Similarities & differences of Bukti Negara & Serak?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by masterchimp, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Swalesey

Swalesey New Member

You have got me thinking now, because I guess everyone wants to accomplish different things with their training :) . Some may want to be able to defend themselves and other people, some may want to build confidence, gain friends, build their fitness or some may want to gain a more spiritual understanding of themselves through silat.

I hadn't really thought about that when I posted the comment, so I suppose everyone's destination could be to become a more well rounded person through what they learn in their respective places of training.

As long as were all in for the ride, then who cares where were off anyway ^.^

2. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

I've got to agree with you there :D.

Cheers!

3. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Hi Swalesey,

Reminds me of some of my earliest posts here. Some of the infighting made me cringe. As pointless as all of those X vs Y style threads. In fact a lot of other MAists might consider silat an infighting system LOL :rolleyes: .

I usually stay out of the politics but if I feel moved to comment I try my best to be fair and objective. For what it's worth, there doesn't seem to be very much of this infighting and bickering in the UK. But then, I'm not involved in a large school so I'm maybe oblivious. I just keep plodding on in my own little silat world :)

However Swalesey, if you try to ignore all the 'feuds' you can also find a some wisdom here, and certainly some good contacts if you need any. Unfortunately many of more insightful posters seem to have been driven away by the politics :cry:

Just out of interest, what style do you train in?

Anyway, we seem to have hijacked the thread from some serious politicking :p

LOL true for the most part! I suppose it's down to all that line dancing Y'all do :p But what about us Orang Ingris? This old honky once played bass in a reggae band-that's some serious rythmn ;)

4. Swalesey

Swalesey New Member

I have been studying the Lumpat Harimau Minangkabau system of silat at the Yorkshire silat academy for just shy of a year. I don't realy have any experience in other styles other than what I have seen on good old youtube :p . That's why I thought I'd trawl this forum to pick up any knowledge I can about both my own style, and other forms of silat.

I Can see how people can get worked up about the different systems, as everyone probably believes their own to be the best, A more realistic opinion would be that EVERY system has some failings, or advantages above others.

I can speak of lumpat harimau silat for example (as that is the only system I have knowledge of). Some of the offensive moves on the ground may lead you to being in a rather exposed place if they don't work in your favour. But on the other hand moving to the floor takes losing balance out of the equation to an extent, and also can throw an opponent off guard/ give you the element of surprise. So every art has it's negative and positive points.

Sorry for taking this thread a little off topic by the way :p

Moving along now ^.^ :topic:

5. Gajah Silat

LOL I was training in some harimau groundwork a few weeks ago and could hardly walk the day after :D Tough training with the De Bourdes guys so I've heard.

The mainstay of the stuff I study is striking, locking & knifework, which I am more comfortable with.

Funilly enough, I actually don't live too far from the De Bourdes school..........if you ever fancy some technique sharing let me know :)

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Funny, we've spent a lot of the summer training in the Minang Harimau that our teacher learned from his uncle. I'll either have strong flexible legs by the end of the year or be a hopeless cripple :p

7. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

ahaha yes I remember that day well Todd.

Guru Plink's ground work = Death to the reciever
    and pain in the legs to the people training

good stuff if i was lord shiva with 8 arms I would give him 8 thumbs up :)

I remember learning Guru Cliff's Kilat jurus (low stances!!!!)
    I was so sore for a good week or so.

Silat rules in all departments, standing, sitting, laying on the floor.

Peace

Santiago

8. killick57

killick57 New Member

email

Todd, just checking you got my email?

Regards Richard

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

The interesting change in the last couple weeks has been the transitions - standing to ground to standing without losing control of the opponent. The hard part is keeping the center centered and maintaining balance the whole time. The moment you don't *WHAM*

10. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I was having trouble with that account. It turned out to be a corrupt cookie. That's fixed now, and the response should be in your inbox.

11. killick57

killick57 New Member

12. Gajah Silat

We were doing a lot of this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mnuVbxabrM"]Harimau Minangkabau Baringin Sakti Pencak Silat - YouTube[/ame]

The power generated by this type of ground kicking is incredible. Could easily break an ankle or mess up a knee for ever....ouch!

However, watching me go from upright to recumbant is pure comedy and less than graceful to say the least :eek: !

Love watching the De Bourdes lot in action, especialy with the outfits..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocaBelLtGUM&mode=related&search="]Harimau pencak silat - YouTube[/ame]

Great stuff!

Pimp my baju silat?

13. Swalesey

Swalesey New Member

Hehe. well, it isn't what it looks like that'll help you look after yourself :p

And good to hear you've been trying the Harimau out, good luck with it :) . It's never a bad thing to be taken out of what your comfortable with for a bit, see what happens.

That made me laugh out loud :p My dad who has trained in Silat for quite a bit now, jokes that he could crush a walnut with his ass cheeks when he was training more regularly XD . That said I always stay away from the nut bowl at christmas O.O

14. Gajah Silat

I'll certainly not be buying any walnuts in the Knaresborough area after hearing that ;)

15. masterchimp

masterchimp New Member

Hello all.I have been busy with school and unable to come to the forum for a while.Thank you to everyone who has posted on this topic weather you posted an answer to my question or not,you have all been civil.And again,if anyone else has any thing to say about the subject at hand please do so.