Simon's Slog

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Simon, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thank you so much.

I've just had a student call asking for a private lesson next week.

I'm going to continue up until christmas before stopping. We have the class christmas meal in December, with a grading the week before.

The grading is still going ahead because I don't charge for them. The students are continually assessed, with the grading day just a chance for my own instructor to come and check them out and second my opinion of their grade.

2. Simon

I've had a complete break from training since christmas.
    I took the decision because I am working really hard, the kids are growing up and need more time and I was just burnt out.

Anyway the time has come to start again. I am still teaching on Sunday mornings and had a nice session yesterday.
    Today I went for a run. About half a mile slow jog up to the park where I found a row of 16 trees about 6 metres apart.
    I did a fast run/sprint for the length of the 16 trees and walked back to the 15th tree. Sprint 15, walk back 14 and so on.
    The sprints got shorter, but so did the recovery time.
    Finished off with a few stretches and walked home.

Slowly does it, no need to go mad because my body adapts to training fairly well. Obviously getting older means good rest and I'll have to maintain the stretching in order that my back doesn't stiffen again.

Rest tomorrow and see how I feel on Wednesday.

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Welcome back Simon, I wish you well in your training.

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

This is a great idea:cool:

5. Simon

I must apologise for the quite pathetic attempt at keeping this log going, but although I still teach, in regard to my own training I haven't been doing much other than ticking over the past year.

Over the last year I tried to start training with JWT and although his system is excellent and his knowledge up there with the best of them, I found that the travelling and family life got in the way.

My sons are well into their teens and every time I went training something seemed to happen with the kids that required my attention.

So were are we now?

On Thursday I went to the local boxing club. The main reason is they have the facilities I don't. A ring, several punch bags, maize and speed balls and more than anything else it's cheap and close to home.

It was nice to be in the gym again working up a sweat. Although I have a place to train at home, I no longer have a punch bag. I also find it difficult to motivate myself when outside of the gym.

I had a decent hours training, which included bag work, speed ball and skipping.

I also had a few rounds on the pads with one of the coaches.
    This was particularly pleasing, as the only fault he could find was tucking my elbows in slightly tighter and bringing back the jab a touch quicker.

Considering I am quite big on boxing mechanics I was pleased.

Today was a run, 30 minutes through the local parks and woods. There was some walking involved when the tracks got muddy, but that just helped to calm things down and allow me a moment to focus, catch my breath and carry on.

The next boxing session will be on Tuesday.

I'm pretty much want to do my own thing there and was honest with the coach.
    I've told him I am a martial artists looking to use his facility to get fit.
    That said I am very much the boxer while I'm there (no elbows on the punch bags). :D

See you all at the MAP Meet with renewed vigour.

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Yay Boxing! Glad to hear you are having fun and getting out there to do stuff. You old geezers need to move around more :p

7. Simon

Another 30 minute cross country jog, laced with some walking when the terrain got muddy.

It's really cold here with a chilly wind which hit me on the chest as soon as I left home.
    I'm really looking forward to the weather breaking to make the most of some outdoor training.

I need to get fitted for a new pair of running shoes, especially as I've had a dull ache in my left knee for a few days.
    Slightly concerning, as I've never suffered from bad knees.

Now enjoying marmite on toast and a cup of tea.

The food of champions.

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

It's definitely worth getting the right footwear, and combine it with the right gait, otherwise your knees are likely to suffer.

I had knee problems on and off for a couple of years, saw a number of physios and went through a couple of ultra sound treatments, then saw the physio at Uni who pointed out I had slightly flat feet. Turns out wearing flat "skate" shoes was part of the cause of my knee problems. Shoes with proper support and an awareness that my feet have a tendency to flatten (I retrained (tweaked) the way I walk and stand) have meant I have been knee pain free for about 8 years (except 'normal' MA injuries!).

Generally: your training log is great to follow, congrats on finding a boxing gym that suits your needs, and for finding the time and motivation to train (including running/walking) interest midst of competing responsibilities and a difficult decision inflation to your class.

Also, marmite on toast and tea is not only the food of champions, but entirely appropriate at any time of the day. Have you tried adding a little cheddar? To the toast, not the tea...

Best of luck with the continuing training, have you got far with the private sessions with your students?

Cheers, Harry

9. Simon

Nothing major tonight, just enough to feel that the muscles have worked.

Now the weather is slightly warmer I got out into the garden with the weights.

Just some deadlifts, clean and press, squat, press, drop and bent over row combinations with about 16KG.

That was superset with some medicine ball slams.

The neighbours must have wondered what the hell I was doing.

10. Simon

Sunday 14th

Enjoying the warmer weather and experimenting in the garden with some weight lifting exercises.

Although I used to be a body builder, I've never done weight lifting, so I tried some clean and jerks, clean and press and some overhead squats.

I particularly enjoyed the latter two movements and will definitely work these over the coming weeks.

The biggest difference I found is the amount of stabilising muscles that are required with these movements, not something I am used to, as I have usually worked with isolation exercises.

These isolation movements are not what I need after years of driving a desk.

Monday 15th.

In from work and straight out for 3 mile jog.

Note: Tips on the above movements welcome.

11. Simon

My other two sons (aged 15) start their first lesson with me tomorrow.

My students have asked for a refresher eskrima lesson, so I've got some basic stick work planned, followed by introducing them to a lock flow drill.

My son's bedroom often looks like it's been through a tsunami, but today they washed their new kit, ironed it and have gone to bed early.

The difficulty will be getting them out of bed early tomorrow morning.

12. Simon

Another 3 mile jog today around the local lake. The swans didn't look impressed (although I'm not sure what an impressed swan looks like). :dunno:

Sadly the fastest that the GPS tracker went was when I dropped it at the end of the run. :cry:

Still, I was out there training and worked up a sweat, which beats getting in from work and falling in the chair.

The diet has improved recently. No drastic changes, just some basic common sense.

Onward and upwards.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  13. Simon

Another 3 mile run and no back problems, so I need to make that a 2 or 3 times per week event.

Being a little more careful about the diet has paid dividends, as I've lost 8 pounds in the last 2 weeks.

Teaching tomorrow.

14. Simon

It looks as though I'll be going back to teaching two classes per week.

I've been teaching a few students since the main class closed, but only on a Sunday morning. These guys (and girls) have been with me for a few years now, so they deserve the chance to train more.

I'm slowly getting the urge to go back to teaching a proper class and trying to attract a few new students.

I have found a hall, I just need to find out the cost and make the final decision.

Watch this space.

15. Simon

It's been settled. I'm opening the classes again.

5 students have stayed with me training every other weekend, so they'll be a good base to work from. I had a new student come to class today, so hopefully he'll return.

I've a meeting tonight with my instructor and another meeting with senior students on Tuesday and we'll decide a strategy for getting some new students.

I've only got a small hall to train in, but that keeps costs down while we try and grow.

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Hope the break has allowed you to put things in perspective and develop a new lease of life for your training! :)

17. Simon

Thank you. I'm not going to go mad. I've still got a couple of injuries and I do have to be careful with my back, but I have got the bug again it'll be nice to get some new students and start teaching from the syllabus again.

18. Simon

No training at all for over a week. I caught a cold and have had all sorts of aches and pains.
    I'm now quite dehydrated and really need to get some fluids in, in preparation for the opening of my new class on Wednesday.

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Eek! Hope you're feeling better in time for the class! :)

20. Simon

Thank you. Went to the beach today with the family, but only for a few hours.

Washing the van just now had me in a sweat.

I'll keep a bottle of water by my desk tomorrow and ease up on the coffee.