Skydiver's parachute fails...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by karate princess, Feb 13, 2007.

1. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I saw this this morning on GMTV (yes, I'm off school ill, well, I have a really bad cold...)

Michael Holmes plunged towards the ground at 12,000 ft and filmed all of it. His parachute failed as did the reserve one and he was heading towards a concrete car park at 80mph. Luckly he hit some plant land instead and amazingly he's alive and okay except from a broken ankle and punctured lung! He thought he was going to die and even said "Oh ***t, I'm dead! Bye!" into the camera.

Scary stuff!

http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=24574

Watch the video on the page, it's really scary.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages...rticle_id=435694&in_page_id=1990&in_a_source=

!NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

A similar thing happened to a friend of a friend of mine at university.

She was an experienced sky diver and it seemed that the main chute failed to open but for some reason she didn't open her reserve chute. It seemed that she might have passed out on the way down which explains the no attempt being made to open the reserve.

She died.

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

KP: That video is scary.... guy was extremely lucky!

4. acrux

acrux vi et animo

All you can ask is how on earth did he survive that 12000ft = approx 4 km

5. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

The human body is an amazing thing...

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

And the moral of this story is don't go skydiving!!!!!
    Far too dangerous! They do lots of it where I live and really looks frightening,and that vid is enough to put anyone off!

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

No matter how good the safety record of sky diving is it'll never be safer than not doing it at all. :eek:

8. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Now I understand doing it for charity and for dropping behind enemy lines but other than that why risk it?

You're hurtling towards earth with a blanket and rope to slow you down!!!

9. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

So would that be a fear of dying, or living? :D :D

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Fear of a) jumping out of a plane very high up b)hurtling towards the ground at a very high speed and c) the parachute not opening! :p

I much prefer doing things like hurling myself down mountains on small pieces of plastic and bikes. :eek:

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I love it:

"Mikey! Mikey? Are you ok?"

"No."

12. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

:D Slindsay ...

The video hasnt put me off.... Im going to be jumping in a few months

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Good luck Sgt!!! :eek: :eek:

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I don't think some advil and sleep are going to make that feel better. He's going to be hurting for a while.....

15. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Hell that was scary, cant believe he made it!

It takes a few stiff ones for me to get on a plane, let alone jump out of one! not for me thanks i like the ground.

16. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Best rush every

It’s one of the best rush's ever! :D The best is you first jump (static line) then even better is your first free fall. :D The only down side is roller coasters and such have no real rush any more. To bad it got too expensive for me to continue when I was younger and required too much of my time when I had a lot of other thing I wanted to experience.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  17. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

As Clint Eastwood once said...."Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane" ;)

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'd love to try it, but you sure hope the parachute packer wasn't having a bad day when he wrapped your chute up.