Siliat clubs in lancashire/manchester

Discussion in 'Silat' started by fingers of stee, Feb 16, 2009.

1. fingers of stee

fingers of stee New Member

Hi all, My name is John, Ive just returned some weeks ago from Malaysia where I was living with my malaysian wife. I trained 5 years there in malyasian sialt and i miss it terribly now. Tho i dont hold grades as such, Ive lots of experience. Im wondering if theere are any teachers in Lancs/mancs area? I dont mind tryining Indoneasian styles. Im currently living in heywood Lancashire, so Im based in a good position to travel. I also Fancy a Go at freestyle, I remember a guy from the 80s named Alfie lewis, and would enjoy training with him, so any info of where his dojo is wiould be appreiciated thanks. Selamat!!!

2. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Hi,

Someone asked the same question not so long ago(take a look in the silat section...a few posts down:)).

There doesn't seem to be anything in the north West!

I'm in much the same situation now. My teacher has been far too busy to fit me in for some time, so I'm struggling to find training partners.

However..

I've attended a Silat Suffian Bela Diri seminar which was good...if you fancy a drive to Wales check it out. I'm also hoping to do their intensive summer course, depending on availability.

Otherwise, I've done a bit of sparring with a friend from a very different style and I'm trying to set something up with a couple of Indonesian students in Leeds - so we'll probably end up training in someones backyard or garage. I know quite a lot of people in the UK Indonesian community in the Leeds-Bradford area, so something may crop up!

There are the Harimau guys in Knaresborough N.Yorks too.

Fortunately, I'll be in Java for a month soon so plenty of opportunity to train with the inlaws.

Anyway, if you are ever on the East side of the Penines there is always plenty of rendang, soto, kari ayam etc. to tuck into:cool:

3. fingers of stee

Hi there! thank you for ll that info. I think i will attend the intensive course too. Maybe its worth my time to get over to wales on a regular basis, as there seems to be no malay stuff in the North. Do you have a website for them please? Hope you have a nice holiday, I too have inherrited a martial arts family of inlaws, and my lovely wife to boot. Though they are muslims, they made me a part of them will a open heart. Ive checked the Indo clubs web in leeds, looks cool. maybe I will go vist and train with them. Ive always found a Big welcome in silat circles wherever i have been

4. Gajah Silat

Hi,

Just google it! There is also a post in the silat section here about it. It is a Bruneian style.

Counting down the days now until our month off:)

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Gajah_Silat,

Dimana keluarga kamu tinggal di jawa? Istri saya dari Bandung :D

6. Gajah Silat

Mas Kakisuper,

Dia keluarga di Jawa Timur...Blitar, Surubaya, Jember dan Srono.:)

Aku pekerjan sekarang. Saya boss lihat. Harus pergi:eek:

Selamat

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Kamu bisa bicara bahasa indonesia bagus!

Saya mengerti, saya perkerjan sekarang juga :D

8. Gajah Silat

9. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

It's all about fast fat people huh?

So that's your secret weapon Om Martin ... heheh!

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Si goblok :rolleyes:

11. Gajah Silat

LOL, I think it's all that coconut milk, us bule can't digest it and it turns straight to fat:hat:

Anyway, I'll be in Java in a few weeks so I'm on a diet! Dropped one stone already, hopefully another will drop off before flying. I will still be a gajah though but less kendut.

My inelegant movement will be the source of much amusement......I have however contributed a new technique to East Javanese silat; Langkah Bebek!!! I have the mother in-law to thank for that little gem:)

12. Rebo Paing

Bukan cuma orang bule yg 'nggak bisa makan santan tanpa menjadi lebih ... mantep! :D

I'm a bit on the 'gendut' side myself (I blame toasted 'keju' and chutney), but ... mungkin kebanyakan arak ular ya? VBG.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  13. fingers of stee

saya tidak faham? saya tidak pandai bertutur dalam bahasa indonesian saya bersas gembira berjumpa bersama Anda bersal dari mana?

14. Rebo Paing

Hi Fingers of Stee, great name btw! :)

The confusion I think is about the arak ular. Arak is like moon-light rice whiskey and the arak ular reference is a joke referring to a picture I've seen of Martin holding a couple of jars of a snake in alcohol!

Salam hangat!

15. fingers of stee

I didnt get to Wales due to work comitments. But I have discovered ' Aikido' I went to a club in Rochdale to see, after I read a poster in Heywood. I was blown away by the personal demo the teacher gave me! Did you ever try this art? The teacher gave me a demo of KI force....I swear to God I couldnt move him or bend his arms. And the dence aginst grabs,,,he could easily have broke my wrist. Im going to persue this art with serious inten. All I need do now is get onta a Aikido thread and find out about the GI and where to buy it??

16. Gajah Silat

LOL, one is not a snake but a huge(& I mean huge) centipede. Arak milyar makes you 'very strong'.......apparently:rolleyes:

Oh, and am I getting my g & k mixed up again?

Enjoy your Aikido FOS! I believe there are many similarities with some silat kuncian:cool:

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The only "arak" I know was an ointment the Indo in-laws gave me to heal some bruises from training, except it burnt like hell and stank of god knows what... anyone else heard of this stuff before?

18. Rebo Paing

Maybe they gave you PPO! That stings and smells.

19. Rebo Paing

'Arak' translates to 'strong liquor'. (Om Martin, your 'k' s are just fine!).

Maybe 'arak' can be used as a basis for 'minyak gosok' or 'minyak urut' (rubbing = gosok; massage = urut or pijet), but I think that its strange to be named the filler and not the primary ingredient (the smelly stuff!). :)