size matters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mai tai, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

92 years old, actually.. and like I just said, it's very much the truth. He walked very well.. he moved better than a 'much younger person', including the boxer, since he couldn't even lay a hand on Uehara.

You guys are funny... if you really don't believe it's possible to be uber at an advanced age, why do you even bother training? That's what training is all about.. getting better as time goes on. Who wants to be a has-been when you can be 100 and still kicking people in the head?

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Zank, all through this post you have shown idealistic and fantastical attitude and have never once given a link, a credible source or anything to back up what you be sprouting. I recommend you drop it now before you join the Hall of Flame along with Korpy, MMM and Blooming Lotus

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Well, that's one of the problems, lol.

1. We assume everyone knows how to fight
    2. We assume everyone is of the same skill level in their respective arts.
    3. We have to assume, at least for a moment, that all arts are equal, which is bull.
    4. We have to assume that every single person has the same timing, speed, reflexes, co-ordination, etc, and therefore size (and in essence physical strenght) will be the utltimate deciding factor.

I don't agree with any of those assumptions.

1. Not everyone knows how to fight, but I'll accept this one, just for the sake of argument.
    2. Not everyone I encounter is going to be of the same skill level. I can do quite well against people with about as much experience or less because I can move and most of them can't. Put me up against someone with more experience, and it's not really their size I'm worried about, it's their ability to cut off my movement I need to address. I'm actually not afraid of bigger guys with so-so or equal experience as me.
    3. All arts are not created equal. Period. Neither are all training regiments.
    4. None of these facors will ever be exactly equal.

Isolating size is problematic, period. Of course it's a factor, and smaller fighters have to learn to compensate for it. But I don't think the assumption of "everyone is equal" sets up very fair parameters for an argument when there are a host of other factors to take into account!

4. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

Idealistic, maybe, but not fantastical. Everything I've said is perfectly possible. I fail to see how I'm flaming.

But sure, I'll let it go. Would you mind answering the question I asked, though? I'm rather curious.

"... if you really don't believe it's possible to be uber at an advanced age, why do you even bother training? That's what training is all about.. getting better as time goes on. Who wants to be a has-been when you can be 100 and still kicking people in the head?"

5. TheCount

You bother training for enjoyment, the achievement, the skills you pick up. Its as much psychological as physical. If you had any form of experience you would know that. What you are saying is too obviously stupid dude, if your gonna make up fairy tales at least make up good ones. The fact is that at the age of 100, if you even get there, you won't be super fit, you may not even have the muscularity left to lift your leg above your waist due to frailty.

6. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

I have enough experience to know what I'm talking about.

Actually, when I'm 100, assuming I get there.. I'm going to be beyond anything I can do now. Because I'm going to train all my life, like a traditional MAist. But like I siad, I'm letting this thread go, so I'm not going to argue the point.

7. TheCount

Thats only because you have learnt common sense. Now you see the point in stopping whining and listening to what others have to say. Why are you wasting all your time here if you wanna train all your life, go and train for goodness sake. You have 68 posts.... you've been here what a week and already your trying to be special... its not worth it

8. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

If size and related strength aren't important I take it that none of you have a strength training regime.

Ask yourself,

Would i rather be
    Stronger or weaker
    faster or slower
    more skilled or less skilled
    be able to take a punch, have a class jaw
    longer reach, smaller reach.

How many of those are related to size in some way. :confused:

9. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

Not trying to be anything, much less special.

And you might want to check that.. I've actually been here about a year and a half longer than you. I just rarely posted until recently. :p

What you're calling common sense is a western belief that old people are weak. The reason is becasue most people don't exercise when they're old. Simple enough.

10. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

why not 200years .....surely you will be better with an extra hundred years training under you belt.

11. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

and remember when you die you'll;
    "Become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

:D :D

12. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i agree this is not fantasy.....it can be done but first you must.

1. channel your chi
    2. find the anchent manuscript
    3. call everyone younger than you...grasshopper
    4. find the glow (last dragon)
    5. drink and drink copuous amounts of green tea, bear claw, tiger penis and rino horn.

13. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

mai tai: Becasue, contrary to popular belief, I am in fact being perfectly realistic. I probably won't make 200. They say with the advances in medicine, they expect some people in the next generation to get up around there, though. *shrug*

spooky: Heh, yeah. :)

14. TheCount

Actually I have been here a huge amoung longer than you may expect... I had a second account under which i was banned

ANd take a hint

15. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

I thought you would say something like that. Either way, the point as I've been here for a bit under two years, not a week.

What hint might that be? That no one but me apparently has the mindset of skill with age? It's obvious enough that no one believes it, however ridiculous.

16. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Just out of interest what is your range of experience in MA??

Any chance you could point us in the direction of some?

Cheers

17. TheCount

My mum works in a demetia centre for old people and has worked with the old aged for 5 years.... Believe me many people over 75 have enough difficulty getting in and ouit of a chair than you would expect. Some are still active up to 85, as was my grandad but in the end you cant perform any of the uberskills you claim they can

18. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

how old do you think you would make it.statisic say 78. but if you lead a clean life, and have great genetics you might make it to 100. but you will probabley die. from what? organ failure .....organs senece(that means get old and die).......what make you think that at the ripe age of 100....just before you are about to keel over.....you will be at you best.

btw i have a good friend who is 102 and he has trained everyday all his life. and he set the 100m dash world record for 100year olds. its like a MINUTE 30 seconds.

sorry guy but we grow old and die.

19. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

spooky: I have trained in kempo since I was in 9th grade, dabbled around randomly just out of books of kung fu and judo before seriously training, and I am currently sensei shodan..

I probably can't find a video for free, i.e. an online one. The one I most remember was a Japanese DVD my instructor had.

Count: Becasue they have atrophied.. I didn't say if you're old you're automatically uber. You have to train for years and maintain it to stay in health.

mai tai: Statistics are a generalization. You can't compare a heathy MAist to the overweight people who set the other end of the age-estimate curve. It's an average. Some people live to be naturally in their 50's, some live to be 120+.

20. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

guys..... is this thread toast?