size matters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mai tai, Sep 28, 2005.

1. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Couldn't him be lifted at all?

2. Shrfu_Eric

Shrfu_Eric New Member

I agree that in some cases that size does matter in sport fighting. However in street fighting, size doesn't matter. Knowledge/awareness/adaptabilty does.

We can argue till were blue in the face, but this is from my standpoint. I've seen alot and been involved enough through plain clothed security work and just situations outside the MA environment. If you posess the knowledge then you have the upper hand. It's just a matter of applying it.

Eric

3. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Well provided that you have the knowledge, would defending someone who is big would be easier than someone small, if they have the same skill/knowledge/whatever, right?

4. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

CHAN IS A STUNTMAN WHO KNOWS MARTIAL ARTS! He is not a competitive MAist in any way shape or form. He did not create his own MA like Bruce. However if you put Royce Gracie at a 165lbs in the same "cage" as Tyson, Gracie would win the fight. Why? Because Gracie knows a MA and has the skill to win. And to borrow a quote from old Bruce we are all human beings.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  5. RobA

RobA New Member

correct New guy he could not be lifted at all..
    I know sounds fantastic and I would agree if I
    hadnt seen it myself.

here is his website, it is a simple site.
    http://jokf-russellville.tripod.com/id13.html

I have an article on him from Action Magazine
    from 2000 I will scan it with my scanner and post
    a link later....

6. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Surely not moving at all is the lowest speed achievable? That's the opposite of what you were saying.

:confused:

7. medi

Tyson also knows a Martial Art.

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Thats because the force was directed more throughout your body. A car has a wide surface area, so it spreads the force along your body. A punch is smaller and concentrates the force

9. regs

regs New Member

In deffence of the poster that mentioned Uehara, I will post the link. I don't know if it has been posted yet, so if it has, sorry.Uehara

Also, from a source I think can be trusted:

USA Today article

Anyways, hope this helps. The USA Today story backs up the claim that he beat the boxer.

regan

10. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I saw the Gurgel/Kerr fight as slightly difference.

I read it as both were equal grapplers but with very different styles. The guard game was smashed with the headbutts and the strength and size for me was the difference. This is also why Igor has avoided being submitted so much.

He is not a great grappler but he is tough and one hell of a strong, short stocky guy. I have seen him power out of a BJJ fighters RNC just with strength - he pulled his arms apart then started to back headbutt him.

Hell in a fight I will use the hold and butt tactic as it was so SO effective against all.

Kerr vs Varlens was a display of Kerr using strength against a bigger person - however I would wager although Kerr being smaller he was certainly the stronger - that fight hurt!

11. medi

There's nothing about a headbutt that doesn't work, no matter what the environment.

12. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Only reason gracie would win would be because he would take tyson to the ground. Otherwise tyson would have him beaten half to death in about 20 seconds.

And yes, a huge muscley person is rather hard to shift especially when they weigh twice what you do.

13. jpsoulglo

jpsoulglo New Member

Size only matters in a ****ing contest guys, come on!

Agree that in fixed moves and planned activity if you have a 400lb mountain, who's waiting for you to grapple, it's gonna be an uphill struggle. But when it comes to pure fights (no expectation), it's the artist with the superior ability who will come off best.

I trained under a Kru who was 5ft 4, 8st. One day at training session, local idiots come down to try out, knocking seven bells out of each other (all skin heads..you get the idea) in sparring. Kru stops the class, gets another instructor (6ft 6, 15 stone) to hold hand pad for front kick. Kru kicks of lead leg (from standing) and sits instructor on his **** 10 feet further down the gym.

From that day on, i never under estimated the little guy (i'm 5.10 18stone).

14. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

you're 5ft 10" and 18 stone! :eek:

15. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Its not about underestimating, its about the FACT that in general the bigger you are the harder you can hit, the longer your reach and the more punishment you can take.

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Size does matter; granted it's not the be all and end all of a fight, but it does give you an advantage over your opponent.

I've improved a great deal since putting on more weight.

17. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

In genernal the big guys would say 'size is everything!' to affect the heart of a little guy; while little guys says 'do not underestimate my power!' to affect the heart of a big guy.

18. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Size does matter and the closer the skill set the more inportant it becomes. Assuming two no skill drunk idiots the odds are with the bigger guy most likely.

Its why all competative sports have weight divisions.

19. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

What makes your arm move?

Answer: Muscles.

What do you need more of to make your arm move faster?

Answer: Muscle mass.

What happens when you get more muscle mass?

Answer: You hit faster and you get bigger.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  20. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Can't remember anyone on this long thread saying that?

I can't believe the amount of peole that say size doesn't matter, no one is trying to say size is everything. Its not, but its something.