Silat finish techniques...

Discussion in 'Silat' started by scottsummers, Jan 14, 2008.

1. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Oh, but you are! You are!

Think of it as blessing him with the Enlightenment of Manju Sri which strikes like a thunderbolt. He'll either be a nice person, have a long time to consider his errors or burn off that nasty old karma and get a fresh start with a brand new body (no guarantee about species) :love:

2. Kertas

Kertas Valued Member

harimau - the human animal

hey guys, lets stop lecturing each other and grasp the sentiments displayed.. so the topic was harimua finishing techniques.. hmm, i learnt a few harimau techniques and unfortunately didnt learn enough to be able to give advice on finishing off technique.

i do however have to mention that one strike of a harimau practitioner is enough to make you surrender. that is if you do it correctly. most silats will teach you the importance of the first strike/offence/defence. if that is done corectly, its should leave a "zing" in the opponents ears,face,head or heart. im sure harimau guys know what im talking about. and if you are Not gay, then dont be shy to attack the balls too hehe :woo:

so is it really the starting point, or the finishing technique hmm? just a question

3. Raden-Rahmat

Raden-Rahmat Valued Member

back to basics

like kertas says, the first strike is paramount, even so would be the 1st langkah...even more deeper would be to say your first reaction would be paramount. im just being cautious when i say consider the consequences cos it might be getting that buah pukulan in your face if you are hasty lol...but in all honesty, if some enraged rogue tries to get your wallet and watver, im sure any of us here would love to give him a hand, excuse for making it seem to light...but thats silat...i have to use the bunga in my speech too....lol

4. Saiful Azraq

Saiful Azraq Valued Member

My 2 sen again

Salam hormat everyone,

Once again, I join the fracas when everyone has gone for coffee (or tea, depending on which continent you're on).

Sgt Major
    "Silat in general has a lot of useful techniques, and with the right person and the right mindset and training is a devastating art. Its just disheartening to see so many people half training and thinking they are devastating".

Sgt Major, my uncle, these words of wisdom should be printed in bold and taped on the exit sign of every silat school. :)

ICT
    "Silat as a whole does not do Controls such as Joint Locks, Armbars, Chokes and etc."

If, as a whole, you mean, most silat, I would disagree with you, since statistically, there are hundreds, if not thousands of silat in Malaysia and Sumatera which do joint locks. Armbars... not so much. But chokes? Goodness, chokes we do.

The difference is in displays. Most traditional silat will not display a choke in public due to issues of honour of the performers, but more modern variations such as Silat Cekak and Silat Gayong have no such qualms. The chokes are either applied directly to the neck region or as a secondary target using the opponent's own limbs, clothes or by leveraging on his neck at an angle.

ICT
    "You're correct you can't break student's bones in class but you can teach how to do it and train your mind to actually break it in a real encounter and go through the motions to train the subconscious & muscle memory."

In more modern silat, sometimes they forget about this and go about with quite unrealistic training. In more comprehensive traditional styles, the master keeps a close watch on the 'reality' of the training his students receive which always involve the element of surprise and ill-preparedness. But that was back when there were no laws and parents gave up their rights to their children's teachers.

The white cloth that was presented to the master during initiation is often described as the students' willingness to die in training and the absolution of blame on the part of the master. In short, back then, they did train to kill. Sigh.

Stolbart
    "I study Tai Chi Chuan and Silat Lian Padukan and have never yet encoutered a technique I believe to be a restraint or a hold or for that matter a block."

Stolbart, my friend. LianPadukan is not silat. So, it's difficult to make that generalisation.

Raden-Rahmat
    "It was not for survival or defense as the average man would have it, but to the refined pesilat silat was a system, a system of moral maintenance and social stability."

Brother Raden-Rahmat, silat was and will always remain a method of survival as it was born from survival, even as the average man sees it. The Melayu were a warring race and as one sociologist put it, used to enjoy scuffles and the opportunity to use his keris wherever he saw his honour compromised.

However, as with all cultures, they matured quickly, due to relations with other races and had very structured social systems and laws. Animism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, India, China, Arabia, Persia, Portugal, England, all played important roles in maturing this race.

So too, did silat evolve. At this point in time, the police and the military have taken over our defensive roles, but silat still exists. Devoid of a national role, silat has fallen back to the only role it can still play, personal security and personal development. This is the role that it has continued to take on for itself in the last 100 years.

The lawlessness of the lands made for good silat, but it is now what you say it is. In some quarters, this has meant a watering down (Draeger Sensei's term) of the realisticness of silat methods, but the true masters of silat didn't (and still don't) have a phone number for Draeger Sensei to call. (Nor a website).

"The 3 ways of Silat the way of the tongue, the way of avoidance and the way of subduing without hurt."

I agree.

"I was told the highest of all confrontations would be to stop your opponent without hurting him"

I agree, but it's obvious that in many Asian societies, this is held to be the pinnacle of martial knowledge, of fighting without fighting (eh? sounds familiar). In many circles, it's called diplomacy. If you look up the word Pendekar in our local Kamus Dewan (Dewan Bahasa & Pustaka Dictionary), one of the definitions is Politician.

Sgt Major
    "Someone attacks me, Im not interested in showing him how to be a better person, I'm kickin his ass a. to get away and b. retaliation"

Sgt, men freund. I know you understood that what Raden-Rahmat was saying is that the educational value of silat for the fighter is highly regarded. But, I don't think he meant that at the expense of being a lousy warrior.

Gajah Silat
    However, we are learning how to hurt people if the need arises! The if, when, and how much force to use, of course are the key issues.

These words, too, are wont for framing on the exit!

Kertas
    "Most silats will teach you the importance of the first strike/offence/defence. if that is done corectly, its should leave a "zing" in the opponents ears,face,head or heart.

Raden-Rahmat
    "Like kertas says, the first strike is paramount, even so would be the 1st langkah"

It's interesting both of you say that, since LianPadukan (Stolbert talked about it) maintains that it's the second strike that more important, as the first strike often misses. Now THAT fodder for a good discussion. (Did I say fodder???)

Salam persilatan,

5. Raden-Rahmat

Raden-Rahmat Valued Member

why fodder??? yuck!

firstly, im gona say this. you right that with the historical aspect silat was meant for survival. but im taking it from the islamic perspective, where we are taught to behave as the Khalifatullah. i speak mainly from the islamic perspective since im muslim. i dont disregard past attitudes of silat though as it is part of development.
    So when i say that not survival, im looking at it from the most humane sense that we are no longer in that mental state of devastating and destroying people as was the case in the era of the Colonialist. We are now in the era where beauty and tolerance and exceptional dignity must be shown in anyway possible. nobody says striking someone will not be accepted but we say strike him and take him down and share some words with him. get him to retreat from his wicked behaviour.

Kertas is my brother Nadzrin....we are from the same school of silat too. we have met with Guru Azlan when he came to South Africa as well. interesting information. as for the first strike...its the way of our teacher...1st movement should be well calculated... if you can that is...if tikme ever did help us out...and our mental agility, which is never upto scratch.