Skill acquisition/Skill application

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Smitfire, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Significantly, it is also in alignment with a lot of what I believe to be Hatsumi's business model and teaching method

2. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Can you elaborate please?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One of the best posts about it to be honest.

4. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Maybe sometimes

I think it's meant to be something like "Once you've gotten to grips with the basics, then here's something to think about". Of course nowadays people sit the test before that and the number of people who shine when taking the test is low

As usual in the buj it's wrapped up in a test of character (of the testee, their teacher and the person giving the test)....

5. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

I wonder who will get the 1000 th post! ( that wouldn't be sakki btw :D)

6. Hannibal

I have said it several times before, but I believe Hatsumi fleeces foreigners for as much money as he can and gives away ranks like sweets to those who's cheque clears. He also gives what he teaches just enough cocoa to make the cake taste of chocolate

I also believe he also has a small cadre of people who are - if not "close" to him exactly - study more direct and effacious teachings and get a direct transmission of the system

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  7. Dunc

I think it's a bit different

It seems to me that he transmits everything that you need. Although never exactly "on a plate" he & his top guys are very generous in the information that they put out there & pass on. However, and here's the rub, your development is up to you - It's sink or swim

Stories of the lion throwing their cubs into a deep valley, welcoming those who made it back, only raising the ones who were able to survive etc etc

8. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Bleh. That is putting an awfully rose colored view on it. The reality is there are legions of megadans who really suck. What they 'need' is a reality check and an understanding of solid basics. What they get is a megadan, and Hatsumi sensei gets a load of cash. Everyone wins.

If those people were 'thrown in a deep valley' most of them would not make it :)

9. Dunc

That's kinda the definition of sink or swim - no?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  10. Kave

Kave Lunatic

In every art skill development is up to the individual, some people will put in the effort and a lot of people wont. The problem is that in the Bujinkan you have people putting in many years of hard work, spending huge sums of money on instruction and grading as well as regular flights overseas to get to "the source". During the course of their training they are consistently given higher grades, with many of these grades being given by the head of the art himself. Still, after all this effort and money and recognition by Hatsumi himself, most couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

If someone came to the gym I train at and put in 5 years of hard effort, I would guarantee that at the end of the 5 years they would be a far more capable fighter than when they began training. People can put in 20 years of training in the Bujinkan and end up with a 15th Dan, an empty wallet and no usable skills.

11. Dunc

Well some people turn up to his class, ignore what he says you need to do to develop and as a result don't really develop much. They do progress a bit and gain some useable skills despite their lack of real commitment (I disagree with you here, everything is on a scale) and they leave happy with a "keep going" reward

The alternative (most arts) is pretty much the same, but without the keep on trying and leaving happy bit

12. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

If you knew Hatsumi sensei you would know that he cares not for money.
    He makes money through the BJK but he spends little or no money, he has no children so he doesn't need to leave an inheritance to family. I think most of it is going to charity or is given away.
    He lives a very modest life.

13. Hannibal

In a purpose built training hall in Japan where property values are high in the cities.....

Frankly I believe none of that

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Purple hair dye doesn't buy itself. :)

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sadly this is the bit I cannot replicate at the MAP Meet. :cry:

16. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

Its in a little village called Noda, where property prices are not so high and the dojo is rented, not property

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Says Noda is a city with a population of 155,644 on wiki?
    I think I live in a little village and wiki says its population was 1,212 in 2001.
    They must make little villages mighty big in Japan. :)

18. StooXex

StooXex Valued Member

Surely you can pick up a purple wig?

<runs and hides>

19. Dunc

It's more like a shed next to a railway line in a grotty part of an uninspiring town that smells of soy sauce and is 1+ hours travel away from Tokyo

20. Hannibal

Fair enough....somewhere i had it in my head it was a purpose built dojo

I will happily concede the point on that

But if money is not important, where does it all go? Because those grades ain't cheap are they?