Sizes of people at your club/ club statistics

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Gong_Sau_Rick, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Hey MAPers,

just curious about the distributions of the sizes of members of different MA clubs/gyms/dojos; and also perhaps fitness levels.

Does you club have a wide variety of differently sized people? or does it tend to attract lots of big people, or lots of smaller people?

Ok my club for example although we have no women we have heights ranging from around 5'4" to 6'6" with varying degrees of weights and fitness levels. People tend to be of average fitness, and our average size is pretty... well average (probably skewed towards, smaller than average and lighter than average).

2. the spirit

the spirit Banned Banned

at my dojo there are a lot of smaller guys

im one of the "bigger" guys there @ 190 lbs.

id say the average weight @ my dojo is 160 lbs.

3. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Big Steve, about 6 ft 6 and not rippling with muscle, but not fat.
    Simon, about 5 ft 11 and built like the side of a house lol
    they are one end
    then theres, a guy about 5ft 2 and even thinner and weaker than me lol

4. Gong_Sau_Rick

Yeah we have a massive guy but he's not completely tank. We have some guys who a very well built but nobody is like a Mr. Universe. We have a few skinny guys, but all up we're just a pack of average joes.

I love it since it gives me a wide variety of training partners and body types to deal with. You learn a lot.

The boxing gym that I have been dabbling in lately seems to have bigger than average sized people, who are already quite fit. I did meet one guy who was shorter than me, but he was more heavier than I was. But then again I tend to come in when all the hardcore fighters are training and not when the more average guys and girls are just boxing for fitness.

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

most of my classmates fall into the "average height" category, so somewhere between 5'9" and 6'. Weights hover between 165-200. Most of the guys are in decent shape. We have one or two who are tall and heavyweights, and then there's a couple of us who are either tall and lanky or short and lanky. But it's BJJ and at least in my area it tends to attract a lot of guys who are already fit.

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

At the pancrase club where I train they are all in pretty decent shape. Height ranges from about 5'10" up to 6'4", with one exception (~6'8"). I probably weight the least of all (~165lbs) and the heaviest is probably about ~200lbs.

7. hux

hux ya, whatever.

We get a lot of wrestlers. Big ones. Gorilla-looking dudes. Even the little ones are built like gorillas, so I'm at 205 and getting tossed around by 170 lb'ers.

It's humbling. lol

But most of our guys in the grppling class are 200+.

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hahaha... Hux that brought to mind the Bugs Bunny cartoon of the 'wrasslers'. :D

Since there are three different gyms that I get around to we have a massive range. The MT gym is primarily much lighter guys most of them in the 60-70kg category and most haven't made 6 feet. These are the guys that have no trouble getting fights because they are very much the average size and height for a Hong Kong male. There are a handful of guys my size in the MT gym... 6 foot plus (maybe a 6'2" average) and above 95-100kg So enough to keep me on my toes.... I'm on the upper end as I weigh in at 85=90kg depending and am 6'3".

At the BJJ gym we have all sizes... some total gorillas... example ex pro Rugby player who's 6'3" and 110kg. Just a monster. lol... always makes it a grind to even come close to getting a takedown let alone a submission. :D The instructor is a bit shorter but naturally a gorilla... no joke... he must have been born for grappling.

At the other gym where we do a bunch of conditioning and boxing... they've got a huge ex pro Rugby crowd so it's just rammed out with guys who are fit beyond reason and will just keep coming. Whoever says big dudes can't move fast obviously has no idea. These boys are all 110-120kg and most 6 foot plus.

The funny thing is they're a good lot and there's probably more of a sense of humor at that gym than anywhere else. Since they come from fiercely competitive backgrounds it's a great lot to be around... they work hard and play hard. No tough guy attitudes... in fact we haven't really got that in any of the gyms we train in.

Everyone is actually pretty given to joking rather than mad dogging and the like.
    All in all it's a very wide spread of sizes/weights in the gyms. It'd just be nice if there were more fellas in the 80kg categories that were competitive fighters.... it'd be a lot easier to get a fight.

9. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

At the Judo club theres a fair spread over the gus ranging from 56kg up to the top of the scale (Me) at 110kg though I would s guess the majority of the guys fall in the 70-80kg area. For the women it's aq much smaller variance of 60-65kg but there are only four trainnign at the club.

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

My gym has people of most sizes in it,including a 120kg mad dutchman,and a little fella that has to put the kids BOB down to the smallest size to hit it,i try to get them both to spar but for some reason the little guy wont have any of it! :)

11. Gong_Sau_Rick

I'm wondering if there is any correlation with the style or type of Martial Art and the size of people it attracts.

What do you guys think?

12. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

My Judo/JuJutsu school has about three people under 160 lbs. One is female. There's a few people over 200 lbs. Everyone else is in between. The adult class is pretty small.

My Tae Kwon Do school has a much more diverse range of heights and weights. The students range from about 5' tall to about 6' 2" tall. The really tall guy is 76 years old! He started training at around age 70. The class has about 15 students in it, roughly 50% are female.

13. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

At my TKD school we have quite a variety of people. There's one very good BB who weighs about 60 kgs, and I think the heaviest is about 100 kgs. My weight stays between 80 and 84 kgs (a little above 180 lbs) and I'm 6' 4"/1.94 tall. The women are mostly between 55 and 63 kgs.
    I'm only talking about the competition people here..

14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

my school used to have a lot more people, nowadays I am probably one of the heavier, which at 6'1" and 89kg isn't saying much - anyone heavier than me isn't due to muscle weight. used to be more of a balance of people, I remember some being 6'5" and 110kg (mostly muscle). I was probably more the average then the top end.

I think if you're practising, it's great to have a full range of people to practise with, including people at the top end of weight and fitness to be able to put your skills to best use, without this progression is not as good.

15. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

My TKD school has a mix of size, shape, fitness level, and gender. Out of all the students I spar with, on the tall side is our 18 year old 3rd Dan (6'2" and 145). He is rail thin but has a lot of power in those spider legs of his. Another 2nd Dan is 6' and weighs about 250lbs. He was out of TKD for 2 years and packs on hell of a punch and his turning back kick is quite quick. He is slow and not very fit so I just run around him. :D Our Master is 6'2" and weighs 225lbs. Not all that active physically but he is in decent shape.

Our ladies range in age from 15 to 41 years of age, and their height goes from 5'1" to over 6'. None of them have an reqular exercise except TKD.

I also attend a "gym" for weightlifting and fitness, though thankfully I will be moving to World's gym soon. The gym has all ages and fitness levels. From soccer moms to the powerlifters.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

We've just had a guy start at Thai that actually looks like Superman.
    6'5" or so...full-on body builder physique...not an ounce of fat.
    Lucky bugger.
    He's already a nightmare to hold pads for.
    Once he knows how to kick I doubt I'll be able to bear the brunt of a full roundhouse.

17. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

unfortunatly at my gym there are only two sizes.

real small (about 10 guys unders 150) and huge about 15 guys over (220)

one guy 6'6" 300 with a 700squat and a 400 bench so not fat. a 6'4" 240 guy and a bunch of guys over 6"2

ther is only one guy my hieght and he is 250 of muscle 400bench.

so unfortunatly im have to go with the big guys ...and im only 5 10 175

another unfortunate thing ...no leftys

18. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Don't be ashamed! That is my size too! Training with bigger folks is a ton of fun. Even if they try to use you as their kicking target, it is great when you can outlast and outwit them. Especially if you're older then they are. ;)

19. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Our advanced class consists of the average 5'11 guy at about 185-190 pounds. They're built like bricks.

We have about 3 guys who are freakishly tall and heavy and two guys and myself on the light end of the scale. In fact, the next tallest person to me (i'm the class shortie) is 5 inches taller. Sux to be me.

20. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

strangly the last injury i had was in bjj. after a roll i had tapped out the 6'6 guy and he wrenched my knee getting up (he rolled on it).

the big guys are fun, but punishing sometimes its hard to face them. not like im scared but a day or too off would be nice.

fortunatly we have one chick who is skilled but weak. i roll withher when im banged up.