Simon's Sparring Technique Series Vol. 1

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

At the more advanced levels a lot of the stuff isn't necessarily visible as trapping necessarily. For example I can trap just by stepping in from the outside gate. I can engage the hands with mun sao and kick at the same time. They're less obvious traps. And actually what Simon described as a trap from FMA is straight out of wing chun minus a few details but read below.

Yeah but I can't use A two handed clinch and punch at the same time :p

No it has nothing to do with it being wing chun or not but about the principles of good trapping. For example I like the FMA trap in concept. It's essentially a a high line combo bong/huen sao and strike (the wing chun terminology is just an easy way to refer to the movements). But there are a few issues with it which don't follow with good trapping; he's staying equal with the opponent by not angling with his footwork, the other hand isn't even being monitored let along controlled.
    Now if I'm going to use that (and I do already actually) when you circle the hand out you strike in with the other hand. Usually the opponent blocks or is already striking with the other hand so you can control that hand out of the way.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I like to pull the pak or lop out of the "Dos triques" footwork the DB's use - absolutely devastating

I try to work on the "zero pressure" principle because most of my guys are always bladed somewhere on their person!

No but I can headbutt the living snot out of you! :)

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I do love a good headbutt myself :D It's my go to when the tie up gets too close.

Could you expand on what the DoS Triques footwork is?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

5. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

This thread must absolutely not disappear into the internet-oblivion. This is such an awesome thread especially for beginners, that I feel it would be a waste if this thread doesn't get stickied so people like me don't have to constantly bump it back up.

However, I would very much appreciate it if someone could put all the videos of this thread in the original post.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Zinowor, that is very kind, thank you.

All things being well I plan to shoot an update on Sunday. Just a few drills designed to build confidence and a little light conditioning.

I will put the videos in one place once complete.

MAP. It's like an online martial arts course, but for free. :)

7. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I just like the way you explain things and the content of the videos can be very useful if you're having trouble with certain aspects of sparring. These are the kind of videos you like to see when you're on a martial arts website.

8. Simon

As promised I've shot a couple more videos today, this first one being on footwork.

The next couple of videos are aimed at preparing the new student for sparring.

These are drills you can do outside of the class/dojo with a partner in relative safety.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT-y6cfDIy8"]Footwork - YouTube[/ame]

9. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Oh wow. I saw these today. Wow. there's a lot of stuff here that i can use. an a lot that i pieced together somewhat but couldn't understand. Really appreciate the help simon. these are great. bookmarked the vids, will read through the material soon as well.

10. Simon

This video is a little longer because there are three different drills shown.

These three drills have been chosen because you can do them easily outside of class with your training partner.

The idea is that you slowly expose yourself to different punches (although it could easily be kicks) and different levels of speed and power.

Remember we aren't sparring yet. This is about training and preparing yourself for sparring.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNMcSxX7M4"]YouTube[/ame]

11. Simon

Final video for the moment.

This is one of the conditioning exercises we do and I thought it would fit in nicely here.

The idea is not to see who can take the hardest shot, more to expose the student to some level of contact, even if it is just really light.

This helps reduce the amount of "turning away" the student new to sparring does and it can just as easily be done with a turning kick to the thigh or a front kick to the abs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtx8WEhHwY"]Conditioning and Body Shots - YouTube[/ame]

12. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Originally posted by Simon
    Whaaaat? Ya big meanie :D

Seriously though, thanks again for the vids. They're a great help.
    I especially enjoyed the footwork. When my schedule settles down I'm adding it.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Could I ask a question on that last video?

I noticed that when you take the body shot, you tend to turn your side into the punch slightly. I tend to find it's easier to take a punch to the stomach than to the sides - it hurts less and you've got more muscle that's easily tensable there, so if I know I'm going to take a punch to the body, I'd rather take it in the front than the sides. Also, because the sides channel the punch towards the kidneys and exposed ribs, which hurt/break.

Am I reading too much into the sidewards rotation, or is there a specific reason for it?

Thank you!

14. embra

embra Valued Member

Informative vids Simon. Im a bit too busy to post much at this moment and time. However these vids are all constructive building blocks for pretty much any stylist.

15. Simon

Good spot Moosey.

You are correct. Many a good boxer has been sunk with a body shot to the side of the ribs.

I can take a shot there quite well, so that's probably the only reason I've shot the video that way. That said if I was caught by surprise I'm sure I'd drop like a stone.

In addition we will be exposed to all kinds of shots when sparring. It would probably be better for the beginner to take the shots to both the front and side of the abs, but at less power than shown in the video.

It is more about exposure to the shots than the ability to take them.

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Thank you, that makes sense. I guess exposure to the nasty things you're likely to encounter is just as useful as exposing yourself to things you know you can deal with. So that when you do take a punch to the ribs, at least you know what to expect rather than be shocked when it happens.

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The problem with all the above is the only examples of these wing chun techniques you can name is that they are being done by non wing chun fighters, this wouldnt be a problem if you could also show it being done by wing chun trained guys as well, they you could say look we do it as well, otherwise its kind of like people saying look our karate (incert any other style or other art) also has the arm triangle choke in our system its in one of the sets, i mean we cant actually show it being used by anyone but if you look closely you can see it being done solo as we do have it so we are as good as those pesky BJJ guys on the ground

18. Krauss

Krauss New Member

First off, I hope this doesn't count as thread revival, since this is a sticky.

Anyway, nice videos Simon! I like them. Have you ever trained American Freestyle Karate? I know that these techniques are present in many different arts, but the terms you use(Like 'Attack By Combination' and 'Progressive Indirect Attack') sound exactly like a lot of AFK guys(Dan Anderson, to name one). I don't train the style, but I've read a lot of books on it and was just wondering.

Also, at the beginning of the thread, you said:
    I was wondering about this a little bit. Just a quick question: Are you Southpaw because you're left handed? Or is that soemthing JKD encourages? Just curious.

Again, great videos. I found the very helpful :) Most of the techniques I was already familiar with, but your explanations on some of the strategies that I'm not particularly good at were very nice!

P.S. Just sub'd to you on Youtube.

19. Simon

Thank you Krauss.

The right side forward stems fro the fact that I am right handed (footed) and favur the strong side forward, as most of my kicks come from the lead leg.

I also tend to prefer to lead hook, rather than rear cross; probably because of my prefered close up style.

20. Krauss

Krauss New Member

Oh, okay, thanks for the reply. I've been reading up on some Jeet Kune Do stuff, because I realized I really dont know much about the style, and that was one question that was bothering me. Thanks for clearing that up!