Silat training in Britain

Discussion in 'Silat' started by OkamiRonin, Jan 28, 2006.

1. OkamiRonin

OkamiRonin New Member

Im curious to know what silat schools there are in britain and/or europe. im not particularly interested in the big flashy expensive, schools that claim to be the best but really just care about making money and having students held by contracts and other rubbish- im looking for the simplest, purest school where a proper teacher can show me the ropes of this interesting martial art as im wanting to broaden my understanding of it all. Any help please.

2. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Hey OkamiRonin,

Welcome to the Forum. I would advise you come and see us at EastWest Studios in North West London. The details are at www.eastweststudios.com.

You can simply Pay as you go, per class, so no binding contracts or anything like that.

Have you done any silat before? Hope to see you soon.

Regards,
    Wali

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  3. silatliam

silatliam Valued Member

Hi Okami
    Here is the web address of our Pukulan Cimande Pusaka school in UK and Ireland www.silateurope.com you find lots of info and articles about our style and when seminars and workshops are on.

Hope this helps

Liam

4. Stxsas

Stxsas Keep on Flowing..

Unfortunately there is not a major amount of purely silat schools in the UK, as you would find more Karate or kickboxing schools etc. If you find a school that just does silat then you might be on the right path, but remember that you should check out all credentials of any instructor. Silat is a really good art, as you may or may not know!! Have Fun! :D

5. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Not a major ammount,but there are a few. These few are worth checking out.

6. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

Hi okami ronin.

You can also try Guru Randolph in London he teaches Harimau silat under Guru Richard De bordes. www.de-bordesfoundation.com

Regards
    Bela diri

7. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

On a related topic, that site is terribly designed.... with so much flashing text it is unreadable.... for instance: http://www.de-bordesfoundation.com/products_contact.htm

EDIT: This appears to be happening in FireFox only, IE is showing it non-flashing.... but I dont use IE :D

8. Wali

Wali Valued Member

It's fine with IE6...

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

"IE"?

Oh! You mean "AAAIIIEEEEEE!!!!!"

10. Garuda

Garuda Valued Member

See below a site which lists several pencak silat schools in Europe and other parts of the world:

www.startkabel.nl/k/pencak-silat

I hope this might help you.

Garuda...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  11. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

Hi there

Sorry i didn't design the website drop the webmaster a mail about web browser compatability.

bela diri

12. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

liam-when you coming stateside??

13. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

training in UK>

I highly suggest if anyone is lloking for silat in europe to give Pukulan Cimande pencak silat a try..ive had the pleasure of meeting his teacher and working with his contemporary guru jerry jacobs in usa..Iam sure you will be welcomed....

14. silatliam

silatliam Valued Member

Hi Ramana
    Great to hear from you. It good to find another supporter of Pukulan Cimande Pusaka on the forum. I love to go to the States soon and hopefully will happen soon. I'm busy at the moment with classes here in Ireland and Uk and we now soon be opening our first branch in Africa so the art will soon be Represented World wide. Ramana its a pity we didnt meet up a few years back when you were in Ireland next time you over give me a call. Pendekar Sanders will be in Ireland end of May so if you or any of the guys are interested Stateside you more than welcome to come over.

... All the best..
    Liam

15. britsilatinmt

britsilatinmt New Member

Harcourt Jones, who practices wali songo silat has two new classes linked in with eastwest studios in east london...

Monday class starts at 7.00 to 8.30pm at the Hackney Wick Community Association, The Old Baths, 80 Eastway London E9 5JH Tel: 020 8986 1999. The nearest train station is the Hackney Wick Overland on the Silverlink Line. Nearest Buses are S2 (from Stratford to clapton), 276 and 26 and 388 (both run via Liverpool Street).

On Sunday at 10am the class is at the KO gym at 152 Lower Clapton Road, London E5. The classes are £8. The nearest stations are Hackney Downs, Clapton and Hackney Central. Nearest buses running to Lower Clapton on the Lea Bridge roundabout (a 5 minute walk away) are S2, 253, 393,106,254, 48 and 55.

There is a map on the KO website if you look for the clapton branch the website is ko

16. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

salaams liam,yes hopefully i will be coming back to ireland,iam looking at sept..some of my family come from limmerick is what i have found.ive gone to many places just havent gone to the north yet..i will definetly let you know....pendekar and jerry have my number,,good luck with your expansion in the art throughout the u.k.--