Single Whip

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by tonglonglengjai, Aug 9, 2010.

1. tonglonglengjai

tonglonglengjai Valued Member

So I have been thinking why is the posture called single whip?

I have my thougths but what does everyone think.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Actually one of my old stablemates determined some years ago that there was a mis-translation due to dialectal differences among Chinese speakers in the old country.

The actual translation is "Single Wimp", as expressed in the bent wrist of the beak hand.

Always glad to be of service in these historical matters.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

4. whoflungdat

whoflungdat Valued Member

The whip comes from the right hand, just before the turn. It strikes down across the vagus nerve then the knuckes of the first and second finger strike into stomach 9.
    Hope this helps :)

5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

"Does" it? Or "can" it? :confused:

I don't think the posture is named after a single possible application.

6. whoflungdat

Good point, no posture has one application, however the important point it the movement of the right hand which is the whip, not the left or the posture its self.
    The easiest way to teach this is by giving an application. hope that's a bit clearer. regards :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

You can do strikes like that,but if things don't go right your wrist may be mad at you 'til it gets out of the cast.:eek:

Stomach 9,eh?Guessing I know who you got that from!I've got some of his old books and tapes.Nice books.

8. whoflungdat

yup it sure would, it's difficult to explain the way its done, but there's no stress on the wrist if it's done correctly and yes your right about the origin.

Nice to hear from you.:hat: