Silat MMA fighter. What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Combat Sports, Nov 30, 2012.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm not evaluating the participant's character. It takes an incredible amount of bravery to step into a ring with someone, but you can be brave and still have no technical skill in fighting. I'd like to see Silat used against more technical opponents before making a judgment about the technique.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Not unless you count sarcarstic trolling as type of combat sport :love::D

Or you could just deal with it :cry::cry::cry:

The standard of the fights was very low. That's very obvious. None of the combatants looks especially skilled and the Silat guy was essentially brawling with hands down haymakers and weak tappy kicks. Posing down at the end like you're in Tekken when everything you did in the cage looks more like what you can see outside The Kings Arms on any given weekend looks absolutely hilarious and is risible at best. Contrast that performance to everything you've ever seen on Silat (probably not much in your case) and you have your answer.

Perhaps engage your own brain and critical faculties before coming on here for some quick answers and then getting prissy when they aren't what you want to hear? Just throwing that out there.

3. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Perhaps engage your own brain and recognize that your internet pastime (of insulting and demeaning people from the safety of your keyboard like it makes you a "tough guy") is pathetic and a waste of time for the people actually trying to glean real information from these conversations?

Just throwing that out there.

Everyone else's contribution was useful. Yours was not.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

You might not like my delivery but everything I said is true so you could have learned from that. Shame for you. Best pop me on ignore eh?

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mike, ease up on the sarcasm please.

6. Combat Sports

"Perhaps engage your own brain and critical faculties before coming on here for some quick answers and then getting prissy when they aren't what you want to hear"

This is not what I did. I don't have an opinion yet. I don't know very much about Silat. I am going to have to become familiar with it for reasons of my own training.

So no, not everything in your posts was true. And I did not have a pre-concieved notion. I asked if any Silat practioners could comment on what they saw in the video.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

What Works, Simon has told Mike to ease off with the sarcasm, I suggest you drop the issue too and move on with the discussion. Thank you.

8. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

So let me ask this, if you don't train, then why are you on a martial arts forum? Regardless of what you may have heard, insulting the skill of martial artists with more training than yourself doesn't make you a better fighter.

9. Grass hopper

You hit the nail on the head. Don't worry about him. In fact, I've found your threads to be very interesting since you joined us here at MAP.

10. Grass hopper

Tell us, in your experience, what was wrong with the Silat fighters kicks? From my point of view, they where actually very good.

11. Simon

Guys, no more warnings. Move on with the discussion.

Further posts complaining about other members will be deleted.

12. Grass hopper

Sorry, I hadn't read the original warning. Moving on :)

13. Combat Sports

Thanks. I am not clueless about violence. And I know I have a lot to learn.

Sometimes I start conversations because I myself am not sure about my own notions and want to hear what other people think.

14. Grass hopper

That is a very rare trait, being able to admit when you are wrong and ask for advice from strangers.

Have you ever considered adding karate to your arsenal? A good traditional dojo will give you basically anything you need for stand up game. It covers all sorts of striking, throws, joint locks, the works. And goju-ryú karate even has ground fighting. You might be interested.

15. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Getting back to the technique, maybe Mr. Mangle's "tippy-tappy" comment was perhaps given because the kicks were shot at long range, so not able to deliver large amounts of power through the target.

However, it looked to me that they were delivered to stop his opponent closing in, not to drop him.

I'd be interested in hearing from a silat practitioner as to his failure to get the jumping takedown to work. It's one of those silat moves that always looked dodgy to me.

16. Grass hopper

It looked to me like a lot of what he did was for the purposes of intimidation. Making it so the opponent was afraid to advance. It seemed to work.

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yup, it looked that way to me too.

That may be because he had close to zero game plan at punching or grappling range, but still...

18. Combat Sports

I am currently taking BJJ, and will be starting all of the programs here:

http://www.attributivemartialarts.com/services/

With the goal of becoming an instructor someday. (I know, years from now.)

It is essential for me to get a strong understanding of all of the arts taught in their curriculum and Silat is the one I know the least about.

19. Grass hopper

I noticed that too, that sloppy headlock could have been easily turned to his advantage had he used it. My guess is he didn't feel confident enough to stay at close range. There's much less risk at kicking range.

20. Simon

All of the arts?

I suggest getting a decent base in one system and building from there.