sitting cross legged.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zibafu, Oct 18, 2013.

1. zibafu

zibafu Valued Member

I used to be able to do this without an issue when I was a child, but now, its so damn uncomfortable to do.

Are there any specific stretches that help with this.

I can cross my legs, but not pull them in tight. And also, bending forwards whilst sat like this is almost impossible for me to do, really frustrating, since in my classes, sitting like this whilst the sifu is talking is how we do things, so everyone else will be sat mega comfy and I sit there all fidgety :p

then on monday we did some meditation/qigong style exercises involving sitting and bending forwards like this, which I really struggled with :(

also, it hurts the outside edge of my feet sometimes when I sit like this

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

How old are you?
    I know that as I've moved into my early 40's my flexibility has gone downhill.
    It could just be you are in the same boat as me. :(

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I would consider myself pretty mobile but there is no way in hell I can even consider sitting cross leg, I'm only 21.

4. zibafu

zibafu Valued Member

haha I am only 26 man

I believe I am capable, there's no reason for me not to be that I can tell, just haven't done it since I was a kid so I know its something that needs training, thing is, if someone stands behind me they can push me down and it doesn't feel uncomfortable, just when I try I cant do that bend :eek:

yet if I stand up straight, feet together I can pretty much get my chest to my knees with both legs straight no problem !

5. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It's your lower back, glutes, hamstrings, and all the other muscles involved with with being able to do a deep squat without falling over. Also your loins if when you sit cross legged they're at a 30 degree angle.

It's funny to read this because I'm getting back into working on mobility stuff myself and am making it a point to sit cross legged or in a butterfly stretch while using the computer(full stop) :p

Working on your deep squat and using it as a stretch (squat and hold, heels should stay on ground), hamstring and glut stretches, and sitting cross-legged against a wall will help out.

If you have to sit cross legged for some sort of meeting/event I find sitting cross legged but siting on one foot by tucking one of them under my butt helps out but it'll make that foot numb and fall asleep. I know a "forced to sit cross legged" situation sounds funny, but thats what I had to do in USMC bootcamp. Sitting cross legged in boots and tough pants really sucks :p

6. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

butterfly stretch, straddle stretches/splits and calf stretches/exercises.

and also, walk barefoot, forwards, backwards and sideways. stretch your toes, make them separate then dig into the ground.