Skin rashes

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by minamo9, Jun 7, 2012.

1. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

A week or so ago i posted something about a toe fungus. It starts to spread to my hands now, causing my skin to rash, with alot of open blisters. I went to the doctor, and he just gave me a creme again for the third time, even though he has no idea what it is.

If that does not work they will subscribe oral medicine to me, and those can cause permanent liver damage.

So, does anyone have any alternative remedies for getting fungus/rash away before i possibly destroy my liver?.

Thanks in advance

Henk

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Well, I had staph once and it had similar symptoms. In fact that particular breed attacks your nervous system too, so if you start feeling ticklish/electric jolts in the affected areas for no apparent reason, you should probably just take the meds. I tried bleach, alcohol, bunch of creams. Most painful thing I've ever done to myself more than once was the bleach and it didn't do much to it. The antibiotics killed it right away though.

And so long as you take the appropriate dosage (read: a small enough amount that your liver is able to keep up filtering it) and stay hydrated, you should be fine. But then I'm not a doctor, so take that with a grain of salt.

3. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works? .... medicine.

Discuss the pharmaceutical options with your GP, or get a second opinion, but either way if the cream doesn't work then you'll need to take some drugs.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If you're not happy with your GP go see someone else. You're not locked into one diagnosis or doctor. It's your health... do what you have to do. With skin rashes there are many things it could be... medicine doesn't always work the way we wish it to... the doctor isn't always going to be able to say 'yep 1+ 1 = 2 and that means you have __insert sickness here___ with all certainty'... seriously.

If you don't do what your doctor says eg. use the ointments, follow the prescription etc. then what do you expect? So really you have to have some amount of trust in your doctor first... Out of curiosity what cream did he give you and what did he say he thinks it is? Your cream will be a base of something - a medium and an active ingredient. What is it and how often are you supposed to apply it?

5. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

Actually, so far i did what the guy said and it has only gotten worse. First i used Omeprazol. The reddening dissapeared, but it was replaced by skin rashes all over the place. Went back to the doctor, he literally said he did not have an idea what it could be.

Now i have a creme called ketonacazol. Pretty much the same result. The itching dissapears, but each time i wake up my hands and feet look worse.

Supposed (and currently am) applying it two times per day.

6. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

See a dermatologist. GPs often do a pretty terrible job at diagnosing skin conditions.

Do you know what they call herbs to work? Nothing. They're too busy prescribing pharmaceuticals to have read that academic literature.

7. slipthejab

Well this can happen. Doctors don't magically make your issues bend and sway to the timeline of your liking. Things take time and the doctor is not a magician. A doctor that specializes in skin conditions is called a dermatologist... and they see more cases such as that are far more experienced than your general GP will be. Might want to look one up pronto. Though you might need a recommendation from your GP... but perhaps not. Worth a try.

Huh. That's a strange one becuase Omeprazol is commonly used to treat to treat several conditions related to the esophagus, stomach, and intestines. I don't remember hearing of it used to treat foot fungus. :confused:

Do you now or have you ever had ulcers? Have you ever had infections of the throat or esophagus? Or have you ever dealt with any of the following:

gastroesophageal reflux disease

stomach acid test

gastric ulcer

uric acid

indigestion

reflux gastritis

Any of those and their treatments can have a very complex set of changes in the acid/alkali balance in your system which can set the scene for fungus infections... however they'd be more throat, esophagus, intestine oriented and probably not on your feet and hands.

There is some question of people who use Omeprazol ending up with fungal infections as a result of it's use. So that's something to ask about and read up on:

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/omeprazole/fungal+infection

This makes a bit more sense. You might want to really read up on it before you take it - but remember I'm not a doctor even though I play one on TV. So follow your doctors advice and get a second opinion as well:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682816.html

As for the whole herbs and alternative medicines... Now is really, really not the time to be experimenting with herbs. Seriously. Get a second opinion or a get to a dermatologist. While it's fine to read up on herbs and home remedies... you're playing a dangerous game if you start experimenting with them while your fungal infection is in full bloom. Don't be stupid.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  8. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

Nope, none of the above.

The ketonazol so far has the same affect as omeprazol. Rashes everywhere and no improvement. Maybe i will ask a reference to a dermatologist if this fails.

9. slipthejab

What country are you in?

10. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

I'm living in Holland.

11. righty

righty Valued Member

OK I am by no means a doctor and I am not trying to diagnose your conditions over the internet so keep all that in mind.

Has your doctor taken cultures?
    Is the rash that you get after administering the creme the same as the original symptoms of the fungus before starting to use the creme?

I would consider seeing another doctor. While I am not in Holland I have personally seen what level of microbiology is taught to modern day doctors in my area. And let's say I'm not very impressed.

I have also heard plenty stories of doctors prescribing incorrect medication. So you would do well to at least question your doctor on their choice of meds, especially as there are other creme options available with different active ingredients.

What also may be worth while is visiting your chemist/pharmicist/whatever they are called in your area and ask them what drugs are normally given to treat fungal skin infections. While they won't be able to give you the drugs, they should be able to tell you what is most commonly used and in a lot of cases will know more about what is available than the doctor. If you get a good and friendly chemist (or know one personally) you can even tell them what the doctor has given you and ask their opinion on the doctor's choice of meds.

Anyway, good luck.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  12. righty

righty Valued Member

In addition (although your doctor should have already told you this). Take care of your feet (and now hands). Keep them dry.

Avoid wearing closed in footwear as much as you can and avoid leaving them damp for any reason.

No clogs for you.

13. John R. Gambit

Agreed. That would be dumb. You would be wise to receive a competent diagnosis before deciding on any treatment regiment. Herbs often don't interfere with prescription drugs as greatly as other prescription drug-on-drug interactions do, but their effects are generally far too mild to address any fungal infection so acute it has manifested into painful open sores. They might supplement and speed your recovery process a tiny bit, but you need to verify with your doctor that any such regiment is safe and effective with any medicines you're presently taking.

One option you may consider is soaking your hands and feet in hydrogen peroxide diluted in distilled water. Hydrogen peroxide bubbles on open wounds as it oxidizes and kills pathogens (bacteria, viruses, fungus, etc.). This will dry out the wound and might be initially painful, but it will speed the apoptosis cycle (recycling of dead tissue). Because fungal infections are deep within the dermal layers though, and often under nail beds, you would need to painstakingly sluff off the dead surface layers of skin and repeatedly resoak your hands and feet over an extended period of time. Hydrogen peroxide works best topically, and wouldn't address any underlying systemic problems though. This would likely take months to treat the problem, assuming you're only dealing with a dermal fungal infection, which would be an unwise assumption without consulting an expert. It could be an effective supplement to an oral regiment of prescription medication to speed the healing process though. However, I would not recommend employing this strategy with topical prescription creams unless your doctor advises that it would not interfere. The longer topical creams stay on your skin, the more effective their medicinal effect, and hydrogen peroxide soaks would wash them off entirely.

So, see a dermatologist and get a proper diagnosis.

14. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

That's because any herbs that do work, eventually get their active agents extracted and turned into pharmaceuticals after the lengthy clinical trial process.

Unless you can show me a drug or herb working in an RCT, I'm going to be skeptical.

15. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

It got alot worse over the weekend. Will try to contact a dermatologist today.

16. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

Try smearing honey on it for a few hours every night. Works surprisingly well.

17. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

Geuss i can try that.

18. John R. Gambit

If you're capable of understanding the math behind the academic literature, you should be able to find to studies on your own. It's not that well-hidden. But this isn't a thread for that. Nor is this an appropriate community for it.

19. John R. Gambit

Manuka honey is used in hospitals in First World countries to treat staff infections that are antibiotic resistant. Honey can also be used to treat allergies if it's locally cultured. I've never heard of it used to treat fungal infections, but if it's an allergic reaction, it could be effective. This isn't some store-bought processed crap though, it's raw, unprocessed honey. It's far more solidified, and heating it to liquefy it ruins it's curative properties. (No time to explain the science behind this.)

You might also explore contacting a hollistic medical practitioner if the dermatologist isn't able to diagnose you quickly. A licensed holistic MD of some sort, who has graduated conventional medical school but also a holistic medical school. They are generally expensive, but many more medically intelligent countries (not the UK/US) are more open to their practices and in many cases cover them under social medical programs.

Gotta go, probably incoherent, no time to edit. :(

20. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

I am a beekeeper and often use honey to remedy things like this. Chances are if you buy 'local' honey from a roadside vendor or your local beekeeping organization it will do the trick. Most beeks dont' heat up the honey.

The stuff you buy at the grocer is probably not going to get it done. It has to be pure unprocessed honey. Manuka is great but any local honey should work.