Simon's Sparring Technique Series Vol. 1

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thank you Sketco.

2. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Outstanding work Simon - you keep everything relevant and methodical. Your videos are not just a great example of how one should spar, but also a great example of how one should instruct. Keep up the good work old chap! :)

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

this is solid gold simon, your experience really comes through in the videos. pleasure to watch.

never knew you where a southpaw mind, knew i shouldn't have trusted you! haha

4. Simon

Simon's Sparring Technique Series Vol. 3

This video is based on Attack by Drawing

Attack by drawing is essentially counter fighting. It is initiated by `baiting` an opponent into a commitment. It is a premeditated action and its success depends on luring the opponent into attacking the opening being offered. Subtlety is an essential ingredient, as it must not appear to be a deliberate error or the opponent will not take the opening. Attack by drawing can also be offensive actions by making the opponent react in a set manner to develop your own attack.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YXccWkxmd8"]YouTube[/ame]

5. Simon

I feel that many are to far out of distance when they spar, which is possibly why many of their attacks fail. There is to much of a get set and go, instead of an "always ready to go".

That get set is read by the opponent, and by the time your attack is half way toward the target the opponent has read it and countered or moved.

Remember that there is a decision making cycle.

• Analyse
    • Options
    • Choice
    • Do

Analyse

In a moment you need to be aware of the different styles you may face.

• Counter puncher
    • Rusher
    • Croucher and weaver
    • Speed left jabber and so on

The above video is on attack by drawing, or counter punching (or kicking), but that is not to say you cannot counter the counter. If you offer the counter the attacker wants, then you can pretty much be sure of what is coming your way. You can then counter against it.
    You can certainly programme someone into giving a response.
    I shove you, you shove me back.

Options

These are based on your need to maintain distance, control tempo, manage openings etc.
    What will set you apart from others is your ability to create and exploit opeinings, rather than leading with your mind.

Your options (which are shown in the videos) depends on your distance. What works in medium range may not work in long range.

You may feint, lead, distract, counter etc.

Choice

Practice is the key to making the correct choices and drills such as 1, 2 3, and 4 step sparring can certainly help, so long as both parties train with some realism.

It is not just striking, but anticipation that needs to be trained.
    One person attacking and one defending, or techniques in isolation need to form part of everyones training.

The video above shows how to spot an opening. I call it "watch the turbines".

Doing

Doing (successfully) relies on you controlling distance, angles, tempo changes, good footwork and balance, economy of motion and a whole range of other skills.

All of the above needs to happen in a split second, and by being in contol of the above the opponent (sparring partner) is constantly trying to re-assess.

The self defence guys call it the ooda loop, which is an acronym for observe, orientate, decide and act.

On a simple level by constantly moving and disrupting the opponent you keep him in that loop, never able to quite get set or in position to do as he wants.

TVP Comprehensive Boxing Techniques by Tommy Thompson.

6. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Cool vids. Concise, well explained and informative. What more do you want?

7. Simon

Simon's Sparring Technique Series Vol. 4

This video is based on Attack By Combination.

An attack by combination may be defined as a series of two or more attacking motions that flow from one to another naturally. Utilizing the hands and feet either separately or in combination, they are compound attacks, with each opening creating another. Although used in conjunction with feints and all other forms of attack such as a single direct attack, in attack by combination each blow in the series in intended to score. This requires economical motion, tight defence, speed, surprise and determination in execution.

A real simple video giving two examples. One from the viewpoint of the come forward attacker and one from the counter puncher/kicker.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHF7GDTmY8"]Attack By Combination.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

8. Simon

There is one further video to come on the subject of hand immobilisation attacks, or sometimes called attack by trapping.

I have also shot a video showing one of my drills, designed to build up confidence and transition between attack and defensive movements.

If there is something you are not sure of, or something you want to see, then just say.

If it is a case of, "shut up Simon, we're bored now", that's fine too. I can take a hint.:)

9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Pfffffffft...Keep 'em coming I say. Really appreciate you doing these videos!

10. Simon

Thank you.

We all study different arts and have different rules, but there are similarities, so hopefully some of it makes sense.

11. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Another good vid. You're a gifted teacher and it's a pleasure to watch a short that doesn't have style baggage attached. Proving if you're good and know what you're doing, everything makes sense.

12. Simon

That's very kind. Thank you.

13. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Yeah it's very good stuff, you move well. It would be interesting to see how you adept to RBSD.and it would also be good to see how you train, i.e do you use pads, Poor Bob,heavy Bag.also I train punching without gloves and I changed the way that I hook to accomodate a "Streetfight".have you got any tricks or advice like that, dirty boxing etc, headbutt from a clinch etc.either way Quality stuff, world class

14. Simon

I have some experience with self defence and my own art is a mix of boxing, JKD, Kung FU and FMA.
    I have recently begun training with JWT and his RBSD System. I should say though that the drills shown in the videos are mine and don't represent his work.

I use the pads when training my students because I don't believe in punching thin air. It also can lead to hyperextended joints. That and the unrealistic feedback.

My own system does include pangamut/dirty boxing and also dumog (standing grappling).

If you've seen any of the Paul Vunak Strretfighter series then you'll have an idea of my approach.

15. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Thanks for that
    I lean toward the FMA myself and I love that approach

16. Simon

Simon's Sparring Technique Series Vol. 5.

Hand Immobilisation Attack, or Attack By Trapping.

Hand immobilisation (or trapping) tools are necessary when the opponent blocks your single direct attack creating a barrier. In order to continue your attack, you either have to change the line of the attack or remove the barrier. By trapping the barrier becomes immobilised and a new line created for a renewed attack. In addition the opponent is prevented from using the trapped arm (or leg) again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5cdZGQx4k"]Hand Immobilisation Attack.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

C'mon Simon, when are we getting our ABDB (attack by drop bear) video?

18. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

WOOT! I learned something from this video! I learned something from this video! The feint and trap is something I had not thought of because wing chun striking does not have feints!

Now my caveats. Take them, leave them, or pay them no mind.
    -All your traps are at gate 1 or on the forearm. It's much more efficient to trap gate 2.
    -With the first trap where you reach over all he has to do is turn his palm face up into tan sao to negate the trap.
    -The only reason you're gaining the advantage when he uses his elbow is because he's freely giving you his center.
    -If you're doing continuous striking and he parries so far off center it's an easy entry whether he deflects the first strike or not. Again he's giving you his center.
    -The FMA trap I don't like because you're giving an opening for a mantis style hook and you're opening your center.

-Your distance for what you're calling the "wing chun trapping" is wrong. At that distance you can already hit each other. That is the distance for after you have trapped. It's the same issue a lot of people have with chi sao. Wing chun trapping starts at the distance you were working at but you must have the proper footwork to use it.

-Also with your weight that far forward you're having to shift back to use the front kick. At close range where you enter when you trap it's far too slow, you can be off balanced because you have to shift your weight back, it leaves your knee vulnerable to attack and more damage if attacked, and you won't ever be able to punch and kick simultaneously.

19. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

You do realise that this is a demonstration video of basic concepts? So Simon is showing and exaggerating the simplest and most visible elements of each type of movement for clarity. None of this is real speed, real power because then people wouldn't be able to see the basic elements of what is happening.

20. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

True but some things he says are flat out wrong such as when he traps at the wrist and says that the opponent cannot use his elbow. The only reason he can't use his elbow is because he's breaking his own structure and giving away his center line.