Situation.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bodyshot, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The only moral lesson here is the one about breaking the trust of the instructor by going into the gym when given a key and potentially causing him social and business trouble.
    A worthy lesson no doubt.
    Smoking a bit of mary jane is not a moral lesson that needs learning because the prohibition on smoking it isn't a moral one. It is a legal one.
    The teens having sex were making the best of a bad situation because their parents forbid them from doing the very thing teenagers are most drawn to be doing.

2. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Absolutely this. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Baza

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm with holyheadjch on this one.
    I never got why martial artist should have higher morals than someone who plays basketball or does ballet or something.

And the other point: With two of the kids crying over the situation I do think, that they probably are sorry and therefore do care.
    Sure, they could be crying about the humiliation as well, but I kind of doubt that's the case.

The made a mistake and I think by now they probably have realized, that they just screwed up big time.

I would like to, if one or more of them come back after those three months!

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

At the end of the day these people disrespected his gym, disrespected him, broke his trust, broke the law, and potentially damaged his schools reputation and business by their actions.

And he's the bad guy for making an example out of them, and hammering home that it is not acceptable behaviour, in front of the rest of his students?

It doesn't matter how small an incident you may feel it is. It is a big deal. Even more so if it's a traditional style school because they are built upon specific principles students are expected to follow and standards that the general public expect it to live up to.

Don't have grievance with the instructor for caring enough about his schools reputation that he'll make an example out of those who damaged it. Have a grievance with those that put him in the situation that he felt he had to take such action in the first place.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Moral lessons of which martial art? Bit of a generalisation if such moral lessons even exist.

I do capoeira...it's from Brazil you know. Never heard of a Brazilian mestre that doesn't/hasn't smoked pot and doesn't like a bit of the old in out in out.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, the issue isn't the pot smoking so much as the putting the business in a bad place by doing something illegal on the premises.

I have issue with both the instructor and the students at this point. I don't agree with a public shaming ceremony and I don't agree with taking a vote to let them back in. Way to avoid a decision. It is the owner that was treated badly with a breach in trust, it is up to him to decide to let them back or not.
    And after thinking about it, I still am of the opinion he has a bit of responsibility for giving teens the keys to his business.

I also don't think once you have demonstrated a certain skill level (rank) that you can pretend they suddenly don't have that skill by demoting them.

Like I said before. even in a workplace, a certain bit of privacy is the norm when it comes to disciplinary action.

Ban them temporarily or permanently, take away teaching credentials, have them apologize privately to the instructor, who was the one wronged. have them get the lecture about drugs if you must, know they will have some shame coming back because people know,. make them clean the school or do some sort of community service to give back to the school. Lots of things can be done without the drama ceremony.

7. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Just wanted to say thank you for all the posts on this topic its been a little crazy for me to digest all this stuff. I guess one thing Ive learned is that there are certainly some mixed opnions on this mmatter here at MAP so my guess is that the same holds true at the gym as well. Ive tried to keep my own opnion of this matter to myself at the gym, although I have expressed a few opnions here on MAP.
    It looks like I need to clear up the whole beating comment as it seems to have caused some real disturbance here on the thread. A couple of the parents involved had expressed the fact that they were very angry, in fact one father didnt go home that day because he was afraid of what he might do if he did.
    My instructor would never harm any of us, or anyone else for that matter.
    I guess I look at this situation and I can clearly and firmly say that there isnt a kid anywhere near the town I live that will ever have the nerve to bring drugs into or around Jeffs Karate school. I believe he did what was not only in his own best intrest but it the best intrest of the youngsters that attend his school.
    The fact that hes going to allow the school to vote them back in is a testament to his mercy in my opnion. Guess we will see what happens 12 weeks from now.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Christ man, where ever you live I want no part in it. People take being young way too seriously there.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Nothing wrong with Stepford :)

10. philosoraptor

I watched this, The Omen, Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist recently and man, how is it that the 70s were just so damn amazing for the horror genre? Not to mention Dawn of the Dead and Alien, with the Shining and Night of the Living Dead bookending the decade.

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Safer to remake a classic. An original idea is a dangerous thing :)

12. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Ya know honestly raptor thers alot of kids 10-16 in that gym that really looked up to those youngsters that were smokeing pot, Im pretty sure that my instructor wasnt just protecting himself and punishing kids Im pretty sure he was trying to protect familys and their children from being exposed to drugs by people they were supposed to trust broski.

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Ah, gotcha. Apologies for the confusion.

Ultimately I think he basically did the right thing, I just think that with one or two of those bits he might've gone a touch too far. Can't blame him for protecting his business and reputation though.

14. philosoraptor

I mean, honestly, do you think the reprisal would be as bad if they had been caught with alcohol or cigarettes? Fact is, pot is used widely in this generation and pretty much every kid is going to be exposed to it one way or another.

15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

They're lucky it was just weed. Anything more and they'd be in a pillory.

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

And that suddenly makes everything alright does it?

I love how you guys are throwing the instructor to the wolves like he is the one who did something wrong.

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Because as far as I'm concerned he did. Punishing them is fine, they were in the wrong, but the way he did it was over the top and isn't an attitude I'd stand for for a second from an instructor. Two wrongs etc.

18. philosoraptor

I just think it puts things in perspective. Claiming 'think of the children!' when these same kids have likely grown up in a culture that is largely permissive of marijuana seems to be inciting panic for no reason. The teens did not give marijuana to the young children, they smoked it themselves, they shouldn't bear responsibility for exposing kids to it when they really didn't. Banning them from the gym for a few months sends the message. Public beration is just ridiculous.

Yes, exactly. I came into the thread saying that I would kick them out of the club, or at least temporarily ban them. His punishment seems overly harsh and he seems full of himself.

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He did. Public humiliation has no place in a classroom of any sort.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Wasn't public beration...that was essentially public humiliation. Ripping up the certs and throwing the belts in the corner and all that.