Silat strike "flows" vs. other systems?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by SilatSeeker, Aug 16, 2005.

1. SilatSeeker

SilatSeeker Valued Member

This morning someone sent me the link to a self-defense system based on the old WW2 Fairbanks system.

The first thing I noticed was that the striking didn't seem to flow as smooth as it does in some of the Silat systems I've seen. There was a lot of striking with the same hand by drawing back and striking again, rather than flowing the strikes to elbows to backhands to strikes like they do in my flavor of silat.

Here's the link: http://www.close-combat-video.com/video.s1.html

My hunch is that the flowing strikes of Silat are a by product of fighting with a blade where you want to continue the momentum rather than stop-start-stop-start.

I'm curious how the systems you practice "flow" their strikes.

2. Wali

Wali Valued Member

3. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Most definitely. The flowing aspect of Silat is one of the things I like best about it.

4. amirul_tekpi79

amirul_tekpi79 Valued Member

Pelepas

Peace to all,

In the villages of northern Malaysia, there exist a certain kind of training for flowing strikes. If i'm not mistaken, the training is called Pelepas. How the training goes? I don't know :cool: Pakehraja or SaifulAzraq, would you guys help me out with this?

Peace

5. pakehraja

pakehraja Valued Member

Salam,
    I am sorry amirul, I have no information on the specific training you mentioned.
    I would like to hear about it too if anybody else have the information.
    Wassalam
    Pakehraja