Situation.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bodyshot, Jan 5, 2015.

1. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

So I just received a facebook message from my Instructor telling me that some boys and a girls were caught at our club smokeing pot. The boys had a key to the gym because they have known the instructor for several years and were allowed access to the gym for workout purposes.
    Aparently theres going to be a serious smoke session as a result of all this. My question is what would you do?

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

It depends. Did they bring enough for the rest of your club?

Nah, seriously - maybe take the key back, make them clean the mats, sweep the floors, etc. for a month? Maybe some extra burpees, laps, etc. too

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Take away the keys to the gum for sure. Tell the parents. Don't give them any responsibilities in the school as they have proven they don't deserve trust given to them.

What else can one do? He isn't going to kick them out of his classes, right? So, he really is in a limited position to do something. It is the job of the parents to do more if they want to.

He isn't going to be able to do anything to get them to stop. Just make sure they understand that doing drugs in the school/ club again would be grounds to kick them out.

My school has a code of behavior posted. Being under the influence at the school is strictly forbidden. There isn't really a place or opportunity to do something like this. but I think our Sifu would kick them out of the school. He couldn't risk other parents not thinking it was a safe place for their kids. Having people doing drugs at the school could hurt his business with other parents. This is a guess, though. I don't know that for a fact.

So, a stern lecture about them risking his business, club, at the very least is in order. What risk it puts his club at would be what he needs to look at with regards to kicking them out outright.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Phrasing...

Seriously though just take away the key and explain what they did wrong. You're not going to be able to do much more and kicking them out doesn't help them learn.

The other thing I might do is also explain to them that smoking anything kills your cardio and then put them through cardio hell :evil:

5. bodyshot

Well thanks for the response guys. It looks like theres going to be a ban in place for two of the boys and there were three total, the other one is going to lose rank and privledges (ouch). And one of the girls is saying that she and her boyfriend were haveing sex in the club for several months now...oops.
    Jeff my instructor is always pretty calm but I think hes going to lose it on one of thes boys lols. Their parents have been informed.
    Wow, see this is the kind of stuff that creates issues.

6. aaradia

How does one lose a rank? It isn't the military. Either you earned the skill or you didn't. Privileges I get, banning I get, losing rank I don't.

Are the bans permanent?

Oh, and that girl isn't very smart.

7. bodyshot

I guess the third boy involved wasnt smokeing pot but was there with them, all three boys and one of the girls were members of the club. So I guess Jeff caught them, and seperated them and questioned them. The girl who wasnt a club member spilled her guts completely lols and admitted that her boyfriend had been takeing her there for months now to have sex.
    Can you believe she just spilled the beans.
    The two boys are banned for life, apparently there is a zero tolerance rule (its in the contract).
    the boy who was just along for the ride was a BB and the one with the key, hes busted down to orange belt and has to repeat the whole show all the way back up to his belt...ouch:eek:

8. aaradia

Yeah, ok. Like my school. Doing illegal activities puts the school club at risk. A business can get sued or otherwise put out of business if illegal activities are going on.

I still don't get the busting rank thing though. He hasn't unlearned the skills that earned him the rank. He had the key. IMO he should be banned too.

9. bodyshot

I guess he wasnt the only one with a key, he had a key. Two boys each had a key. My guess is that all these kids hang out and go to school together. Im kinda shocked that this happened, I never knew these kids were smokeing pot, I feel kinda dumb now lols. I totally agree, you gotta nip this in the bud and let the community know you DO NOT APPROVE.
    As for the rank thing I think Jeff is so mad that it was the most drastic thing he could do at the time. He even said hes going to Amend the kids certifications and leave a full report in his file and that it isnt very likely that he will ever see third dan which is our highst rank. If I were that kid Id never go back lols, Id be doing TKD (just a few blocks away lols.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, but rank is about more than just skill. It's about recognition. I've had rank taken from me, many years ago. It didn't change what I knew, but it changed how I was viewed. And, to a 16-year-old kid, that was more than enough.

11. bodyshot

Apparently theres been alot of tears over this, I wasnt there but Im haveing a lengthy conversation with Jeff my Instructor. Ap you nailed it, the kid loseing rank was a BB and that means assistant instructor at our school. Hes going to have to earn that trust again, if he can.
    Its funny but I didnt see it comeing, these were the cool Kids lols, I liked training with all of them. There are several kids at the club but alot of them are goons and rejects, its strange how things work out.

12. aaradia

Oh, well there is NO way he should be teaching in any way!

13. bodyshot

I cant wait till thursday, what should I say when I walk in? People are going to talk?

14. bodyshot

I dont know what people are thinking. A few weeks ago they had to ask a guy to leave because he smelled like beer. Two of the adults had an affair earlier in the year and they still come to class, its kinda weird honestly. And there was guy there that just recently quit comeing that was a known steroid user.
    My Instructor is so straight laced its not fair to him. I told him he is a freak magnet.

15. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

So the person who smoked weed was a black belt and his punishment was going down a belt to brown or whatever? Is that what ur saying?
    If so, that's sounds so stupid.

16. bodyshot

No.

There were three boys and two girls, four of the kids go to the school, one of the girls is the girl friend of one of the boys.

Two boys and one girl were smokeing pot, the boys were blue belt and purple belt, the girl was a brown belt, all three of them are banned.
    One of the boys was a BB and he wasnt smokeing pot, nor was his girl friend. He lost almost all of his rank. And his girl friend admitted to that he had brought her there several times and had sex with her. Its kinda crazy.

17. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

A lifetime ban seems a little harsh for this situation.
    I agree they made a huge mistake, but is there really no way to salvage these kids?

18. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Woah that sounds even more silly lol no offence man.
    I don't know what u mean by 'rank' . Nothing to do with belts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  19. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

So then, what would you purpose? What disciplinary action would you take if any?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  20. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I would hate for my black belt to be taken away. It doesn't necessarily change the knowledge I learned but if I had to retest for my black belt, I'd know that it would be 10x harder for my test and they'd be looking for an excuse to fail me. I understand that the knowledge isn't able to be taken away, and that's one of the few things in the world that can't be taken from you, besides special circumstances but still. Also that its only to hold your pants up but still. If this guy's black belt testing was tough as nails it'd be a severe blow to his psyche if he had to do it again. Especially knowing what he would go through and who would be there. I'm 18 years old, close enough to understand what kind of a blow that would be to his mentality.

On another note, one of my students came in high a couple times cause he smoked a bunch of weed at school. I caught him once, couldn't prove it though, eyes were bloodshot but he always seems kind of doozy so I couldn't really pursue it. My instructor wasn't in at the time, he was at a meeting or seminar in New York at the time. Couldn't call him cause different timezones, +3 hours, and I don't really have him on speed dial either. He's usually the one who can pull that kind of information out of a person because of that fatherly tone of disappointment he gets when this stuff happens. Just asked my instructor to keep an eye on the student because of my suspicion. My instructor catches him when my instructor comes back the next week and sits down in his office with him and the parents. Never came back. My instructor doesn't really ban people, only one person I know has ever been kicked out, wasn't stripped of rank, instructor doesn't really like to do that either, but the student was told to not come back ever again. It was a black belt, really top notch fighter, not scared of anybody, willing to go toe to toe with my instructor and the other sifus during sparring. It's almost as if (joking, its just that almost all the sifus have one) you need to have an NBL title to be a sifu at my school or something. So this guy was good. Became a total pothead and was living with a friend who works at the karate school. He threatened the family to the point where the police were involved, the family can take care of themselves but they also have a young daughter who they were worried about. My instructor got involved because he was one of the few people who could be a voice of reason to this guy and I guess short and to the point he talked the former student down and ended with, "... Don't ever come back until you're sober."

In terms of a proper punishment that could work in the martial arts setting, not being fun to the receiver but still learning a valuable lesson could be the monkey line, or bull in the ring. Basically a bunch of people are in a circle around the one receiving punishment, and then they are each assigned a number. The instructor calls a number, that person goes in, spars with the person in the middle, (lets call them Rob to make it easier to visualize.) So Rob is staying in the middle. The instructor calls out, "1", and number one will go in to spar Rob. Then the instructor will call in "5" and the person assigned as number five will go in. This can go on and on. Random numbers, tires out the students. We do this for black belt testing but we decide our order. Putting speedy irritatingly fast fighters in first, then the heavy hitters when the tester can't really defend anymore because he/she is too tired. And this after a bunch of other stuff but that's not able to be disclosed. (We keep our testing private)