Skull Crushers vs. Pull-overs

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JaxMMA, May 17, 2011.

1. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

What is the main difference between these two?
    I've tried looking up some videos, but they seem to be the same thing, with exception of one video where a guy only lowers the bar down to his forehead for skull crusher demo?

Thanks.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

bent arms (motion mainly from the elbow) vs straight arms (motion from the shoulders) as far as I can see.

looks like the variation in Skull Crushers is a bit of a red herring, I've also seen SCs with starting position above the forehead, to middle point behind head and return, so cutting out any rest position. I need to work on triceps so got to teach myself this one next :)

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Skull crushers are a tri exercise that pivot at the elbow.

Pull overs are a lat and chest movement that pivot at the shoulder with almost straight arms.

Pull overs are a great mass building movement that really helps add width and thickness tho your upper back and shoulders.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

^^^ What he said ;)

5. seiken steve

6. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Thanks guys

7. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I just wanna thank JaxMMA cuz I've decided to just vary my routine as much as I can w/out forgetting things.

I totally forgot about pullovers and I'm going to definitely add them into my lat routines.

8. seiken steve

Hell yeah.

The most under rated movement IMO

9. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I tried some Skull Crushers last night with 15kg. Keeping the elbows solid and pointing up vertically was challenging.

10. krow

krow New Member

The best exercise I have found (an article in a mag.) is to combine the 2. With a bar, you start with the skull crusher lowering the weight to your forehead, move the weight back behind your head, move the wieght back to your forehead and then finish pushing the weight back to the start position. The workout from the mag. said to do these sets:
    #1 - 30 reps #2 - 12 reps #3 - 10 reps #4 - 8 reps #5 - 6 reps #6 - 30 reps
    This really increased my strength.