Silat in the movies

Discussion in 'Silat' started by ICT, Dec 11, 2003.

1. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Hello all,

I was wondering if the board members knew of movies that had a Silat style or Silat techniques in it?

Here are some that I know of:

1) Sasha Mitchell's KickBoxer 4 had Silat & Kuntao styles.
    2) Cathy Long's Knights had Silat techniques and she used a keris.
    3) Steven Seagal's Glimmer Man & Out For Justice had Silat Techniques.
    4) Brandon Lee's movies had some Silat techniques: Rapid Fire & Laser Mission are 2.
    5) Bruce Lee's movies had some Silat techniques.

There is another one I can't remember the name but I think it was one of Lorenzo Lamas's movies with Burton Richardson as the Silat practitioner.

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

2. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

i remember growing up in indonesia i used to watch these indonesian 'SILAT' movies late at night! they were cheesy B movies but still i remember them being 'COOOOOOL' haha i cant recall the names of them but i'll let you know if i do.

3. Wali

Wali Valued Member

There is a bit in 'Crouching Tige, Hidden Dragon' where Jen goes into a perfect Harimau position... I like to look at it from a Silat perspective!

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I've heard really good things about the Silat done by Cass Magda in a movie called "Hawke's Revenge" (or "Hawk's Vengeance" outside the U.S.) and really dreadful things about the movie itself. I've never seen it, though, so can't give a personal opinion. And since Cass also did the fight choreographer, I would imagine it's about as authentic as any fight scenes can be in Hollyweird.

Mike

5. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Oh Man, I wonder if we could get them here in the US?

Did you ever study any Silat?

Sincerely,

6. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Found it Mike, Here is there description:

Cass Magda: His name is Elias Garr, in the film Hawk's Vengence. He's a former ex-marine from the Golden Triangle of the Burma/Thailand area. He became involved with drugs, got out of the marines and started doing small time crimes: numbers, drugs...prostitution. But he's smart. He sees that the future is in body parts - specifically body organs. So he steals body parts and sells them on the Black Market. He uses these "Skin Head" gangs to do "Round-ups" meaning catching and killing your guys, usually from rival gangs, for their organs. Elias is an expert in the Filipino martial arts, Kali, so he uses Kali exclusively throughout the movie. Elias is very focused, yet unpredictable. He's extremly precise and organized. And anyone who works for him who isn't those things doesn't work for hime long. He's a cold, calculated killer.

7. butterfly_knf

butterfly_knf New Member

Hi everyone;)

Aah~~I'm not sure I can remember which movies had Silat in it.
    Surely there's many in Indonesia, but the most realistic ones were usually performed live stage as in Ketoprak, and others Indonesian live art.

Hmm... I know I firstly saw Silat in "Siti Nurbaya"- but that's not an action movie (it's drama).

Really, I often saw Kali in foreign movies rather than Silat.. they're kinda hard to find..
    Btw, one of reasons why I don't agree with today's Silat movies is.. they'd lost their personality. They seemed more like KungFu & Karate. And the customes... Argh--!

I still love classic MA movies (such as Bruce Lee~_~). they're more touching.

8. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Here is one,

Now it's not tottaly Silat but knowing the Sayocs it's in there believe me.

Tommy Lee Jones - The Hunted.

A lot of knife fighting (Kali) movie that all should see.

Sincerely,

9. tok_dukun

tok_dukun New Member

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

ICT,

Sounds like the common denominator there is Burton Richardson. He played one of the villains in Kickboxer 4 and that Lorenzo Lamas flick (which I just rented recently in a bout of self abuse). And he was an extra and (if I'm not mistaken) fight coordinator for Knights. For whatever it's worth, you'd probably be pretty disappointed with the Lamas flick. They talk about Indonesian martial arts, but it was made up (to my knowledge). "Paso dyak", which was then combined with karate to make "the most dangerous style." :rolleyes:

The actual fight scene at the paso dyak school looked pretty much like any other fight scene. Richardson was the only one in the fight who knew any silat as far as I could tell. There was also Jeff Pruitt, I think. And Koichi Sakamoto. Lots of spinning and flying kicks, etc. So double stick work, some kali hand trapping stuff, etc. But a far cry from any serious display of silat.

As for Hawk's Vengeance (I'm a big fan of b martial arts movies), Cass Magda uses mostly kali throughout. There are scenes with him doing some stick and knife work. Mostly on his hapless henchmen. Pretty decent, but again not really an illustration of silat.

Stuart

11. Wirana

Wirana New Member

French Movie with Silat elements

You just got to watch the movie Brotherhood of the Wolf. It had beautiful fight choreography and definitely has silat styles incorporated in it.

The stick fight is stylish with slow motion effect. The movie itself is rather stylish comparable with the Matrix though it is set in pre-french revolution period.

Plus, it has Monica Bellucci too - using her folding fan as weapon.

12. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Pete Po Ching had a bit part in Kickboxer 4.

When I talked to Cass Magda last I asked him about Hawk's Suckage^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Vengeance. He said "The hard part was figuring out how one if them (a run of the mill kickboxer) could beat one of us (a Silat guy with two big knives)."

13. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Amen. Not least of all because it makes fighting with knives look like what it is - dangerous, painful, ugly, bloody, crippling, brutal, frightening.

14. rizal

rizal Valued Member

well, I like to see some 'true' silat in action movies.
    most actors in movies i've seen basically incorporate silat moves in his/her techniques, which means they are not practicioners.
    (sigh) to see buka pasang and silat grappling (sigh)

15. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Members,

Ok I have another one,

O'ong Bak, Now it is billed as Muay Thai but it is actually Muay Boron the old school combat style that came before MT and Boron has a lot of Silat flavor.

Watch the movie and you will see the silat flavor & techniques.

Sincerely,

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't have much of a silat background. What parts of the muay boran resemble silat? (I'm an FMA guy mostly. And I'm always interested in seeing the connections between various SEA martial arts.)

Stuart

17. Killbot

Killbot Valued Member

Chronicles of Riddic k (I know, D-O-R-K :p )

Mr. Disel was taught a form of Kali Silat I believe.

And Matt Damon in the Bourne movies trained in Silat for the movies.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  18. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Stuart,

The low stances, fast explosive knee and elbow combinations, angulations and foot patterns are all reminiscent of Silat.

If you watch the movie you will see it looks like Muay Thai BUT not exactly either. Muay Boron is much more deadlier!

Sincerely,

19. Jebat

Jebat Valued Member

Hi Eddie and others,

There are some movies with Silat in them. But not that many. Forget about the hollywood and European movies. There is nothing there. A technique or two as you mentioned Eddie, but that's about it. In Holland there was some Silat stuff in TV series and such during the seventies. This of course due to having so many Indonesians in Holland. But TV stuff is hard to get, although they're putting some on DVD nowadays. Kids TV series like 'Q and Q, The Kris van Pusaka' had some and some dancing in it if I remember well. But still not like a whole Silat theme. Movie making in Indonesia and Malaysia is not an incredibly big thing. There's two movies I know from the top of my head. From Indonesia, and this one is a definate MUST see: "Harimau Tjampa" from 1953. The fighting scenes are sometimes a bit slow pased, but they are really really really trying to show some technique. I love this movie......
    See the following link and buy the DVD/Video:
    http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/mai/films/tiger.html
    I quote:
    "Filmed largely on location in 1953 in villages in West Sumatra (the region of the matrilineal Minangkabau people) Djayakusuma's The Tiger from Tjampa is still highly regarded today in Indonesia as an early fine portrayal in a fiction film of aspects of a traditional regional culture.
    Set in the 1930s, and narrated like a ballad from the past, The Tiger from Tjampa tells of how a young man, Lukman, seeks to avenge his father's murder by learning pencak silat, a traditional form of self defence, based on the movements of animals. The pencak silat seen in the film is regionally specific to West Sumatra."

Then another movie, and this time from Malaysia is "Puteri Gunung Ledang"
    See the following site:
    http://www.pglthemovie.com/

It's a stunning looking movie. They spend millions on making it and it certainly looks fantastic. The first 5 minutes have a perfectly modern choreographed beautiful silat fight between 1 guy and a group of attackers. Technique and everything very impressive. After that the movie is dreadfully boring as most people I spoke to in Malaysia agree. The story is losely based on the story on the Malaysian kingdom of Melaka. It's just about two people of the whole story. Very incomplete. It could have been a block buster epic story with all the costume and surroundings. But it didn't.
    Nevertheless, worth watching and owning this film. That one fight scene is great!
    Nevermind the only other fighting scene in the movie, which is suppost to be magic with flying around throwing energy at eachother, what a joke.....
    I qoute:
    "The historic Malaysian kingdom of Melaka was once one of the world's great trading ports and the most powerful maritime empire in South-East Asia. Puteri Gunung Ledang is set in the thriving 15th century Melaka Sultanate and the grand Javanese kingdom of Majapahit. History, mythology and fiction are fused to tell a fateful tale of forbidden love, in a time when allegiance and honour to country are foremost to personal desires.
    Gusti Putri Retno Dumillah (Tiara Jacquelina), a Princess of the Majapahit Kingdom, has fallen profoundly in love with one of Melaka’s most commanding and spirited warriors, Hang Tuah (M. Nasir). A vivid dream compels the Princess to commit the unspeakable and leave her assigned palace life. Without consent from her King, she sets sail across the open seas with the unflinching hope that she can be reunited with her one true love."

There is more Eddie! But I will have to find out. I'm in Malaysia a lot and I'm going to dig deep to find stuff. I've already dug deep when it comes to magic and plant medicine and poisons and such. Don't worry, it's just silat related research. I'm trying to compile some info in order to make more of a picture on Malay silat and related topics. Stay in touch and I'll let you know about other movies I'll dig up. My email address is jebat@dudlow.com

Regards,
    Jebat

20. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Krabi Krabong, a traditional thai martial art, part of which is muay thai boran, or the empty hand component, also contains judo style throws as well as these weapons:

"Krabi" (sword)
    "Plong" (quarterstaff)
    "Ngao" (staff with blade in the end)
    "Daab Song Meu" (a pair of swords held in each hand)
    "Mae Sun-Sawk" (a pair of clubs)

Does this help?