Simplifying MAP

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mitch, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It annoys me to no end that on mobile those floating white arrows don't line up like they do on pc.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yeah! What is that??

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's an issue with advertising placeholders that is proving very difficult to sort for some reason. On my PC I don't see the arrows at all, which is how it should be. For some reason they show on mobile screens and have defied Saz's best efforts to remove them so far.

As an update, I'll be simplifying things somewhat over the coming weeks, but am going to spend some time messing around on the test site first for obvious reasons.

The intention is to leave all content in place bar a few obsolete stickies, but there may be some issues, and forums will merge chronologically so posts may move back down a new combined forum if you see what I mean.

4. Mitch

Only a year later...

MAP has an ever increasing amount of traffic via mobile these days, so I'm taking steps to simplify the structure considerably. If you swing by Health and Fitness you'll see the process has started. Hopefully nothing will be lost, there will just be fewer sub-forums to work through :)

5. Pretty In Pink

Good stuff man! Any chance of getting rid of that banner on the top? Genuinely I'd pay for an app version too.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Mitch

You mean the MAP banner or the ads?

7. Pretty In Pink

The ads on the mobile version. I don't mind other ads but that one really gets in the way and makes me anxious.

8. Mitch

I'd love to, but the Ads pay the bills and make the MAP Meet possible.

Mitlov, Simon and Grond like this.
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Flexibility has lost its own sub forum? Booooooo.

Mitch likes this.
  10. Mitch

Ah, but some posts remain pinned :)

That reminds me, I have an announcement to make tomorrow.. ;)

Van Zandt likes this.
  11. Mitch

You should be seeing a lot of changes now, and there are still more to come.

I know that not everyone will like all of them, but hopefully over time it will give everyone a cleaner, easier access to MAP.

One by-product of merging many forums is that the stickies from all of them appear at the top of the forum they merged in to. I'll be going through deleting or un-stickying many of these, so please bear with me whilst I wade through them all. :)

axelb, Mushroom and Anth like this.
  12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Good work, Mitch. I logged in for the first time in years the other day and saw what many new MAPers see - dozens of fora. "Where on Earth would I start if I didn't already know the place?" I asked myself. As you say, over years MAP went from general forums to catering for niches and with that came bloat (yes, I'll admit, I was responsible for a lot of it). In a pre-mobile world that was fine but everyone is used to being able to get to where they want in a few taps now so what you're doing definitely makes sense.

I was surprised at how quiet MAP has become since my last visit though. Gone are the days of half a dozen pages of new posts, but I suppose a lot of that general chatter has gone to somewhere we could never have envisioned when Cooler, HKF, KickChick and the others were here - Facebook.

Yes, shock horror, Anth has reappeared, and no, the site doesn't need to panic. I just dropped out of martial arts years ago so didn't feel I could contribute and am now figuring out how to get back into MA.

Mitlov, axelb, aaradia and 2 others like this.
  13. Mitch

IT geeks love directories and sub-directories :D

Welcome back Anth :)

Anth likes this.
  14. Mushroom

Holy crap, its @Anth :D

Anth likes this.
  15. Pretty In Pink

Woop! Anth!

Also, why isn't judo in Combat Sport section? Or is it just professional combat sports?

Anth likes this.
  16. Mitch

Why isn't Olympic Taekwondo in Combat Sports? There are several instances where you could argue either way, so I made a decision :)

Mitlov and Pretty In Pink like this.
  17. Mitch

The hand of doom, hovering over MAP's forums... :D 20200213_145932.jpg

18. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I like it Mitch. Making things easier for cell phone navigation might bring more members. I know at least one person who doesn't use MA forums like ours for precisely this reason. Adapt or die! I prefer adapt.;)

(p.s. if there is something a non-admin can do to help with the process, let me know.....)

Mitlov, Anth, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  19. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Cheers for the welcome back folks :)

Mitlov and Mitch like this.
  20. Mushroom

Im having anxiety with the lack of ink in that pen! @Mitch

Mitch and axelb like this.