Skin conditions

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BROWN, May 23, 2007.

1. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Anybody got any remedies for eczma, tend to get it as the weather cools down every year, drives me nuts. Even something to stop the itching would do.
    Thanks

2. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

If you dont mind me asking where do you suffer from eczema?

I get it quite badly behind my ears and occasionally on the scalp. There are different remedies for different places.

(for the scalp some remedies aren't good for your hair folacles for example)

PM me if you like

Thanks

C60

3. Effejy

Effejy Valued Member

Not that i endorse current affair programs, but on today tonight (i was eating dinner and refused to watch neighbors) theres a guy from Tasmania who has created a 'cure' for eczema after researching for years when his son developed the condition. He now has a business that ships internationally and a treatment recommended by doctors.

I'd say give today tonight an email, or do some research on the net. If i stumble across the guys name or details i'll post it for you considering your from Australia as well.

4. Bassmonkey

I have a weird liquid thing i put on the backs of my ears and a little on the scalp in the summer (all 2 days of it if were lucky here in england!) ill find out whats its called. It clears it up in like 4 days if used regularly.

Unfortunatly it can flare up due to illness, stress and/or change in humidity/weather conditions. (Again not helpful living in UK for that!)

Ill look tonight when i get home at whats its called. its percription only though (UK it is anyway)

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I had it very bad at one point. Palms of the hands and soles of the feet. I could only keep it under control with powerful steroids (topical).

In retrospect it was likely caused by stress. When I moved away from the annoying git that was causing the stress, the excema cleared up shortly after!

6. Bassmonkey

Ok i had a look and i use betnovate. Its a clear fluid that has a watery consistantcy unfortunatly it burns like absoulte hell!!!!!

Still it really does the job.

I have to get it on perscription though....although thinking about it i have never tried to get it at a pharmacy.

7. Chris from CT

Chris from CT Valued Member

One thing that you could use is "Shiunko Cream." This is a Japanese cream that has been used for quite some time for burns and other miscellaneous conditions. There have been studies done about the use of Shiunko cream in the treatment of atopic dermatitis/eczema

Higaki S, Kitagawa T, Morohashi M, Yamagishi T. Efficacy of Shiunko for the treatment of atopic dermatitis. J Int Med Res 1999;27:143–7.

Hope you find something that helps.

8. Methusela

Methusela New Member

Cream for Eczema

Hi Brown :)
    Yes there is something you could try it is called Allergenics it comes as a cream or ointment. You can purchase it at Holland & Barrett its £5 a tube it is good for soothing & healing wounds I use it all the time during flare ups. Its best applied underneath a moisterizer.

Good Luck

Methusela

9. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Thanks for all your replies, I do keep it pretty well under control with the topical creams mentioned by cosmic.

The stress thing seems to be pretty on the money aswell, life is a bit easier at the moment and things are better.

Mainly get the ezcma inner elbows, around the neck and shoulders.. sometimes on me eyelids and right on me forehead between the eyes.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I've never had it... but I do know someone who had a severe case of it on her hands and forearms. Gnarly to say the least. Once she changed here stressful situation the stuff pretty much went away. She went back to that sitch for a short time and sure enough it came right back. I think in the bigger picture you want to really analyze what brings stress to your life and work to change your situation. Easier said than done I know... but that in conjunction with some topical creams in the short term might be your best bet. :)

11. Dhalsim-on

Dhalsim-on Banned Banned

Honey. It won't cure it but it can reduce the discomfort. :cool:

Real solutions as mentioned above require lifestyle changes and perhaps even getting somewhere sunny over the darker months.

12. KungFuCandie

KungFuCandie Valued Member

Dandruff(Dermatitis?)

I have HORRIBLE dandruff and a scalp that itches nearly 24/7 most of the time. There are times in between where it's not that bad, but when the weather starts to cool down or heat up—especially during the coldest parts of winter and the hottest parts of summer—my scalp will itch itself to Hell! I've actually lost some sleeping over the itching!

1. Yes I've tried anti-dandruff shampoos. None of them work. I've tried just about all of them. (And what's more, my parents most-likely won't buy me any because we are flat broke right now and inches away from losing our home, sorry to say.)

2. I currently use witch hazel—(which works pretty well)—but I want something that will either cure the dandruff or at least make it go away for a long time and then if it shows signs of coming back, I can use that something again and have it go away for a certain period of time again. Somewhat like shaving.

3. I have VERY sensitive Irish skin. Maybe that's it? Maybe I should use some sort of 100% All-Natural Shampoo that has absolutely no chemicals in it?
    **http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R-wNnwMbJ8&feature=channel_page**

4. It's got to be cheap. Once again, lacking major moolah.

13. lieqi fan

lieqi fan Valued Member

It’s all about diet.

When dandruff is persistent, it is usually a sign of yeast-overgrowth elsewhere in the body, particularly the gastrointestinal tract. Avoid foods which encourage yeast growth such as sugar (usually the main culprit in someone of your age), alcohol, refined carbohydrates (like white rice and pasta), along with bread, dried fruit, stock cubes, alcohol, vinegar, soy sauce, peanuts and mushrooms. For at least a couple of months base your diet around meat, fish, fresh vegetables, beans, lentils and some whole grains such as brown rice and oats. Also, a supplement containing healthy-gut bacteria (known as 'probiotics') for 2-3 months will help to 'crowd out' yeast organisms.

Cut out the Candies :) that's better than cheap:hat:

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I have a mate who suffers from intermittent eczema, and she swears by rubbing udder cream (for cows) onto it. Might be worth a shot.

CHRIST! What's he going to eat?

15. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

You could also try Green Tea. It has been known to help with eczema. 1 cup 3-5 times a day.

Also it's been noted that some people that suffer from eczema respond well to licorice based creams. Use the topical cream as needed.

Don't know if you are still having an issue, but I thought I would chime in.