Situation.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bodyshot, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Zero tolerance. I'd have kicked the lot of them out.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Fixed that for you ;)

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That's the well tried & tested method that's done so well in the US & the UK

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Shakespeare is over rated...do video games and comics. Oh and hard labour.

Worked for me and look how I turned out!

:banana::hammer::happy:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think that, as a dude who has a bunch of people practicing martial arts with him, I'd be inclined to give it a pass.

As a business owner whose livelihood might be threatened if it became known that I was 'letting teenagers smoke pot at my place of business' I'd clamp down on it as hard as possible and ban the lot of them.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's just another good reason to train outside :)

Also, aren't there some circumstances whereby the owner of a property can be prosecuted for others doing illegal things in it?

I've certainly seen rental agreements that prohibit illicit activities in a property.

7. philosoraptor

Or, at the least, smoke there.

Yeah, absolutely, never mind what happens to attendance in your kid's class when the parents learn that you were actively buying the kids marijuana and hosting pot parties (these things tend to get exaggerated as they're passed down the grape vine).

8. Moi

If something has to be done then bring in a drugs councillor to speak to the whole class (with parental consent) as removing these kids from the small bit of society that they know only seeks to reinforce their waywardness. Having a responsible position in something they respect might be a much bigger deal than people realise. What ever happened to second chances?

9. philosoraptor

I think this exaggerates the plight of the poor pot smoke a bit - seems to me they were just teenagers cutting up without any awareness of the potential consequences to themselves or the owner of the gym. I actually think what they did was relatively minor, it's just that law and social judgments can really slam down on the gym owner. Maybe in four months or so invite them back to train, if they can behave themselves.

10. philosoraptor

Well, might as well set them an impossible labor. :]

I kind of hope that when I have teenagers I realize that they're going to be sexual beings who make decisions I don't necessarily always agree with but likewise won't get into an arm wrestling match with them over.

11. Moi

They have home life, school & the gym. Booting someone out at that age is probably permanent as the chances of retaining them at that age is hard enough
    The gym owner is covered as long as he does something as soon as he knows (I think?)
    I'd think these kids are at a life changer right now. They've got choices to make and a very good part of their life has vanished
    (I'm assuming they're keen BTW, like a mapper?)

12. Moi

That was a large amount of weed :)
    Hope it works out for them :)

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

It just would have been nice, if they have had enough respect for their instructor as well, not to do that **** in his gym.

But I actually agree here mainly.
    Though I have to say: Imagining I'd have a school, which brings the money I live from - I'm not sure what I would do, but whatever it would be, kids would see it as severe, because they might have risked my livelihood (as in: parents not sending their kids to me anymore).

Well, in the end I'm glad I'm not in that position.

14. Moi

The backlash if circumstances were only slightly different could of been horrendous but that's thinking like an adult and these are kids. They'll get there eventually, given a little slack :)

15. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Thanks for all the posts. Im pretty sure the whole thing is handled at this point. All the kids lost belt rank and belt certification, they are banned for three months and cant come back without passing a board of their peers and submitting a 2000 word report on the harmful side effects of marajuana, it goes without saying none of them have a key anymore.

On a personal note I think all of this is kinda sad, I doubt any of them actually come back and from what I know understand one of the boys is being sent to live with some realitives and since hes 18 Im pretty sure he wont ever be going home again. All that said I do realize that what happened wasnt as cute as they thought it was. Hopefully this is a learning experience and an eye opener, hopefully it dosent go any further.
    Again thanks for the feed back, its been good to put my finger on the pulse of the MA comunity about this, its given me some perspective on just how serious a martial arts gym is. Its not a juvi hall club, I wish they would understand that too.

16. philosoraptor

This is some pretty heavy stuff for what was happening - I don't really think that the teenagers did anything wrong besides being teenagers. It strikes me that, these days, smoking pot is kind of on the same level as underage drinking in the united states. Pretty much everyone I know partook at one time or another. Teen sex has been a staple of being a teenager since teenagers were teenagers.

My ideal version of what happened - gym owner contacts parents about the rules and sends out a newsletter reading "Due to recent events students will not have unsupervised access to gym facilities". Parents realize that teenagers acted like teenagers, so they punish them like teenagers; chores, chores and more chores.

Permanently altering a kid's life, or the relationships that they judge to be important, because they got caught out with pot or canoodling seem cruel and excessive.

17. bodyshot

Ya know its like everything else they were good for at the gym has just vanished and all we see them as are pot head sex maniacs, I mean frankly im shocked and kinda sick by the whole ordeal bro...

18. bodyshot

On a off note, I have some training log issues, who do I contact and how do I contact them to correct this issue.

19. philosoraptor

I guess I'm at a fairly pot friendly/sex friendly state, but if a dude was caught smoking pot at my gym we'd be laughing our butts off at what an idiot the guy was.

I want to make it clear that my stance for having the gym owner come down on these kids is not because I think the kids did anything wrong, but because I think there is such an enormous social prejudice against marijuana usage and small business owners need to guard themselves appropriately.

Nevermind the sex.

20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

They put the entire business/ club at risk.

And they broke the trust of the instructor who trusted them with responsibility (i.e. keys). That to me, is the issue more than specifically what they did. Bad way to show respect for your instructor.

If you want to smoke, that is one thing, but to smoke in your instructors establishment is so very disrespectful.