Similarities between JJJ and Hapkido

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by hardball, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

We don't have a 80 year old, bald Japanese man with a long white beard yelling at us, so I think i can let out a few secrets here and there :p

TBH, 60% of the stuff we do is grappling-related content, with the other 40% being striking and other stuff.

2. Graham

Graham Valued Member

Not so much, at least actual Japanese jujutsu doesn't have that much, Western versions tend to emphasize this more. The joint techniques in hapkido came from Daito ryu, and most of the striking came from elsewhere.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Which ryu-ha is that?

4. Dean Winchester

Depends on what you mean by "that much" I think and of course it'll depend in the systems in question.

Some may have only limited atemi waza but others could focus on it more.

It seems to me to be more about emphasis than content.

5. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Short memory?

You asked me that when I first started posting here a couple of months ago. LOL. I told you it was Budoshin under professor George Kirby.

6. Dean Winchester

Ah :D

Sorry.

Yes my memory can be a bit rubbish at times.

Cheers.

7. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

There you go

8. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

To say JJJ doesn't have much striking is not correct.

When learning JJJ you don't usually strike with the same purpose as say a Boxer, Kickboxer, but that is not the same as not striking.

Almost all kobudo JJJ schools contain multiple strikes, these are usually taught as kihon, in kata they are usually applied to;
    • Stun
    • Off balance
    • Attack a vital point for an intended outcome
    • Prompt a particular response

Remember also, whenever you are performing a JJJ kata where you are defending from a strike, your uke should be practising that strike.

9. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Hapkido is basically Daito Ryu mixed with native Korean arts, the founder of Hapkido was a Daito Ryu student.

Similarities go further than technique, Hapkido and Aikido (both descended from Daito Ryu) are actually written the same in Kanji, with the same meaning, the pronounciation is just different in each language giving you Aikido in Japanese and Hapkido in Korean.

10. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

Hapkido

I thought someone should point out that Hapkido claims connection to Daito Ryu but there is no real evidence Choi trained with Takeda Sensei. It's a highly contended subject on how or where Choi learned the joint locks that make up Hapkido. Having trained in three separate branches of Daito ryu (Hakko Ryu, Aikido, and currently Hakuho Ryu) and I did some Hapkido in my teens, Hapkido waza application is far removed from its "origins".

On the subject of striking in JJJ, the systems I have been exposed to in my 20 plus years all contained atemi to some degree. I trained with the Indy Aikikai, they had a fair bit of striking, and Hakuho Ryu have what they call Aiki-Kempo which is used to set up waza like Ippon Dori. Really I have found Modern Sogo jutsu (composite arts) are usually the systems that either have lots or none.

:cool:

James Fitzgerald