has to be closed). This was my modified version of the not-as-subtle pinching your nose with 2 fingers and then trying to breathe through it (which will supposedly work in dreams, obviously not in reality).
    What actually happened: I was dreaming and did my reality check! Except it woke me up choking myself/coughing... seems I did actually move that muscle and block my air input, and then tried to take a deep breath through my nose, which woke me up. Whoops.