size matters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mai tai, Sep 28, 2005.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

very true ...and unfortunatly the guys who start fights in the street tend to come from the upper weight classes

2. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

true..... but a great light heavy can beat a middle of the pack heavyweight.

1.if he is highly skilled
    2.he has a good game plan

jones v ruis

jumps in class are possible but the guy needs to have way more skill.

unfortunalty we alllhave to work with the hand god gave us. but we can do our best with what we can change.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Heh heh heh... very true! Then again, I hate seeing the "little guys" start trouble as they are often even more of a handful than the big guys!

It seems that we also get a lot of huge guys coming to class as well. Must be the smaller, trained guys are beating them up downtown and they feel the need for training! :D

4. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

I introduced ( read hassled ) my wifes cousin to start training with us. Figured he'd be a major challenge, and it'd be real good for my technique when he gains some skills.

He's about 6'7" and outweighs me by a good 50 pounds.
    and I aint small, Im 6'2" and about 220.

Sometimes it's just nice to be the wasp rather than the bear, you know?

5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Hmmm. . . . I'm small as hell compared to most people.

5'5" and 127 lbs (still trying to add some more muscle).

Seriously, it sucks. However one of my usual sparring partners is something like 6'3" and 200 or so lbs -- I'm very grateful to be able to train with someone bigger, since most of them are.

6. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Strike his knees, muscles and every weak point you can brutalise heheh.

7. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Maybe not always, but 9 times out of 10, yes. Why do you think the heavier guys tend to dominate the Open divisions?

8. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

This is an excellent idea, also Follow up with if it aint a weak spot now, hit it a few times..it soon will be.

9. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

The heavier guys dominate becasue people train within their division, and so try to go strength against strength. When it comes down to real skill, gentleness overcomes strength.

I'm 6'0" , 125 lbs.. for the record.

10. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Next time Im beating a dent out of a car panel I must remember this.

11. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Yes well i'm sure gentleness will help you win against Mike Tyson should you ever fight him mate

12. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

As said there are many physical factors which count but a good brain and the psychological factors take my game higher than just what my body can do.

There is that little switch and then its on. In sparring and training I am always careful and reserved but also I can use some of the mental aspect by way of agression, domance and also keeping calm and relaxed.

Just a matter of picking the right bits for the right situations.

But the original post of it being a race I agree with 100% fully - the guys I train with in 6 months time I know if there keen and committed run the very real right of getting be with a sub or giving me some good shots in sparring.

13. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

LOL... :D

14. Simple

Simple New Member

yo

it is true most of the time the bigger guy will always win, but im 5'6, i mean if i were to box someone bigger than me they will probiliy out-box me. So i dont box, unstead i move around, i let them come to me. lol i never attack, i attack while they are coming at me. I dont wrestle since its pointless for someone my size, but i do kno wrestlin moves, i kno how to get out of wrestling moves and im pretty sure if anyone to come try and pick me up ill shove my fingers in their eyes. Yea im a dirty fighter.

15. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

I'm talking Ueshiba style gentleness. Makes people go "wheee". ;)

Never said I was the master. Against an experienced person.. I would probably have to drill them once or twice, then take them down all gently once they were stunned.

Tyson's no problem.. I just need to remember my ear-muffs.. :p

16. urbnwarrior

urbnwarrior New Member

Seems you still think force of arms over strategy..... I'm sorry.

17. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Absolutely untrue....

Fencing
    Archery
    Kendo
    Dog Brothers
    Riflery
    Practical Pistol (IPSC/IDPA)
    Jogo de Pao

18. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Fencing is about the blade not the fists and feet and only a tap will win it, your ability to absorb punishment is obviouly not in question otherwise there will be deaths. Size would matter when skill and speed are even.

Archery not a combat sport that I know of

Kendo again blade based see Fencing

Dog Brothers not a sport?

Riflery see fencing rifle does the impact

Jogo de Pao - pass dont know what it is. When its 2 empty handed people fighting then weight, size and strength are important factors especially when skill and speed are equal.

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And therein lies the problem, why do people always assume everything else is equal when we all know damn well it isn't?!? (Not necessarily directed at you Sonshu, but you happened to be the most recent post to mention it)

20. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

If you look at previous heavy weight boxing champions, Henry Cooper weighed just 185lb!!! And many other heavy weight fighters weren't massively heavy when you consider they got to the top of their game. When you consider we're not fighting professional champions, mmmm I think I should lose some weight :eek: