Situation.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bodyshot, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

I would take their privileges away(key to gym). I wouldn't have given kids a key in the first place. Taking a belt away is just fake as.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Fair point. Leaving keys to a business to teenagers was not the wisest choice to begin with.

Fake as ? Fake as what?

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Sounds like Lloyd Irvin's gym.

Too soon?

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

To me it seems just as fake as giving them to someone who doesn't deserve it. Perhaps its because the only belt system I've really taken part in is bjj, but to me a belt is all about skill level. If he's a BB then he's a BB. Definitely know if I was stripped of it for whatever reason I'd simply walk out and take it somewhere else. Although come to think of it, I don't think you can strip rank in bjj with how focused it is on competing. Regardless, his belt is presumably tied to his progress in class and his proficiency at the style, not his behaviour outside it. Its like stripping someone's belt because you found out they got arrested..

I get that he's an assistant instructor and there's the responsibility issue, but that's solved by stopping him being an instructor for X amount of time, not by busting his rank. Although I also have to ask what him abusing his use of keys to the gym has to do with his ability to teach. If he's a good instructor and there's not many assistants then its potentially doing over the rest of the club to punish him for something that, really, doesn't have much to do with the rest of the club.

Its an abuse of privileges and, if you want to give any form of spirituality for want of a better word to the place, its disrespect of the gym, but I still see that as a problem between him and the instructor. He hasn't actually done anything to the club per se.

5. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Fake as it gets...? Just fake as :) bb smokes weed- gets caught- all of a sudden brown belt.
    If I were that kid I'd leave the gym and go train at a real gym. Maybe with nick diaz :)
    Keep the drugs off premises tho eh.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not in that school he ain't. :)
    If I taught and someone did something I thought warranted it I'd "remove" any rank I gave them. They'd obviously be welcome to go elsewhere and use the skills they acquired to get that rank to "be" that rank in some other school but they wouldn't be that rank in my school.
    As mentioned rank is recognition of a skill level. I would remove that recognition.

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

If word gets around town about this, how many parents will either withdraw their business, or decide not to send their kids there in the future?

If it were a purely adult gym, maybe only one or two people would stop training there, if any at all.

When parents are holding the purse strings for their kids training? These dumb kids could cost the instructor big time.

...of course, with it being America he could probably sue the miscreants' parents for loss of earnings and emotional damage or something...

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If tell their parents right in front of the kids. Worst punishment.
    "Your kids have broken my trust by abusing their privilege of having unlimited gym use".

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Sounds like kids being kids.

10. David Harrison

Stupid kids though. That should be punished, surely?

Spartan rules. The crime is being caught.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Did they at least wipe down the mats?

Bad enough of risking athletes foot, ringworm etc then to have a "certain rash" on my face.

Personally, eviction for the drug use. Because stuff like that can close down shop. They could have left a bit behind, found by a parent, who tells other parents...and that hurts your rep.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I suppose having sex in a martial arts gym means you don't have to worry about falling off the bed/wardrobe/sex swing/grave stone at midnight/altar/horse*.
    You can just roll all over the place.

*Delete as applicable to your particular proclivities.

13. Southpaw535

Those parents would do that anyway. If your fear is sending your child somewhere where there's a pot smoking fornicator then, blackbelt or whitebelt, he's still there.

14. holyheadjch

Sure, but it's not the crime of the century. The instructor should have known better than allowing young people access to his space unsupervised. Most foreseeable scandal ever.

15. Southpaw535

That's what I would be more focused on. Since there's grappling at my place, I would have banned the sex dude and bollocked the weed smokers. But the sex dude gets to stay and the weed people get booted. Its a weird choice.

Credit to them though. After a while I can't get the faint smell of sweat out of my jockstrap but they managed to hide the smell of weed. If they were doing ninjutsu that should be a promotion.

16. David Harrison

Hmmm... maybe.

Or maybe he took a chance and thought they might live up to the responsibility?

I would have found a sex swing/grave stone at midnight/altar/horse to get high and fornicate on.

17. holyheadjch

If I'd had somewhere warm, private and padded to have sex in:Aegis: when I was a teenager, I'd have moved in.

18. David Harrison

Not the grave stone at midnight type, huh?

I guess vanilla is nice sometimes :D

The guerrilla nature of clandestine acivities when I was a teenager made it all the more fun.

19. holyheadjch

Best accidental emoticon ever.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

While reading that story I was waiting for the bit where the serial killer/monster/psycho turned up and murdered everyone before being killed by the good girl.
    Teenage kids as night...clandestine sex and pot smoking...venue with a variety of weapons on the wall...felt sure a Jason Voorhees was gonna turn up.