Singlestick Fighting

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Anarch, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Is the singlestick you describe different to the naval singlestick taught until the early 20th century to develop cutlass skills?

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

It's an earlier version of that but very similar.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Just spent the day in the royal armories library reading about European single stick and I totally agree with bear.

Will post details later in the day when I'm free (not eating fish and chips)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Is single stick the thing they did where you had to draw an inch of blood and hold a hanky looped under your crotch?

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

There are various rule sets. It was a very popular sport at country fairs right across Europe. So you find a wide range of rules.

The Bear.

6. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

So does anyone know of specific styles? Most of everything I've come across does seem to mimic the basket-hilted sword, as Bear said, and seems to be more sport/entertainment. Does anyone know of any other singlestick styles that may be more useful for SD or a little more practical?

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

HEMA or otherwise?

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

You would be far better going for a full sword style. What general location are you?

The Bear.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

im interested in something with weapons mr. bear!
    HEMA or otherwise
    but im only free during the day of weekends.

im in Stirling!

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The nearest clubs to you are:

Dawn Duellists - Edinburgh
    Black Boar - Edinburgh
    MacDonald Academy - Edinburgh
    Academy of Historic Arts - Glasgow

Don't know what time they run classes.

and

Glasgow Company of Duellists - My group. (we're on Sundays 2-4)

The Bear.

11. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Ah, I was slightly confused by the OP's statement "singlestick fighting, which is apparently very similar to fencing". My understanding was that single stick referred to practice for fencing itself, rather than a sport that was 'similar to fencing'.

I can see that single stick as practised at country fairs etc. would be to actual sword use what kendo is to kenjutsu hence, as you say, probably not the most practical thing for self-defence.

Perhaps it would be worth looking at le canne? It was originally designed for self-defence rather than sport and is I think partly based on European sword systems. So that might go some way to a) being practical and b) based on sword work.

Mike

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Kali/escrima/arnis will be a lot closer to what the OP wants - LE Canne is hard to come by

13. komuso

komuso Valued Member

"Le Canne is hard to come by"

... unless you marry a french lady like I have. Then it is really just a case of being yourself and waiting :)

paul

14. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

From what I have seen of Le Canne (I caught a little in Italy), it has become very sportified and not very useful for self defence. if you can find some of the older versions then it will be taught differently.

15. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I've never experienced it at first hand, but from what little I've seen on tv/video/youtube I'd have to agree. I mention it primarily because the OP expressed interest in sword inspired systems.

I'd echo Hannibal's comment that Escrima is probably a better starting point, both in terms of practicality and availability.

Mike