silat school in SF bay area

Discussion in 'Silat' started by beknar, Sep 18, 2007.

1. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Someone I know posted this on another forum, so I thought I'd ask around here. Anyone ever heard of this school:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ltmazzola/index.htm

Let me know, thanks!

Also, does anyone know of a Silat school in San Diego, CA? A co-worker wants to train, but has no idea how to find one around here, and the good ones may not be advertising. Let me know, thanks!

2. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

I believe there is a Terlinden group in SF

3. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

One of my students teaches in Redwood City. Feel free to contact me through the website for more information. A friend of mine is the White Crane Silat teacher (from that website you referenced) here in Santa Cruz. I can hook you or whoever is interested up with him.

Another option for you is that we're hosting Guru Stevan Plinck here for a 2-day workshop the 29th and 30th. That would be a great way to familiarize yourself with some of what's around here. I'm pretty sure my White Crane Silat friend will be there, as well as my old pal Guru Rennie Saunders, who studied Mande Muda with Pak Uyuh and Pak Herman Suwanda for 16 years, from 1980-1996. One of his students has progressed pretty far in Baringin Sakti Harimau from Sumatra under Guru Eric Kruk.

Lots to choose from around here. Hope this helps! Cheers.

4. Silat4life

Silat4life New Member

5. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

The first link is to my friend Guru Rennie, and the second one is to a Victor deThouars student in Albany.

[edit] Whoops, my bad - it looks like Bernie may have moved his school to Oakland.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  6. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Get it right!

"Silat" does not translate to "fight". Silat can be transliterated to "martial art" or "the art of conflict". "Tarung" translates to fight, or "kelahi".
    It is generally understood that "silat" contains the conotation of the practical application side of a martial art.

SEA is plagued by a plethora of masters, it sometimes seems that this tendency is what has been exported to the west :rolleyes: ... although I'm not sugggesting for one moment that this is so for "Stillness in Motion" ... or anyone else here :D.

At least I hope we can get the meanings right!

Salam

7. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

Interesting that you "quote" a "post" to this board by "Stillness in Motion", which is not a forum member name. In keeping with your penchant for detailed accuracy, maybe you should cite the reference for what it is and not go out of your way to make it look like someone posted here who did not.

Not to mention that your well-meaning and very funny post is :topic:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  8. Rebo Paing

My apologies Tuankaki. You are quite right.

The mis-transliteration is from www.stillnessinmotion.com.

"To go out of my way to make it look like ... etc. etc " implies intent.
    To clarify, I was not intending to make it look like Stillness in Motion was posting on this board, although I can see how one could think that.

But then English, Forums and technology is your (western) idiom and I'm grateful to have my mistakes in these areas pointed out to me. Indonesian & Javanese on the other hand is my idiom.

And how does an attempt to clarify the meaning of terminology referenced in the course of a discussion, constitute being off-topic? It isn't at all :p.

However ....

Persatuan Gerak Badan Bangau Putih (PGB Bangau Putih) is a respected Indonesian Chinese school of silat kuntao in Indonesia.
    One of the U.S. teachers (Josh) posts here, and he would be the best one to contact about PGB in the U.S. I think. He might even be the same person Tuankaki is talking about. You never know!

9. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

Thank you for clearing that up. As for clearing up meaning of terminology, the original poster simply asked about schools in the S.F. bay area, and not about terminology, English vs. Bahasa, East vs. West, Masters vs. Wannabees, etc. These are all topics you have introduced to this thread.

If "Josh" is interested in letting the original poster or anyone else know about a silat school in the S.F. bay area, then I'm sure his contribution to this thread would be welcome and on topic. Similary if you have some knowledge regarding a silat school in the area that the original poster can check out then your contribution would also be on topic. As it stands your commentary and follow up is not, including open ended speculation about who I do or don't know.

Best Regards

10. Rebo Paing

Well I guess discussion tends to grow organically, it might be something you might consider to come to terms with in future conversation :).

The information I supplied about Josh and PGB was in keeping with the original thread and was in the spirit of cooperation. It had nothing to do with you, nor was it addressed to you.

I detect from your 'tone' that you're a bit sore. I speculate that it's because I brought up a translation issue, but then maybe it's something else, however ... I'm not going to lay awake at nights worrying about it. :rolleyes:

Regards to you too!

P.S. Are we off topic yet, or is this just a slight diversion? Heheh.

11. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

Nah, I'm not sore. I just participated in a thread where I have personal in-the-flesh knowledge and relationships relating to the question, and you came in with all this other stuff that you seem to think is so important that it warrants hijacking a thread about a geographical area you apparently know precious little about. Unfortunately it adds no value to the thread and in fact dilutes my effort to help with real information. So that is impolite enough that I called you on your effect as an irritant, nothing more. You don't have any stature related to "silat schools in the S.F. bay area" such that you could make me sore about anything. My tone is intended as nothing other than matter-of-fact. I guess it might be more palatable if I used the "smiley" and "stick out tongue" emoticons as you have, to soften the "tone" more to your liking, except that I don't care to be mindful of your sensibilities on a thread that you persist in hijacking.

Best Regards

12. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

Hello again Keith,

It just occured to me that the aformentioned Guru Rennie Saunders is now active in teaching Silat Kuntau Tekpi. He has mentioned to me that he's very excited about it - aside from that I know nothing about it other than I recognize a couple of the other instructors on their website.

http://www.tekpi.org/

I bring it up because he has a practice group in San Diego which is where he happened to be just now when I called him on his cell.

Hope this helps.

13. Rebo Paing

Persatuan Gerak Badan Bangau Putih (PGB Bangau Putih) is a respected Indonesian Chinese school of silat kuntao in Indonesia.
    One of the U.S. teachers (Josh) posts here, and he might be a good person to contact about PGB in the U.S.

Good luck and cheers.

P.S. Silat Kuntau Tekpi is a respected school as well. :D
    Also (almost forgot) Kang Yana who heads the Perisai Diri school in the U.S. might be worth contacting, you never know he might have a branch near San Diego (no idea where that is in relation to New York, where Kang Yana is). He also is contactable at sahabatsilat.com as are Jeff Davidson and Amirulhusnitekpi (both from Kuntau Tekpi and Mas Jeff is an instructor in the U.S. as well).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  14. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

As promised, we had a great workshop this past weekend with Guru Plinck and Guru Vanatta. Instructors from Tekpi, PGB, Bledek, and Sera(k) were there. It was a great chance to actually meet some great people from the Bay Area silat scene. Pics here:

www.santacruzsilat.com

Best Regards