Silat Sparring

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Wali, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Do you find a correlation between those that are good at Kembangan and those that are good at sparing or sambut?

2. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Yes and no. In kembangan you will find some of the movements are taken from silat techniques and some mixed with a beautiful moves that got nothing to do with silat techniques, some silat students will denied this till they were blue in the face :rolleyes: Kembangan is good for continuation of the moves. Smooth transition and agility and flexibility.
    In Sambut, all the moves is designed to apply the offensive or defensive techniques found in silat. The objective is to make a students becomes comfortable with silat techniques and be able to move instinctively.
    For example: In our sambut satu.
    Two students face to face with 3 ft distance, X-defender and Y-Attacker.
    Y-will throw a left hand jab to the face, follow with straight right hand to the solar plexus, follow by left roundhouse to the temple, follow by right hand upper-cut to the chin, and finally a right front kick to the groin.

X-Left hand tap or deflect the attacker's left hand jab. follow by right hand circular upper-block (clockwise), follow by left hand circular upper-block (clockwise), follow with lefthand circular down-block, and finally block with right hand circular down-block (counterwise) and slightly move to ther left at 11 oclock.

X-After finishing the block, X automatically becomes Y. This set should repeated at least five times per set.
    When the students get the hang of it, change the postion from south pole to north pole. Swicth the kicks to others. But still stay on Sambut satu.
    The student must taught to move side to side and to limit the movement backward.
    You will be surprise how students excel from doing sambut in a short time. They will find out themselves what techniques they were off or on and the timing, speed, energy conservation, distance and power.
    My worthless opinion,
    Tristan

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  3. Wali

Wali Valued Member

100%

4. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Pak OJ,

Interesting.

We have an almost identical sambut to this, but without the kick :)

We also do this but drop after the upper circular block & either hit through the groin & pull back through, or elbow to thigh & pull the back of the ankle.

Must have been other copies of that magazine lying around ;)

Edit: Hey Wali, I take it this was just meant to be a do you or don't you spar type thread? Don't they all just spiral ;)

5. Wali

Wali Valued Member

:love: They sure do buddy! But everything sorted now..I hope! :p

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Umm, Wali, just for the sake of information, Tristan has been reading his old Silat magazines for longer than many of the members here have been alive. He doesn't exactly speak from a position of total ignorance about efficient training.

7. Wali

Wali Valued Member

That's cool, and I respect his opinion. That, however, doesn't invalidate mine. Open, polite debate is healthy, and that is what we have been exchanging.

It's what keeps this forum interesting! ;)

8. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Sambut Menyambut

Mas Tristan,

I absolutely agree with you, Mas, this is what I have always been told too. Also I found this in an old silat magazine:

Five phases of training ‘sparring’ from an old silat magazine:

1.Training Position: the trainer must allow him(her)self to be his (her) student’s practice target, by parrying, jumping left or right and occasionally attacking slowly, in order that the students learns to attack and deflect attacks. The trainer must keep an eye on the student’s position and every now and then, correct it.

2.Training the Mentality: the trainer must attack the student normally and every now and then actively seeks to throw the student, to make the student faster and able to stay calm and stoic while always being mindful of position.

3.Training Applications: The student must try to throw his or her partner using the silat he or she knows.

4.Training the Feeling: The student and the trainer must stand close together and at least one hand must always be touching a part of the partner’s body, to detect which hand or leg is about to be used to attack. The traditional maempo Sunda players called this ulin nampel.

5.Training Timing: This training combines all for previous trainings so that the student learns to control his or her partner in such a way that with minimum effort, such as a slide of the foot or a shove of the shoulder or another attack like that, he or she can throw the partner, not using a lot of force, but rather, using precise timing and positioning.

Interest anyone?

Warm salaams to all,
    Kiai Carita.

9. Orang Jawa

I'm so glad that many of you reading the old magazine...an open mind can do wonder, huh?
    Tristan

10. Orang Jawa

Wali said:I certainly have nothing to hide. I have been doing silat since 1992. I am 31 years old. I train under Steve Benitez at Eastwest Studios in Hendon, London. Feel free to visit our website at www.eastweststudios.com
    Wali aka Johnny Silmon? That was my hunches, though.
    Where is Walisongo origin? I have not heard that before...:)
    Tristan

11. Orang Jawa

Wali asked:perhaps you can answer the questions you have asked me also?
    Now I forgot what was the question? Okay now :)
    I'm will be 56 years old in October. My Uncle and my Dad showed me how to read an old magazine (Indonesian and Japanesse issues) since I was five years old.

I used to have a hombu dojo for Shotokan Karate-do and Iaijutsu Omori-Ryu for thirty years, I closed that dojo three years ago.

My little knowledge in silat is coming from strickly in the family aliran and not open to the public.

Now day I only have few private students, we practice Japanese on Thursday and practice Indonesian on Friday night. If the weather is good, we are practice outside in the backyard, otherwise we are practice in my living room. The students are mostly an oldtimers or senior students.

After 12 years of reading the magazine, in 1968, at the age of 18, I received my Shodan in Japanese and NON in Indonesian. NADA, not even a piece of cloth on my waist. 5 decade later, I still wore my old ts and sweatpants to practice and still no cloth or shashs on my waist...darn! :) We got no rank system in the old Indonesian magazine. And my students know that.

Teaching is my hobby or a bad habit "not" my source of income. I will be dead from hunger if i do. :)

Teaching this art have a few priveleges, the only proffesion that you work your students so hard, gave them black and blue, and at the end they say: "Thank you." And if I'm lucky they buy me dinner :)

Honestly, I'm having a hard times to pay anything if we were out. Thank God for that..:) My student run the website, I got nothing to do with it....he wanted to do that, so blamed Gerry. www.silat-video.com
    That's all folks!
    Tristan

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  12. Wali

Wali Valued Member

haha... no.. not Johnny!

13. Kejawen

Kejawen New Member

I believe Silat is for Self-Defense, Culture and Spirit. Even though i take Silat olahraga as a carrer, i actually despise it as it spoils the real silat by making a habit to pesilat(s) that the effective points cannot be hit thus doesn't need to be blocked. I had a group of friends who came from various martial arts, we intend to form an organisation which shows respect among martial artists and promotes martial arts. However, one of my peer is a boxing fanatic who keeps on pressuring me to spar wif him. I've neglect a few times but he kept on pestering me. Other friends had been sparred too but losed thanks to his big size and muscles. On the time i spar wif him, i hit all his chest to stomach pressure points that we had to stop sparring becoz the heat goes up. The next time when he got stronger, i finally has to admit to my friends including him, i don't really like sparring because i dun want to disable or KILL my friend which will regret me for a lifetime. I told them, my art is the art of death, to be used in LIFE-DEATH situation, to finish off the opponent within 3 seconds. I only aim vital and pressure points and i break body parts to disable my opponent(s). Thus i dun realli agree wif silat sparring coz it makes the deadliness of the art goes down. Thus my opinion on silat sparring. Sorry if anyone offended by my opinion but i am interested in remarks bout my concept of silat.

14. Orang Jawa

15. Kejawen

Kejawen New Member

Ok, that's a good remark. I will carry out ur advise the next time he asks me to a spar, for SILAT!!! Meanwhile i have to practise more more till killing in 3 secs is possible. But i still believe it exists. Well at least if that killer uses his Batin. Kebatinan could make someone incredibly strong, to the extraordinary, once he is enlightened and crosses the line of reality. Speed is the KEY, correct application confirms its deadliness. Meanwhile, training makes perfect.... :D

16. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Uri Gellar trains silat...

The "crossing the line of reality" part I believe. :rolleyes:

17. Orang Jawa

Ok, that's a good remark. I will carry out ur advise the next time he asks me to a spar, for SILAT!!! Meanwhile i have to practise more more till killing in 3 secs is possible. But i still believe it exists.

Or till the pig can fly... :rolleyes:
    In my humble advice, practice your silat often, don't worry about how you can kill people in three second. Practice the basic over and over, practice so you don't get hit.

Well at least if that killer uses his Batin. Kebatinan could make someone incredibly strong, to the extraordinary, once he is enlightened and crosses the line of reality. Speed is the KEY, correct application confirms its deadliness. Meanwhile, training makes perfect.... :D

I'm not going to dismiss the benefit of kebatinan, but to say you can kill in three second with batin and be a killer by using batin...this what I call Absurd! Anyone who believe this Myths are learning silat with the wrong reason.
    And I could be wrong too,
    Tristan