Skin rashes

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by minamo9, Jun 7, 2012.

1. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I'd like to point out that I have a Latin-processing machine in my basement, and it churned out that creative spelling of Staph. I have my elves working on it though, and that shouldn't happen again.

2. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

So, went to the doctor again, condition got worse. Whole hands are a mess, and it starts to bleed on spots. Doctor agreed to make pictures and send them to the dermatology section, Will get results in like 2 days.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

What the hell?

I know you may not have meant thing to mean this, but you pretty much told someone with a serious skin disease that smearing honey over their skin would likely cure their condition.

To the OP - what the hell? Your GP is taking photographs and sending them to a dermatologist. I would seriously get more demanding at this point. It's bad now and sounds like it is getting worse quite quickly. Get your doctor to contact the dermatologist ASAP, via phone with you in the room is best. Get an emergency appointment.

You said yourself it got significantly worse over a weekend. Who can tell how much worse it will be after 2 more days until the dermatologist can get you a diagnosis, let alone actually start some sort of treatment. And that's presuming you can get a diagnosis from a photo.

4. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

In Holland you can't go to a dermatologist directly. You need approval from the GP. They always use tele-dermatology at first to determine the cause and cure, If that fails you need to wait a few weeks before a spot at the dermatologist becomes available. Due to the cuts in the healthcare sector this is the way it goes, wether i like it or not.

Btw, i know the honey does not cure it, but it might soothen the pain or itch.

Henk

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Frankly before you try honey to cure the itch... you might want to do some research on an oatmeal bath. This is a common home remedy to relieve the itching and discomfort associated with skin rashes/blisters from poison ivy and poison oak. As a kid it was inevitable that we got into roaming around through river beds and canyons... my mom would see the rash and it doesn't take much for it to spread like wild fire... insidious the stuff... she'd chuck us into a bathtub with oatmeal solution to draw out the poison oak and take away the itch.

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/oatmealbath.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Oatmeal-Bath

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/oatmeal-bath-for-itchy-skin.html

It might work for you... it might not. Aren't you the same guy that was thinking about going to train with socks on in your gym. Can you see now exactly why I said don't do it at any costs... if whatever you have is contagious you could have easily spread it to everyone one in the gym. Ugh. People like that don't last long at their gyms because it ****es people off no end when they don't take care of their medical issues first before training.

Hope you get it sorted. Snap few pics of the rash and sores and post them up.

6. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I meant to address this originally, ran out of time, then forgot. You can't just go willy nilly smearing honey at the local beekeeper on an open wound without risk of a secondary infection. I can't explain precisely how they do it in a clinical environment in the literature (because I don't believe it was explained), but I'm certain they have sterilized the honey in some capacity. It's kind of a dire emergency situation though, where the patients life is at great risk due to conventional antibiotics being inefficient with antibiotic resistant Staph that loves to live in hospitals. Any time you're dealing with an open wound, the risk of infection (or secondary in your case) is very high. That's why you hear so much about keeping wounds clean and covered as highly stressed as it is. Manuka honey comes in a clean form as well, and there is higher regulation in it's purity and control than in some random local bee farmer who "might" have high QC standards, or who might not. Clinically, the wounds are packed and then covered in a sterile environment. The honey has to be removed and the wounds cleaned repeatedly. I imagine it's excruciating too. The fact is, it's your body and you can do what you choose, but it doesn't sound like you're even remotely in a position to learn any sterile honey methods effectively, or that you have the necessary training to do it safely even if you did read about it. I recommend the ER if it's progressively getting worse and worse and your GP is entirely inefficient, which is sounds like he might be. So, either become medically trained over night while you're all itchy, suffering, and desperate, or go to a professional.

7. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

Okay, here is a picture of the rash.

[​IMG]

8. slipthejab

It looks like a bad case of Hong Kong foot... on your hand. Which is to say athletes foot that's spread to your hand etc.

Get it sorted ASAP.

9. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

It is also troublesome on the foot. However, putting my barefoot in front of my webcam at work will raise some questions:p.

10. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

So, i just got the results in from teledermatology. It seems i have a case of tinea manu et pedis, a fungal infection that spreaded to the hands and feet.

I will have to wait till friday before the pharmacy has my pills. I have to take pills for 4 weeks in order to cure the fungus. Normally cremes should be enough, but it seems i have a variation that is resistant to cremes.

Henk

11. slipthejab

Yep pretty much what I thought from the picture... Athletes foot... or as we call it here... Hong Kong foot. It can bloody painful onces it gets set in. Get on your pills take your full prescription and make sure you clean out all your shoes with spray and always dry your feet fully, carry spare socks for before and after training and use foot powder. Believe it or not this can spread to your crotch... ugh... so take it seriously... once this gets on your sack you are gonna know the meaning of misery. :p

12. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

SliptheJab, thanks to you i know officially have fungusphopia.

Either way, i try to change socks alot. I just hope my laundry does not pile up. I only have one pair of shoes though, and anti-fungus spray is pretty expensive here.

I try cleaning my gloves and pads, but i dont know how that will work on the foam inside it.

13. slipthejab

You don't have a choice. Wipe the inside of your gloves with an anti-septic wipe. Detol makes wipes that are good to use inside of gloves. Most gloves are lined with nylon on the inside not just straight foam. Most foam holds up to the detol readily anyhow. But the key is making sure things dry out. If you extra sensitive to the fungus then wear flip flops in your gym shower and while in the locker room. Easy to get. The fungus thrives in warm, wet environments with high foot traffic. So dry you kit out. Make sure you only wear socks one time.

No matter how much anti-fungal spray is it's got to be cheaper than time off training, misery and medication.

14. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

Alrighty. Where would i be able to purchase such a thing?.

15. slipthejab

Uh... drug store? Grocery store? Chemist? Pharmacy. It's insanely common most places in the developed world. This fungus is hardly rare or unknown. :p

16. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

Alright. let's hope i'm able to pay it. xD

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh man, this means you got the fungi from just being nasty. Poor hygiene sir, was the problem. The only way to prevent stuff like this is to make sure you wash up RIGHT after training, and try to stay dry. Bring some sandals to practice so you can make your way back home and let your feet dry out. Also using foot powder in the shoes can help to keep things dry. Find a really cheap brand of socks for training and buy enough so that you can just throw the socks away after training until the fungus goes away.

If you wear hand wraps, take them boys off as soon as your done. If you're not hitting something you don't need to wear them while you're working out and dryness is key for your hands as well. I would also rotate uses through at least three pairs of them (can't do the sock thing with wraps really, as they aren't as cheap).

The only other thing I could think to help you has already been suggested by cleaning out your protective gear/gloves. Set those guys out in the sun too so they can dry.

I've had the foot fungi before during deployment and the sock thing was the only thing to get rid of it (couldn't really get meds or cream for it). Good luck man, stay clean and stay dry! Next up is getting your groin breaking out with beautifully colored red fungus that itches like nothing else if you don't start keeping dry!

18. Ero-Sennin

Another option is hand sanitizer. We did that with my one pair of boxing gloves that about 50 different guys used and nobody broke out. It's cheap and it's everywhere and it kills 99.9% of everything!

19. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

Uhm, no. I shower daily and always dry well. However, things like these can spread quite easily. At gyms where you shower together it can be quite easily caught. In fact, it is caused at public places most of the time.

20. Ero-Sennin

Sorry man, didn't mean to sound like I was telling you that you're a nasty thing in a negative way. I've got all of this before myself, as well as more. Much of it is caused from poor hygiene in the sense of what you have to do around a bunch of other people. Flip flops in the shower, getting out of wet clothes ASAP, changing socks every day and never touching the pair you just wore, drying out all equipment after rubbing it down with disinfectant, etc..

It has nothing to do with showering and being clean to go out, but rather normal practice to keep nastiness from your body. Again, didn't mean to make you out to be a "every third day" shower type of person!