Sleeping Dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by warriorofanart, Aug 9, 2012.

1. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

- Wikipedia

Screenshots

The game looks gorgeous. I am a fan of crime games, and this one seems to be one of the better ones coming out this year.

What drew me in was the short film to promote the game. There's no game footage, just a movie-inspired short film which was pretty badass!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgWMgGrZDY&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgWMgGrZDY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Anyone looking forward to the game?

2. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Gamepointsnow.com is offering a code for the Steam download of the game for £20 preorder, I'm very tempted, but I have so many games, it's foolish of me to even be tempted by this one, and Borderlands 2 is out next month as well, so I'm trying to ignore this for now. Saw a demo of it though and it does look like awesome fun, sort of a modern day Assassins Creed, with gadgets :D

3. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I'm looking forwards to this game. Have been since it was first announced many moon again...

Apparently there's a GSP pre-order pack. Your character gets GSP logo'd clothing and GSP's flying punch and extra grappling damage...

4. warriorofanart

Yeah, it was announced in 2009 under the name "True Crime: Hong Kong" or something to that effect. I am tempted to do the pre-order (didn't know about the extras, very cool), but like Hatamoto I have Borderlands 2 pre-ordered already :(

The only thing I read that kinda threw me off is that the main story line seems to be a bit short. I am looking forward to at least 30 hours of game play for the amount of money I'll be paying for it, but I guess since it's an open world type of game that won't really be much of an issue.

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Yeah, I have it pre-ordered on steam. It's Basically GTA4, set in Hong Kong, with some Shenmue aspects in Martial Arts/training, there's a good/evil thing like fable (cop/triad) So unlike Gta 4 if you run over civilians in your car it will play on your characters conscience and give him more of a "triad rating". Also it has the John Woo/Wachowski bullet time (like in Stranglehold/Max Payne 3). Square Enix/Eidos cars and environment look gorgeous these guys did Need for Speed and basically said they used a lot of the driving mechanics in game. Then there's a rank "face system" to go up in the triad and cop worlds.

I really can't wait. Being Square Enix and the guys who did Deus Ex/Tomb Raider/Hitman there is unfortunately no multi player element. Really happy they are optimizing it for PC though and not just a bad console port so we can get a constant 60fps at 1080p :D

6. CrowZer0

It was originally Black Lotus by the devs activision wanted to add it to their True Crime: Hong Kong list (I would not have gone anywhere near the game if Activision did this, they hate PC gamers) Since it was bought by Square Enix they completely changed the game :D

7. Hatamoto

I'm a fool, the assassin's creed with gadgets thing was about Watchdogs lol. I'm still looking forward to Sleeping Dogs, but more excited about Watchdogs, that looks amazing.

8. warriorofanart

Okay, I am seriously tempted right now. I am going to hold off for a few days after the release to read the reviews by Eurogamer and Metacritic. There are a few games that manage to weave morality into the game play without it begin overbearing or as an afterthought. Fable, while probably not the first to have morality scale, made it such a huge part of the game play that you actually had to seriously debate whether killing this npc was worth the reward or not for example.

If Sleeping Dogs manages it that well, I'm sold.

Square Enix rarely fails to deliver. Their work on Deus Ex was exemplary!

9. warriorofanart

"Free running" is an aspect in the game (vaulting, tic-tacking, climbing, etc. are all considered free running) so there's a strong possibility it'll have some of the same elements in Assassin's Creed :)

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I did like True Crime NY and will look into this one. That being said I originally saw the live action trailer on the GameStation podcast and I agred with what was said on there: Looks like the trailer for the best film ever made, but tells and shows me sod all about the game.

What I've read sounds cool so will probably give it a look.

Keep getting the name mixed up with WatchDogs which is pretty annoying
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyU7FM7f_kc"]Watch Dogs E3 2012 Gameplay Demo - IGN Live - YouTube[/ame]

11. warriorofanart

How did I miss Watch Dogs? It looks like it shares a lot of similarities with Deus Ex, except it has a more exploring feel to it. I'll keep my eyes on it :D

12. CrowZer0

Well, a couple of PS3 magazines already gave it 9/10, they said it's the best game of the year and a hidden gem. (They didn't give Skyrim/Arkham/Deus Ex a 9)I envy not being in America, you guys get it on the 14th, don't understand why Europeans have to wait until the 17th!

13. CrowZer0

Why you no watch E3? :p

14. CrowZer0

I also went through the devs logs of what they did for the PC version. They did much more than any other console port. That is why it was an insta PC buy for me, it's better at 1080p and more optimized than any thing on cross platforms. They treated it like a PC standalone, with more features on PC, more so than badly optimized GTA4, L.A. Noire, Skyrim, Arkham City.

If you have a 1080p HD screen, enjoy this video on max.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVylVR2TyAY"]Sleeping Dogs 'PC Showcase Trailer' [1080p] TRUE-HD QUALITY - YouTube[/ame]

That is actual gameplay! Why would anyone console game? :p

15. warriorofanart

It's one of those things I know I should do, but I just haven't :p

LOOKS SICK! I've always been envious of PC gamers. I've never really go into it because it seemed like too much trouble. The game play looks awesome! The controllers seem pretty fluid and that's a huge plus. I hate the chasing missions so I hope it's not too common in the game.

16. CrowZer0

Pc gaming's a breeze, the people who would find it hard is those who don't know what a browser is when you tell them to get online, they call internet explorer "the internet".

17. Hatamoto

Thankfully most games can be tweaked to lower the graphics to a degree that my humble PC (that's I think two years or so old now) can make it work. Even Just Cause 2, which has a massive draw distance, works just fine for me if I disable things like decals and antialiasing. I only ever get lag when I fire off eight rockets without changing the camera angle, coz the smoke trails thicken and it's hard for my PC to render. So it's good to know Sleeping Dogs will work at HD level, but I'll be playing it with quite humble graphics.

18. CrowZer0

If the game is on PS3 and a 360, three year old gpus will have no issue running the game, they have already released the min requirements. I built my pc April last year, it can still run any game on ultra, has an I7 2600k, water cooling and an Asus 4gb 6990 graphics card, it should be able to handle any game for the next 6 years or so, I spent 2600 pounds on this one (not counting peripherals). But I tend to make a new one every two years anyway :p

19. warriorofanart

It's not that it's complicated, just much more expensive. 2600 pounds is like $4000 every 2 years on a PC? I'll stick to my dusty ol' console :D

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

My mate and I are insanely excited about sleeping dogs. We're hoping it's a bit like GTA with free roam and the ability to kill civilians.

We're going to visit our friends neIghbourhoods and hangout spots and kill all the NPCs

Itll be like being back in hk!